Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Adjusting Bridge JTV59 - Allen Key size

Hi,
trying to loose the small allen screws of my JTV59 I`m afraid I must have wrecked either the allen screws (the small ones at the back of the bridge)or my allen key. The screws very tight indeed.
Does anybody know the correct size and if it is imperial or metric?
An answer is very much appreciated.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ginster said:

Hi,
trying to loose the small allen screws of my JTV59 I`m afraid I must have wrecked either the allen screws (the small ones at the back of the bridge)or my allen key. The screws very tight indeed.
Does anybody know the correct size and if it is imperial or metric?
An answer is very much appreciated.

It's the imperial size. I had the problem with my fender that i've lost the allen keys, impossible to fix my buzz matters and to find one in a DIY store.....

The ones given with the variax solved this.....

16 hours ago, psarkissian said:

For the brdige post adjust, it's 7/64 hex.

Thanks, but I aim for the little ones at the back of the bridge. Must be something around 1-1.3mm or 0.05 inch
The delivered one must have been wrecked because it won't loosen the screw any more. It is slipping.

4 hours ago, Steveclerget said:

It's the imperial size. I had the problem with my fender that i've lost the allen keys, impossible to fix my buzz matters and to find one in a DIY store.....

The ones given with the variax solved this.....

Thank you, but the one given to me for the tiny screws (back of bridge)seems to be wrecked-it slips and won't loosen the screws any more. So I try to get a new one. Therefore I  have to know the exact size. I estimate something about 1-1.3mm or 0.05 inch.

The tiny set screws can be very tight, especially if you forget to loosen the strings first. If you don't, the hex key can strip the screw head slightly, and a new key won't fix the problem. I know... it happened to me. Now I use a slotted jeweller's screwdriver, small enough to fit diagonally across the hex pattern. It digs into the screw head and works well. But if you go that route, be very careful not to scratch your guitar. It's either that... or replace the screws.

18 hours ago, VAX700 said:

The tiny set screws can be very tight, especially if you forget to loosen the strings first. If you don't, the hex key can strip the screw head slightly, and a new key won't fix the problem. I know... it happened to me. Now I use a slotted jeweller's screwdriver, small enough to fit diagonally across the hex pattern. It digs into the screw head and works well. But if you go that route, be very careful not to scratch your guitar. It's either that... or replace the screws.

Thanks for the constructive answer.
I'm afraid that happened to my JTV, too me forgetting to loosen the strings before. 
Anyway I'll try again and if it fails I will follow your suggestion.

38 minutes ago, ginster said:

Thanks for the constructive answer.
I'm afraid that happened to my JTV, too me forgetting to loosen the strings before. 
Anyway I'll try again and if it fails I will follow your suggestion.

As said above, if you've stripped the head of the screw, a new hex key won't help you, but many times in a pinch, when a hex-head screw got stripped, I've used a star-key instead. Most multi-head screwdriver sets will have a few of these, along with the usual flat head, Phillips, and hex options... you'll just have to see which size fits. Chances are one of them will grab just fine, unless the hex head is so mangled that it's completely rounded out. Should be able to find a set for $10-$15... they're good to have around. No need to spend big $$ for heavy duty stuff... you're not working on a motorcycle, and the screws in question shouldn't be torqued to a million ft-lbs anyway. An inexpensive set will do just fine. 

40 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

As said above, if you've stripped the head of the screw, a new hex key won't help you, but many times in a pinch, when a hex-head screw got stripped, I've used a star-key instead. Most multi-head screwdriver sets will have a few of these, along with the usual flat head, Phillips, and hex options... you'll just have to see which size fits. Chances are one of them will grab just fine, unless the hex head is so mangled that it's completely rounded out. Should be able to find a set for $10-$15... they're good to have around. No need to spend big $$ for heavy duty stuff... you're not working on a motorcycle, and the screws in question shouldn't be torqued to a million ft-lbs anyway. An inexpensive set will do just fine. 

Thank you!
In case the tiny screws are wrecked and I have to get new ones. What are their specs, size or anything else to buy them anywhere. Imperial or metric?
Thanks for your support!

Glad that helped. I'm looking for replacement screws too. The following link seems to indicate 4-40 is the correct size

https://line6.com/support/topic/7446-replacement-adjustment-screws-for-jtv-5989-bridge/

Maybe psarkissian can confirm.

Proceed with patience and caution... and make sure the set screws have a tapered end to fit the v-groove in the bridge posts. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, VAX700 said:

Glad that helped. I'm looking for replacement screws too. The following link seems to indicate 4-40 is the correct size

https://line6.com/support/topic/7446-replacement-adjustment-screws-for-jtv-5989-bridge/

Maybe psarkissian can confirm.

Proceed with patience and caution... and make sure the set screws have a tapered end to fit the v-groove in the bridge posts. 

Thanks a lot!!