Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix, Garageband and the Park 75 Model

phil_m

I was messing around with Garageband on my iPhone 6S Plus the other night (something I've hardly ever done) and recorded this little piece. I plugged the Helix's 1/4" out into the guitar in of my SonicPort VX and just used it as an interface in GB. All amp modeling is the Helix, it's just that I don't a camera kit, so the SP VX worked great, I thought. The drums are just using one the GB virtual drummers.

This is a Park 75 preset I modified. The core of the tone is the amp and the OCD pedal. I'm just impressed with the range of tones I can get from this combo, and how touch sensitive it is. All parts were done with the same preset, and I didn't even change anything in the preset for the different parts - just picking attack and different pickups (guitar is my American Deluxe Fat Strat). No post-processing on anything here.

https://soundcloud.com/phil-miller-20/park-75-jam-093016

• Upvote 1

Garageband is surprisingly functional...the interface may look a bit "toy-ish", but for getting ideas down quickly and easily, especially if you're working solo, it works quite well. Don't know that I'd record an entire album with it, but for demoing stuff...a with few good plug-ins, and you can turn out a pretty decent sounding mix.