Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Heilx For bass.....is worth it?

syndacate2004

Hello Everybody!! This is my first post!! Years ago I had a bass pod xt live....then I sold it and bought a zoom b3 because i did not use any simulation of amps and cabs anymore. Now...I'd like to return to Pod, and here is my question. Shall I buy a POD x3 Live...ora a Helix Xt???? I know that POD x3 is fair better than the POD XT, and that it is used also with bass...! I'd like Helix becuase it's a more recent product and...is very sexy :) but....it seems to me that is more guitar oriented than the X3. 

Can someone give me a good advice? Shall I spend money for an HELIX ora can i go straight to an X3...

Another question.....using this two systems...can i sell my mark bass supersynth? Do the octaver and synths works well? The synths are highly configurable? 

Yhank you for your answers!!

POD X3 has 28 bass amp and 22 bass cabinet models. I believe Helix currently has 12 bass and 8 bass cabinet models. A nice thing about Helix is that new amps/effects are added with each update so expect that number to grow, the dark glass preamp alone is one of my favorite bass additions. Helix is definitely beyond X3 in terms of sound and UI. The octaver works fairly well in Helix, I have seen some users have problems when using it to simulate detuning their instrument, say down a half step, but this problem is only apparent with chords. The synths work pretty well, I haven't experimented with bass and synth effects as much as I have guitar, but I've been able to get a variety of good synthy sounds and I feel it could definitely replace your supersynth. 

The Helix is so good for bass, I am planning on getting one soon.

The Helix is really stellar for bass and I say this as a current Fractal Axe-FXII user.

If you are worried bass cab varieties, there are a bunch of us that provide third party ir's for bass cabs that work well with the Helix or Firehawk.

• Upvote 2

I'm worried about effects....I'd like to know hiw do synths and octaver work with bass. Are they tracking Well? Is possible to obtain some beautiful synthy sounds? It seems not very used by bass players so i can not find sample or reviews....

I have a Helix and I'm using my 5 year old POD HD500 for bass because I like the tones better.
The modeling on Helix is waaaaaay better. I sit, dial tones for my bass and... maybe hours later, maybe next day, I come back to the HD500 and confirm why I prefer it.
I'm sure that I will find my way with Helix, but, so far, I haven't.
Something similar happened when I bought it, I came home and I started to try to replicate the guitar tones I had on the HD500. That didn't work for me, I had to reimagine them, rebuild them, sometimes with the same (evolved) models, sometimes with different ones.
I'll get it, I know it's in there, but for now, I'm sticking with the HD500... for bass.

I used to get very good bass tones with the XT/X3 generation as well.

Whatever you decide to buy, don't go and sell your supersynth just yet. 

I have a Helix and I'm using my 5 year old POD HD500 for bass because I like the tones better.

The modeling on Helix is waaaaaay better. I sit, dial tones for my bass and... maybe hours later, maybe next day, I come back to the HD500 and confirm why I prefer it.

I'm sure that I will find my way with Helix, but, so far, I haven't.

Something similar happened when I bought it, I came home and I started to try to replicate the guitar tones I had on the HD500. That didn't work for me, I had to reimagine them, rebuild them, sometimes with the same (evolved) models, sometimes with different ones.

I'll get it, I know it's in there, but for now, I'm sticking with the HD500... for bass.

I used to get very good bass tones with the XT/X3 generation as well.

Whatever you decide to buy, don't go and sell your supersynth just yet. 

I'm the opposite. I always found the HD a nightmare to get a good bass tone. And when I first got Helix, I still did struggle with Helix and bass a bit, but it was orders of magnitude easier. And now, with the addition of the 3-band compressor and the EQ block taken from the Mesa Mark IV, it is much, much easier to get a good tone. Never really experimented with the synths or pitch blocks and bass, but I imagine that once you have a good framework tone, adding in these effects would work well.