havkayak Posted December 27, 2019 Share Posted December 27, 2019 [Update: It lookes like this bug can be isolated to the Cali Texas Ch 2 amp. It's said that they (Cali Texas Ch 1 and Ch 2) suffer the volume loss when the bass eq on the amp is set to 0.0. In my case the volume problem went away at bass = 0.1. It is said that this was confirmed by Line 6 as a bug at a much earlier stage. So then I question Line 6' management of their own bug-information. Could it be better? Or do they simply keep quiet about known bugs? For the implications, look below. What about having a "sticky" post saying: "Before we are able to fix this or that, be aware of this or that."? It would for sure be a time saver both for the ones having trouble, and for the ones involving themselves. By the way, thanks for the positive responses!] Hi everybody, and Mary Christmas! I've found a serious bug in Helix 2.82 (Helix Floor AND Helix Native). It's a "sneaky" form of volume loss, that gradually silence the patch to zero output. (It happened when updating to version 2.80, but was not corrected in version 2.82.). It happens when a certain patch is tweaked in the "right way". A bug of great concern, I would say. I share the instructions on how to set up the patch with the jpg-files below, so you can experience the bug yourself and be warned. [On request I also added the actual patch-file. Then you can choose how to test it. At first I left it out to dismiss thoughts about a corrupted patch-file. But you still have the jpg-files to build it from scratch if you want to, so it's fine. You have to be logged on to this forum to download the file.] Today I built the patch in Helix Native from the bottom up (I use it within Windows 10 and Cubase 9.5). And what do you think happened? The bug is showing up there as well. Within three hours (it varies) the sound is gone. The earliest onset I've noticed so far is 30 minutes, so I believe it can happen anytime. When it starts, it fades out slowly, so you won't notice it before the sound gets bad. It sounds like turning down the volume on your guitar. Then you have to change the patch and go back again to have the sound back. (In Helix Native I still see the input db-signal, but the output is silent. Go out of the patch and into it again, and the sound/output is back.) More details later in the text. First a few words on the "service" I've got from Line 6 technical support. I've been talking to the Line 6 technical support since early September this year (with one or several anonymous persons). In many of their replies it seems that they don't even read my messages. At a point in time I actually thought I was talking to a computer, because their replies were so strange. But at least they assured me that they were looking into the problem, and they confirmed the loss of volume when using the patch I sent to them. They re-built the patch and reported that the problem was solved. I got the patch that Line 6 technical support had rebuilt, tweaked it to my liking, and the problem was still there (loss of volume and then total silence - within 30 minutes to three hours). I reported this back to Line 6 technical support, and asked them if they would like the jpg-files I share with you now (to set the patch up like I do). They did not want it, and told me that my unit needed to be sent for repair. IT TOOK THEM THREE MONTHS (and lots of e-mails), AND THE CONCLUSION IS BOTH STRANGE AND WRONG! Why did it take them so long? I just ask ;-) What's with the Line 6 technical support? Why would they tell me to service my Helix Floor unit (for probably a few weeks)? I just ask again ;-) So much for the trust I had in this company in the first place. I will stick to my old amp until I see a serious update (with some serious and trustworthy information), and probably testing it on rehearsals for a few weeks after that, and then never update the unit ever again... Or just throw it away if nothing happens. When it happens in this patch, in my understanding, it might happen in any patch (when tweaked the "right" way). Obviously it's not a problem that shows up often, but if or when it does, it's really a bad thing. I wouldn't take the risk. Please set up the patch exactly as on my added jpg-files [if you build it from scratch]. Usually I play with it with Deranged Master engaged, but I do believe the bug shows up non the less. But to be sure, keep the Deranged Master on. (The first eq is used in combination with the Deez One Vintage to shape the tone.) You don't have to play for three hours. Just keep the unit on (with deranged master, amp, cab, second eq, reverb and volume control at 100 % engaged, and place it in Snapshot 2 to be aaaaabsolutely sure :-), and check it once in a while. Then you don't have to think that this is a Christmas joke. Even though I wish you AT LEAST THREE hours of guitar-time during your Christmas holiday!!! :-) If you for some reason don't experience the bug, then hopefully you have a nice patch to use with a Stratocaster-type guitar - especially nice on the neck pickup. But be warned! For me it never goes beyond three hours before the volume loss happens, but who knows. I have the problem BOTH on Helix Floor and Helix Native. Please report back to Line 6 Technical support if you experience the volume loss. If somebody tweaks the patch to investigate if volume loss happens at different settings, it would be interesting to read about it. I did one thing, and that was to change the amp. Then the problem went away. (But probably the bug is due to a combination of things. Maybe an unstable core... Mamma mia! :-) Thank you very much! Texas Nachos.hlx Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.