Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Where is the Workbench software download?

I can see it in the Downloads section of this website. There are two Workbench software products that you can select in the All Software (middle) field of the selection area. The original Workbench product is called Variax Workbench. The more recent product is called Workbench HD.

• 6 months later...

However, for people with a classic Variax model (earlier), they had various tool like Line6 Monkey which try to download content which they have now hidden.

What's odd is that for Mac OS X  you can still download the old NON HD workbench.  For Windows, there are no variax downloads anymore.

Thanks the the vicissitudes of time, getting the non HD workbench running on any Mac OS X version is very very difficult.  First there's the version checker in their installer that tells you you need 10.5 or higher, even if you are on a verosion higher than 10.5.  Even a version that says in the download notes that it works with High Sierra, actually doesn't.  You can get around the install roadblock using a Mac OS app called Pacifist which will basically bypass these errors and let you install these versions. But they won't run after you install them because they depend on a very old Java version (1.4) and don't work on newer java jvms.  Even if they did, Mac OS is a land that time forgot with java desktop apps. Hours of messing around and I gave up.

Back to Windows 7 where the PODXt live app (gearbox) works fine, but the Variax Workbench shows up in the Line6 monkey app but won't download.

Nice job Line6.

WPostma

• Like 2

If you search through the Workbench forum (non-HD), you'll find many tales of woe and misery about ravaged musicians trying to use legacy Workbench on their Mac or Windows computer. It seems we are all left to try to keep it working, with little to no support from Line 6. You thought your old Variax guitar was a guitar, but it's really an outdated, unsupported computer.

Come back in ten years and you could very well be hearing the same sad tales about James Tyler and Standard Variax owners.

Line 6 supports it, you can still get it, it's the OS of the computer companies (Mac and Windows) that left it behind.

We still have it, the computer companies just don't want to deal with it. My personal audio apps are great (DAW's and

soft synths), it's the hardware and OS I have troubles with.

2 hours ago, psarkissian said:

Line 6 supports it, you can still get it, it's the OS of the computer companies (Mac and Windows) that left it behind.

We still have it, the computer companies just don't want to deal with it. 

"The computer companies just don't want to deal with it"?

It is Line 6's choice to abandon the original Variax, not Windows and MAC. 

MAC and Windows do not write the software for line 6 products.... Line 6 does. If Line 6 wanted Workbench (pre HD) to work with the latest versions of the OS, they would update it. Line 6 chooses not to!

2 hours ago, psarkissian said:

Line 6 supports it, you can still get it,.....

How can you say Line 6 Supports it? If you contact line 6 about installing it on Windows 10 they tell you it is only supported up to Windows 8.1. If you try and install it on Windows 8.1 (or even Windows 7) you get a Java error... and it won't work at all unless you have Java installed on your system already. There is no additional support from Line 6 about getting it installed and working, even on a supported OS... users are on their own! 

The real kicker. Variax Workbench works on Windows 10.... I just used it again this week. Sadly, Line 6 won't even list it as supported by Windows 10 on their site, and Line 6 won't update the Java pointer in the installer so that forces people to install their own version of Java and ignore/bypass all the warnings. For most people this is just too much.... for me, it's just a pain in the butt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 5 months later...

Fruit22Banana

On 1/27/2020 at 12:53 PM, psarkissian said:

It's still there on the Line 6 Downloads page under Variax Workbench.

It comes up for Windows 7 and Mac OS 10, but it apparently doesn't come up for Windows 10.

I don't know if or when that will be updated.

So could it be updated or are we just kinda in the box to figure a way to run it from an older computer?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
14 hours ago, depperson said:

Was there a certain Java version you should install for it to work. I'm having the same issue. Thanks

The latest version of 32 bit JAVA should be fine.... 

If you try the auto installer it will try to install the 64 bit version, you need the 32 bit version. 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Shame to hear all this. I've been trying this week to dust off my old Variax 600 and even bought a cheap pc thinking that it was the fault of Mac OS. Wish I'd seen this thread earlier. 

I had even toyed with the idea of buying a new Variax, but like someone has already said in this thread. Line6 will probably not support the existing ones ten years from now. 

Shame, why can they just hire a programmer to update all the legacy software. A Java programmer in Fiverr could probably do it in days.

To answer my own question - its probably so people have to keep buying their products ever 5 - 7 years to keep the money coming in. 

Bad business practice to not support your users Line 6!!!
(and to ignore this thread, as well...)