Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD500X and HD500 - Sharing Patch Settings

williamrobyasm

Are you aware that we have Customtone where you can post the patches instead of making videos hoping that we catch the settings to replicate them as you twist the knobs. 

I like to do them the old way, manually, just like I do in the pedals. With the videos I can interact with everyone through the messages on the channel, listening to their opinions, their requests, talking about sounds, guitars and more. So everything gets more alive than just abandoning a cold download link without interactions.

I like to do them the old way, manually, just like I do in the pedals. With the videos I can interact with everyone through the messages on the channel, listening to their opinions, their requests, talking about sounds, guitars and more. So everything gets more alive than just abandoning a cold download link without interactions.

Sure. But most people put the download link in the description beneath the video. 

You still fulfill your need to talk to people, and the download is there too.

• Upvote 1

I'm curious as to why you choose to use the preamp models instead of the full for your tones. I use an Alto 212 powered speaker and I've noticed a couple of tones I downloaded that sound great are using the preamp version as well. Still trying to figure this thing out. Thanks!

The least is more. The ear told me it was good. Then I stop!
All patches have:
1 overd or dist, 1 amp simulator with cabinet simulator, 1 delay and 1 reverb.
It's ready!
This is my sound! It could have been just for me but I decided to share with friends of my own free will. I hope to help someone... and you can edit it.
Thanks! :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • williamrobyasm changed the title to POD HD500X and HD500 - Sharing Patch Settings
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this thread, and thanks for the videos showing how you actually created the patches.  I just bought a used HD500 (not the X) to get me by until I can afford the X or better, and I'm still getting to I know the board.  I find seeing how you created them extremely helpful.  Also, it has at least one foot switch that will need to be replaced, so I'll definitely be digging into that video later this evening.  

Have you ever replaced the toe switch on the pedal?  This one seems to be non-functional.  Is it the same type of switch? 

Thanks!

3 hours ago, SixStringFlyboy said:

I just bought a used HD500 (not the X) to get me by until I can afford the X

NO 

There is no difference between the two units. It is a waste of money to buy one if you own the other. There are literally the same unit. 

3 hours ago, SixStringFlyboy said:

Have you ever replaced the toe switch on the pedal?  This one seems to be non-functional.  

because you are new, I will say the same thing I say to all new people 

this is not a wah or volume pedal. this is an expression pedal. you have to assign things to it in order for it to work. 

putting a wah or volume pedal in the signal chain is not enough. you have to also assign the exp pedal to the effect. 

I say this to make sure that it is the pedal not working and not just a "oh, that is how you do it" situation 

Also, and depending on what you mean by "it doesn't work", many of us have shaved the rubber that is underneath the pedal. it makes activating easier. 

You know, just in case it is the on/off part that isn't working. 

2 hours ago, pianoguyy said:

There is no difference between the two units. It is a waste of money to buy one if you own the other. There are literally the same unit. 

..except that the X version has 20% more DSP resources available thus lifting the reachable DSP maximum limit, to allow if/when needed the creation of particularly complex patches that require more resources. .

..the total number of available blocks in the chain is the same in both POD versions, but each of the available models consumes its particular quantity of resources..

..and by combining in a patch some very resource hungry models you could easily hit the DSP limit well before having used all the blocks theoretically available..

here and only here is where the 20% more resources available in the X version makes the difference..

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

and don't forget the glowy footswitches that cause a 60hz pulse on certain lots of units. but, hey, at least it is in sync with the tempo flash. 

although they do seem to be holding up better than the original footswitches

so, ok, you got me. 

if someone wants to run 2 amps and 8 reverbs/delays at the same time, they probably need the X because we got lucky enough that the processor was no longer made and L6 was forced to use a newer one. 

but at the same time - you've also seen that talking about this with new people really confuses most of them. which is why i am glad you brought up that they are limited to 2 amps and 8 effects no matter which unit it is. 

10 hours ago, pianoguyy said:

if someone wants to run 2 amps and 8 reverbs/delays at the same time, they probably need the X because we got lucky enough that the processor was no longer made and L6 was forced to use a newer one.

In reality it takes much less to reach the DSP limit with an HD500 just by trying to build fairly ordinary patches.

It is sufficient to put 2 amp models in the chain (nothing bizarre or so unusual) and for sure you will not be able to use all the remaining blocks theoretically available with an HD500, with an X version you have more chances to succeed.

Just a simple example (but I could do several others):

to avoid the time lag (in some cases inappropriate) that happens in changing patches, a trick is to build 2-patches-in-1 taking advantage of the 2 parallel chains (which in this case alternate), creating a normal and independent rig in each of the parallel paths.

In a case like the above one the total number of theoretically available blocks is barely enough.
And that 20% more DSP resources of the X makes the theoretically total number of usable blocks more real.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

4 hours ago, pianoguyy said:

I know people say that. 

But since I haven't run into it myself... lucky me. 

I only run into DSP problems when downloading from Customtone. Nothing I create myself. 

And I typically end up deleting everything from Customtone anyhow. 

Most of the time even I haven't reached the resource limit with my HD500 which I still use.

I tend to build quite simple rigs 90% of the times..

but when I tried to create 2 patches in 1, or patches with a blend of 2 amp models for new sounds plus a minimum of effects, I reached the limit quite easily.

actually there are several good reasons to create 2-patches-in-1 presets when needed, for example:
1 - to avoid time lag when changing patches
2 - not to suddenly cut the delay tail during patch change
3 - to play 2 different instruments (eg bass and guitar) connected to the same POD at the same time

and then the many possible combinations of 2 amps and/or cabs and/or mics you could do to create different new sounds from those obtainable with rigs based on a single amp.

No limits to the creativity, but.. hardware has limits... the higher the threshold the better ..

The HD500 is a dual chain device for a reason, but the X version can do more fully what it was designed for, and therefore is a better device in comparison, and as such is worth more.

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

OK, good. 

So, outside of a forced hardware change that may allow a small portion of users to be able to "be more creative"... 

do we both agree that the four units (500, 500x, pro, pro x) are the same unit? 

and outside of the OP owning a (possibly) broken 500, would you see any reason for him to buy a 500X if they were looking for an upgrade? 

2 hours ago, pianoguyy said:

OK, good. 

So, outside of a forced hardware change that may allow a small portion of users to be able to "be more creative"... 

do we both agree that the four units (500, 500x, pro, pro x) are the same unit? 

and outside of the OP owning a (possibly) broken 500, would you see any reason for him to buy a 500X if they were looking for an upgrade? 

The four units (500, 500x, pro, pro x) share the same brain, but I consider the X version what the HD500 should have ideally been from the beginning.

I use the HD500 no problem at all, but I would have preferred it was like the X version, which even if just for a 20% it is an improvement over its predecessor, even if it has been forced, thus it happened by chance, not previously planned.

Sometimes chance or destiny reserves good surprises to those lucky enough to catch them at the right time.

In regard to the OP owning a (possibly) broken 500, I would say to him that the X version should be considered more like a welcome completion of its predecessor than a big upgrade.

A substantial upgrade would rather be to get one of the 3-4 high end modelers currently on the market.

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...