This year, the retail price for the M20d has dropped $500.  For those of us who paid last year's price, its disappointing.  I understand that the price needs to reflect the market.  But dropping the price was not the only option.  The M20d is a powerful platform.  Upgrading the operating system to add more value could create more interest and breathe  new life into the product line. 

What do you guys think?

I think that Yamaha, who purchased Line 6 after the Llive Sound products (StageScape and StageSource) were released, has killed further development of these products in favour of their own competing products, perhaps integrating some Line 6 technology into Yamaha products. But that's just my opinion.

Are you sure this isn't a local price reduction? I am not seeing this in the UK/Europe except for Andertons.

I don't disagree that an update would be very useful (especially one that allow it to be used as a recording interface by switching off mixing functions in return for minimum latency), but I think I recall some comment from Frank Ritchotte where the target market for Yamaha gear would be the sound engineer while Line 6 equipment would be for the self contained band. This left the M20d or a replacement still open for future development.

The product has inherent problems. The forum discusses many of these, and common sense would suggest they don't sell because of reliability issues. I own one, and I love the concept, i just wish i could rely on the product.

Yamaha have put all the "ball park" presets on their TF range which came out a while after they purchased Line 6. I found the move to it real easy, but it does a whole lot more and the build quality seems good.