Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Quick question before I take the Helix plunge....

rick_hollis

Hi all,

I am thinking of going the Helix route for my effects but wanted to know one thing before I spend the money on one -

Is it possible to run it via 4 cable method and have an IR block only on the XLR outs feeding FOH while the 1/4" outputs feed my tube power amps and cabs onstage without cab simulation?

Thank you,

Rick

Yes, the setup is easy to do. As cruisinon2 says there will be tonal differences unless your IR block + FOH speaker exactly mimic your physical cab which is highly unlikely. I would focus on getting the FOH sound th best it can be for the audience and then EQ the signal for your amp/cab stage monitor. Presumably only you and the band will hear that.

This is a method i have thought about doing too...the easiest way is if you have access to the PA you will be playing through (assuming you use the same one all the time).

My problem is that I don't have that luxury, and while I have got some great 4CM tones and also some great tones to a (sort-of) FRFR speaker, I don't yet have the confidence in my tweaking to combine the two

This is a method i have thought about doing too...the easiest way is if you have access to the PA you will be playing through (assuming you use the same one all the time).

My problem is that I don't have that luxury, and while I have got some great 4CM tones and also some great tones to a (sort-of) FRFR speaker, I don't yet have the confidence in my tweaking to combine the two

Could it be done? Sure, with enough time and sufficient knobulating...

You could also run a marathon in ski boots and an old brass diving helmet, but why would you? It'll take 10 times longer, and you'll be crippled when you're through. It's hard enough to get theses things to sound good when you're only concerned about one amplification method, let alone two that are polar opposites, running simultaneously. It's a whole lot of wasted energy. If you really love a tube amp roaring away, great. Do that, and mic it like we've all (many of us anyway) been doing for years. Gigging is enough work without giving yourself extra obstacles.

Thanks guys. You're right jononguitar, it is worth doing. I used to use a Kemper like this and it sounded glorious onstage with a direct feed going to FOH without the fuss of mics.

Only drawback was that the Kemper only had a mono monitor out and I like to run stereo.

I'd like to be able to kick my 2 cabs around onstage to point them where I need to be heard without the hassle of mics. 

The only decision I have now is whether to buy the floor or rack version.....

Buy the rack -  I had a Boss GT 100 and GR 55 which were both floor units. When I went Helix I went rack because I thought I'd build a much better relationship with a device that I could easily access. I don't have to bend over, sit down etc to tweak on the fly. It literally sits at waist level and begs to be tweaked!  Out front all I have is a Helix control and Wah - uncluttered and creates quite a lot of curiosity! I have it in a rack in a bag on an amp stand.easy peasy.

One other question if I may to Helix owners.

Can I assign the volume knob on the front of the unit to only adjust the 1/4" outs and not the XLR?

That way I could adjust the volume of my returns to my respective amps and not affect the signal going to FOH.

Thank you

Rick

One other question if I may to Helix owners.

Can I assign the volume knob on the front of the unit to only adjust the 1/4" outs and not the XLR?

That way I could adjust the volume of my returns to my respective amps and not affect the signal going to FOH.

Thank you

Rick

Yes, use the 'Volume Knob Controls' parameter on the 3rd page of Ins/Outs in Global settings.

Thanks guys. You're right jononguitar, it is worth doing. I used to use a Kemper like this and it sounded glorious onstage with a direct feed going to FOH without the fuss of mics.

Only drawback was that the Kemper only had a mono monitor out and I like to run stereo.

I'd like to be able to kick my 2 cabs around onstage to point them where I need to be heard without the hassle of mics.

The only decision I have now is whether to buy the floor or rack version.....

There's a forum member who does this

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8508/28196167100_1fd3aa8ac5_k_d.jpg

Has two Fryette Power Stations feeding two 1x12 Orange cabs on stage with the xlr's going front of house.

• Upvote 1