Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Best Yamaha PA speaker for Helix?

wilkinsi

I'm trying to decide which one to go for - the Yamaha DBR10 or DXR8. I've tried both, and the DBR10 sounds as though it has more bass. Other than that, I couldn't really hear any other tonal differences. For those who have experience with these two PA speakers, which would you say is better and why? I would also like some advice as to level settings on both the Helix and the PA speaker to get the best out of them. Thanks in advance.

I chose a pair of the DXR10 for their more versatile Inputs and Wedge position capability, (and compact size and lighter weight than the often suggested DXR12). The DBR10 sound nearly identical to the DXR10. I did not listen to the 8" version of either.

It would stand to reason that the 10" will deliver more bottom end, particularly if it is positioned horizontally or stood vertically to acoustically couple with the floor rather than elevated on a pole or on an amp stand.

Overall the Yamaha DBR and DXR sound very good. If you plan to be using either as a personal Monitor they should work well so long as they are not too near field. For PA, depending on the size of the room you wish to fill with sound, this will affect what size works best for your needs.

The main design differences between the DXR and DBR is the DBR has a speaker design that provides a more prominent bass and it also has the capability to mix two input signals.  I use the DXR12 myself.  I really didn't consider the DBR simply because it tends to be marketed more toward front of house applications and particularly toward DJ applications.  I've come across a bunch of DXR/Helix users, but I can't say I've come across any DBR/Helix users.

The reason I went with the DXR12 was due to the fact that I often play a Gretsch hollow body and very often finger pick it in a Chet Atkins or James Taylor style and the 12" speaker configuration gives a little more body to the sound.  It also helps when I'm using the Les Paul in a more overdriven style to make it sound a bit bigger on power chords.

In my case I use it as a floor monitor on stage so I have the switches set to monitor and set the low cut to 125hz which seems to best match the sound I'm getting from the FOH system which is typically a QSC KLA12 line array.  I keep the DXR volume knob set at the 12 o'clock position and typically have my Master Volume on the Helix set to about the 11:30 position.  In that configuration I try to target all of my patches to average about 95 to 98 db which is about right for our band's stage mix which consists of two guitars, a bass, drums, harmonica and typically three part harmony vocals.  On larger stages and venues I have never had to go up more than the 12 o'clock position on the Helix.  There's more than enough headroom on the DXR to handle any stage I've played on at the 12 o"clock position without invoking the limiter on the DXR.  I often play with another band in a venue in which we don't put the instruments through the PA (other than the electronic drum kit).  Because of the acoustics in that room which are very "live", I bring my Helix Master Volume down to around the 10:30 position which is more than enough to fill the room.

But a lot of my configuration is dependent on how your band manages the stage and live mix.  We tend to be pretty disciplined in that regard as we've been together as a band for 9 years or so.

You may also want to check out Marco Fanton's many YouTube Helix videos. As I recollect, Marco uses the DBR10. You can also find his posts on the TGP Helix Thread. Feel free to email him or PM him with questions.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. I put down a deposit on the DXR8. I only play in a small room, about 3.5 by 4.5m. I thought a PA speaker would be just the same as a power amp and speakers. Am I mistaken? In terms of placement, is the DXR8 best used like a wedge or sat on one of those PA Speaker stands? I don't have much space in here.

Depending on how you have your room arranged and configured you may find it easiest to start with the DXR on the floor as a Wedge. If that doesn't suit your needs postionally, or you do not care for how full or bassy it may sound, the next steps would be to stand it on it's base, or slightly elevate it on an amp stand (if you might already have one) or temporarily put on a chair or stool to get an idea of how it will sound elevated slightly off the floor. Heck, you could even use it's shipping carton to get a rough idea. A Tripod legged Pole stand works fine, but their leg spread takes alot of floor space, and in a room your size, it may be overkill. Also elevating the speaker to ear level could cause it to be far too bright or edgy in a room that size.

Speculation-There's probably a reason for that other than the bass response.

