Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Noob question- LT with a PC/DAW

patdixon

So I've seen countless vids of guys using various Helix devices with a PC. My LT works just fine at gigs but I need a nice way to practice at home using the HX edt interface and a PC with some speakers, at a lower level. 

I have the LT, I have a PC- obviously I need some quality speakers, what else do I need? None of the vids I've seen show what type of amp goes after the PC/before the speakers (or is the PC just for visual & the sounds 100% come from the Helix output)? Not interested in recording, just simulating the live sound as close as possible at a lower SPL. 

Thanks

All you need is a set of Powered Studio Monitors to run at home. Something akin to the JBL LSR305 would be more than adequate at near field use with your PC running Helix Edit to procide PC control of your Helix LT hardware. The Studio Monitors would be best connected directly to your Helix LT. However, they could alternatively be connected to your PC. 

Should you needs expand and you opt to run a DAW on your PC, your Helix LT would serve as your PC's Audio Interface. You could then opt to try Helix Native which runs as a plugin within the DAW of your choice. Helix Native is available as a 15 Day Trial. Should you wish to get a licensed copy, you would be entitled to the Helix LT owner's reduced price. Bear in mind that when LIne 6 runs a sale on Helix Native, which they have done twice already, it was offered at an additional 30% lower price. Helix Native is not required to accomplish your goal of running your Helix LT at home with your computer under the control of Helix Edit. 

• Upvote 1

I believe i practice the same as you want to...

You only want to connect your PC to tweak the helix's parameters with HX Edit

So don't go to monitoring speakers.

The only question i have is : what are your devices at gigs/rehearsal ? Do you use an amp or go FOH ?

I go directly FOH, the idea is to have exactly the same rig.

If you do so (FOH) just buy the same active speaker (Helix direct into it) and connect your computer to do your adjustments.

I use an audio interface (Scarlett 6i6). I have the Helix going to the line in of the interface, which is connected to my PC via USB, and the interface also connects to 2 powered speakers. In theory you can use the Helix as an interface itself, but then you have to do more unplugging when you take it out for a show, not to mention if you wanted to use your speakers with your computer when the Helix isn't around.

4 hours ago, SteveFrance said:

The only question i have is : what are your devices at gigs/rehearsal ? Do you use an amp or go FOH ?

I use a combo (Blackstar HT 40) amp with 4cm, then hang a '57 that goes to FOH. I can still do that at home (minus the 57) and run the Helix outs through xlr to the speakers.

Thanks everyone, these are all good answers.

38 minutes ago, patdixon said:

I use a combo (Blackstar HT 40) amp with 4cm, then hang a '57 that goes to FOH. I can still do that at home (minus the 57) and run the Helix outs through xlr to the speakers.

Thanks everyone, these are all good answers.

If you're used to monitoring through the Blackstar, coming straight out of Helix's XLR outs to a pair of powered studio monitors will require (probably major) reworking of your patches. The frequency responses are worlds apart, and everything will sound very different than what you're used to. 

Good point. To be fair, all of the vids I've seen are using amp/cab mods in the Helix running straight into a DAW. I don't use amp mods live because I like the sound of the Blackstar, so in my case the best thing is probably just to use the same setup at home. The Fletcher-Munson curve always bites me in the butt (I can't turn it up at home) but I've learned to live with that.

I'll probably go ahead and buy a set of nice speakers just to do HX edit adjustments (mostly time-based, etc.), although as you say the sound will be quite different.

53 minutes ago, patdixon said:

Good point. To be fair, all of the vids I've seen are using amp/cab mods in the Helix running straight into a DAW. I don't use amp mods live because I like the sound of the Blackstar, so in my case the best thing is probably just to use the same setup at home. The Fletcher-Munson curve always bites me in the butt (I can't turn it up at home) but I've learned to live with that.

I'll probably go ahead and buy a set of nice speakers just to do HX edit adjustments (mostly time-based, etc.), although as you say the sound will be quite different.

You could still run the 4cm at home and get your basic tone from the amp, but at a minimum you'll have to add a cab block before the monitors, otherwise it's gonna sound absolutely wretched.

Many of us end up with different sets of patches for use with various monitoring methods. I've got 3 set lists... all basically the same tones...one tweaked for headphones, another for studio monitors, and then the ones I use live. It's more grunt work initially, but in the long run it saves you from being in a constant state of editing.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I am Musician for 30 years, but newbie  buying a Helix LT or Floor in the next week or so, just wondering if I can conect to my PC with USB cable only?

Can I practice with Planning Center or other music app with headphones and edit patches, etc?

Can I connect to my Iphone via Lighting cable to practice with Headphones?

While searching on this forum for best headphones, it appears I will go with "Beyerdynamic D770 Pro 80 Ohm, would this work on both PC and Iphone without a pre-amp?

Thanks in Advance

2 hours ago, jefflancaster1 said:

I am Musician for 30 years, but newbie  buying a Helix LT or Floor in the next week or so, just wondering if I can conect to my PC with USB cable only?

Can I practice with Planning Center or other music app with headphones and edit patches, etc?

While searching on this forum for best headphones, it appears I will go with "Beyerdynamic D770 Pro 80 Ohm, would this work on both PC and Iphone without a pre-amp?

Thanks in Advance

Ideally, your Helix becomes your audio device for your computer once it's connected to the PC via a USB cable assuming of course that you have the Helix audio device driver loaded.  With the Helix selected as the audio device from your PC and your headphones (or studio monitors) connected to your Helix, any music source your play on your PC will automatically play through the Helix audio output along with your live guitar input into the Helix.  When it comes to the iPhone I haven't got a clue if it will be able to recognize the Helix as an audio device via USB but maybe someone else can fill in the blank there.  My gut reaction is that it wouldn't be able to directly recognize the Helix as an audio device because it wouldn't have the appropriate audio device driver available.  There are other possible ways to connect an audio output into the Helix using the audio inputs, but you would have to allocate a separate signal chain on the Helix for it.

Yes. 

I'm not familiar with Planning Center. A quick Google search looks like it's a mobile device app. In that case, then yes, you can connect mobile devices (as long as they have a headphone jack or some sort of dongle substitute) to the Helix. 

It looks like you're using iPhone, so USB options do exist. See below. 

You have two possible options.  One is to use a headphone jack dongle and plug a TRS to TS Y cable into the FX returns on the Helix. 

Another option is to purchase the iPhone/Pad camera connection kit ($30 - $50). This will allow you to stream audio via USB 1/2 channels. 

Thanks in Advance

Those should work fine.

Keep in mind the Helix Floor has the advantage of more inputs and outputs. So, for example, if you get an LT you can plug your mobile device in to the FX returns but if I remember right with the LT each one is a TS signal so you have to buy a cable TRS to TS Y cable to preserve the stereo sound (this is what I had to do with the smaller HX Stomp). With the Helix Floor, though it's more expensive,  if you do use two of the FX returns you still have two more sets. The full floor also has a digital in jack. 

Both systems will work fine with iPhones as long as you have the camera connection kit.