Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I need a little help with adding external stompboxes to the Helix, a lot of noise

Valith

HI everyone,

I have been trying to connect an external distortion pedal and Chorus pedal to the effects loop of the Helix. It works, except it seems like the Distortion pedal makes a lot of noise, even when I try using a Noise Gate. Could I be placing the noise gate in the wrong order? The distortion pedal is a Wampler Triple Wreck pedal, chosrus pedal is a Dreamscape from T.C. Electronics. But I believe it has to be the external distortion pedal because if I turn off the external chorus, there is still a lot of noise coming from the Wampler Triple Wreck distortion. I am not sure if I just have the effects out of order or if I am just not placing the noise gate in the proper place in the chain.

Here is how I have it setup:

Volume Pedal->Effects loop (For distortion pedal and Chorus), Noise gate, Delay, Reverb.

I have tried using a noise gate and a hard gate, but I cannot seem to make the Distortion pedal quiet.

Can anyone offer some advice and/or solutions to my issue? I would sincerely appreciate it!

Thank you everyone.

I don't have any answers for you, but I'll be very interested to see what comes up here. I'm just beginning to look at adding pedals via the loops and I've read an awful lot about how noisy they are. Might end up just running the stuff pre-Helix if it's as bad as it's made out to be...

One thing I've recently discovered is that for any pedals in the effects loops that add noise (overdrive, compressor, etc) I have to set the effect loop parameter "Trails" to off.  Otherwise, even if the effect send block is bypassed the mixer still gets the signal from the pedal.   You want the tails for verbs and delays to trail off naturally, but you don't want the nose and hiss from OD.

Trails Off: Any delay repeats or reverb decays are instantly muted when the block is bypassed. Trails On: Any delay repeats or reverb decays continue to decay naturally when the block is bypassed or a different snapshot is selected.

It's been discussed here. Happens the Helix has lower quality sends/returns jacks, and they are a lot noisier. And it is something a firmware updates will not fix.  Fx loops become generally less noisy if inserted after an amp block in fx chain, but well... it varies..

It's been discussed here. Happens the Helix has lower quality sends/returns jacks, and they are a lot noisier. And it is something a firmware updates will not fix.  Fx loops become generally less noisy if inserted after an amp block in fx chain, but well... it varies..

?????

Link to that discussion, please?