The power amps are where the bulk of the cost is in the speakers. If you are not playing medium sized venues and up, then you don't really need the bi-amped 1000W+ versions. 

Sweetwater is also running a special on the JBL Eons. The 10" versions are $349, usually $399. 

• 3 weeks later...

I went with the DXR8 because I listened to one connected to a Helix in the store. In such a small room, i'm not going to output 1000w. I will of course try it as a wedge. I'm not sure it would be safe from damage sitting on my amp stand, not without wrapping some kind of padding around the stand's frame to prevent damaging the DXR's connectors or switches.

• 4 months later...

The main design differences between the DXR and DBR is the DBR has a speaker design that provides a more prominent bass and it also has the capability to mix two input signals.  I use the DXR12 myself.  I really didn't consider the DBR simply because it tends to be marketed more toward front of house applications and particularly toward DJ applications.  I've come across a bunch of DXR/Helix users, but I can't say I've come across any DBR/Helix users.

The reason I went with the DXR12 was due to the fact that I often play a Gretsch hollow body and very often finger pick it in a Chet Atkins or James Taylor style and the 12" speaker configuration gives a little more body to the sound.  It also helps when I'm using the Les Paul in a more overdriven style to make it sound a bit bigger on power chords.

In my case I use it as a floor monitor on stage so I have the switches set to monitor and set the low cut to 125hz which seems to best match the sound I'm getting from the FOH system which is typically a QSC KLA12 line array.  I keep the DXR volume knob set at the 12 o'clock position and typically have my Master Volume on the Helix set to about the 11:30 position.  In that configuration I try to target all of my patches to average about 95 to 98 db which is about right for our band's stage mix which consists of two guitars, a bass, drums, harmonica and typically three part harmony vocals.  On larger stages and venues I have never had to go up more than the 12 o'clock position on the Helix.  There's more than enough headroom on the DXR to handle any stage I've played on at the 12 o"clock position without invoking the limiter on the DXR.  I often play with another band in a venue in which we don't put the instruments through the PA (other than the electronic drum kit).  Because of the acoustics in that room which are very "live", I bring my Helix Master Volume down to around the 10:30 position which is more than enough to fill the room.

But a lot of my configuration is dependent on how your band manages the stage and live mix.  We tend to be pretty disciplined in that regard as we've been together as a band for 9 years or so.

When you are not running the instruments through the PA, are you still using the DXR as you amp/speaker? How do you set up the DXR in that situation?

When you are not running the instruments through the PA, are you still using the DXR as you amp/speaker? How do you set up the DXR in that situation?

Absolutely.  The DXR is the only amp I own at this point. I use the DXR in exactly the same configuration whether I'm going through a PA or not.  I keep it set up as a monitor, but positioned behind me as I would a traditional amplifier.  I find that feels more natural to both me and the rest of the band and makes it easier for all of us to blend together.  The good thing about that configuration is that the DXR projects MUCH better than a traditional amplifier does so it will be more consistent across the entire audience as would any PA speaker.  The only consideration I might have is if I were playing a venue that was too small to have the instruments going through the PA, but the room was much wider than it was deep.  In that case I might mount the DXR on a reguar speaker pole (but still behind me) to take advantage of the fact that the DXR projects wider horizontally than it does vertically, but I haven't run into that situation yet.

Absolutely.  The DXR is the only amp I own at this point. I use the DXR in exactly the same configuration whether I'm going through a PA or not.  I keep it set up as a monitor, but positioned behind me as I would a traditional amplifier.  I find that feels more natural to both me and the rest of the band and makes it easier for all of us to blend together.  The good thing about that configuration is that the DXR projects MUCH better than a traditional amplifier does so it will be more consistent across the entire audience as would any PA speaker.  The only consideration I might have is if I were playing a venue that was too small to have the instruments going through the PA, but the room was much wider than it was deep.  In that case I might mount the DXR on a reguar speaker pole (but still behind me) to take advantage of the fact that the DXR projects wider horizontally than it does vertically, but I haven't run into that situation yet.

Thanks, that sounds like the way I want to go. I already have two DXRs for my PA, so, getting another one for my guitar seems like a no brainer.

Rock on

Thanks, that sounds like the way I want to go. I already have two DXRs for my PA, so, getting another one for my guitar seems like a no brainer.

Rock on

Yeah...I'm turning into a DXR fanatic.  I've had two of them for my Helix (one at home, one at rehearsal and for live performance) and I just replaced our stage entire monitor system with 3 DXR's.  They're GREAT speakers!!!

I took one of my DXR12s, from my PA, and set it up behind me in the regular guitar amp location, on the floor, as a wedge. All I can say is WOW!  Love, love, love it. It sounds better than any of my guitar amps/cabs and fills the room better than any of my guitar amps/cabs. I am thrilled with the Helix and the DXR12s.

Ordered another DXR12 and a Helix backpack today. I'm all in. DSL40 and JVM and cabs are on the block.

Awesome info here guys

I'm picking up a helix soon,and have been doing my fair share of research.

...trying to be patient hoping there is a special when native is released.

Anyway, since my intention is to carry my tone from my home studio to the stage as seamlessly as possible I now realize the 4x12 has to go in favor of an frfr

Looks like one of these yamaha's is in my future as well, thinking dxr12. Thanks for helping me spend my money guys! lol

Awesome info here guys

I'm picking up a helix soon,and have been doing my fair share of research.

...trying to be patient hoping there is a special when native is released.

Anyway, since my intention is to carry my tone from my home studio to the stage as seamlessly as possible I now realize the 4x12 has to go in favor of an frfr

Looks like one of these yamaha's is in my future as well, thinking dxr12. Thanks for helping me spend my money guys! lol

Yamaha has rebates going on until the end of September. That would be $100 rebate on a DXR12.

• 2 years later...

I purchased a Yamaha DBR10, it supposed to have 700w but using it with my HX Stomp, with the master volume at full, I can only set the DBR10 at - 3 or so and the Limit protection starts. 

My HX Stomp out is set to line output and connected jack to input 1 jack in line mode,but the same occurs with the 2nd input. 

I can't have enough power to play with my power trio band. 

10 hours ago, planetasur2 said:

I purchased a Yamaha DBR10, it supposed to have 700w but using it with my HX Stomp, with the master volume at full, I can only set the DBR10 at - 3 or so and the Limit protection starts. 

My HX Stomp out is set to line output and connected jack to input 1 jack in line mode,but the same occurs with the 2nd input. 

I can't have enough power to play with my power trio band. 

Mostly likely you have the volume output on your patches set too high and/.or the volume output on the stomp set too high.  Probably the quickest way to check it would be to simply use an empty preset (no blocks) and play through the DBR and see if the problem goes away.  You should be able to pretty much adjust your Helix volume as well as the gain on the DBR10 without engaging the limit protection and have plenty of headroom and volume.  The generally accepted process for gain staging your presets is to have the same volume level of output whether a block is turned off or turned on.

I just proved all the advices to how connect and configure sensivity, volumen, etc, even I proved using a mixer in between to control the Yamaha DBR10 input, and I can say that these are not 700w nor 350w... the HX Stomp connected to the power amp of my Fender hot rod deluxe sounds way louder than the yamaha dbr10. 

1 hour ago, planetasur2 said:

I just proved all the advices to how connect and configure sensivity, volumen, etc, even I proved using a mixer in between to control the Yamaha DBR10 input, and I can say that these are not 700w nor 350w... the HX Stomp connected to the power amp of my Fender hot rod deluxe sounds way louder than the yamaha dbr10. 

You do realize wattage has very little to do with volume, right?  Volume is measured as SPL in the specifications of each device and is the industry standard for volume output and is the spec you should be comparing.  Wattage is a marketing term and means very little nowadays.  The DBR10 is rated at 129db whereas, by comparison, the DXR10 is rated at 132db.  129db is more than enough to cause permanent ear damage over time, so I still suspect you're somehow kicking in the limiter if it's not hurting your ears at full volume.