Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Headphone Output Pan/Volume Issue

ecmares

Hello. I was wondering if I could get some help with my situation. When I listen through the headphone output of my Helix Floor, the panning/volume is all wonky. With the phones knob all way down, I am still getting sound out of my right speaker (sound of whatever patch I use. The issue is across all my patches). As I turn the volume up, the left speaker comes in until the sound is panned center, as it should be, at halfway (volume knob turned up halfway). I've tried different 1/4 inch adapters and the issue persists. Also, this seemingly started happening out of nowhere. I do not recall making any changes to global settings, but perhaps that is where the problem is. I am updated to firmware version 2.92 and have been since it was released. Everything has been working fine until now. If anybody could help me figure this out, I would really appreciate it! Thank you.

If you haven't figured this out yet, do a factory reset (don't forget to back up first!). If that doesn't fix it open a support ticket. It's a very unusual problem, as the lack of responses indicates.

There have been a few reports of similar issues on this forum. In some cases it appeared to be fixed by a factory reset; in others it was a hardware problem. Before you give up, do what rd2rk said, and also try a different pair of headphones or speakers to make sure it's not your 'phones.

Thank you for your suggestions, you guys. I tried a factory reset; no dice. On a whim, I decided to clean the pot with a cloth and it helped immensely! Very strange, since there was no crackling to indicate it was dirty but hey, it helped! Just a note, there is still just the tiniest bit of sound in the right speaker of any headphones I try when the volume is turned down, but the panning issue is gone. I will probably try some contact cleaner when I can get my hands on some.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ecmares said:

Thank you for your suggestions, you guys. I tried a factory reset; no dice. On a whim, I decided to clean the pot with a cloth and it helped immensely! Very strange, since there was no crackling to indicate it was dirty but hey, it helped! Just a note, there is still just the tiniest bit of sound in the right speaker of any headphones I try when the volume is turned down, but the panning issue is gone. I will probably try some contact cleaner when I can get my hands on some.

That is very odd indeed... how did you clean it? Just wondering if whatever you did changed something else incidentally (e.g., maybe a cracked solder joint that got bumped back into good contact again).

Also FWIW, my Helix is only a year old and it has a very faint sound in the right channel with the Phones knob all the way down too. I'm pretty sure it's always been this way. It's barely perceptible but it's there, and you have to turn the volume up just a smidge beyond minimum before the left channel comes in and then they balance out. Patches that have higher output levels are easier to hear this with, while it can't really be heard at all with low output level patches.

20 hours ago, qwerty42 said:

That is very odd indeed... how did you clean it? Just wondering if whatever you did changed something else incidentally (e.g., maybe a cracked solder joint that got bumped back into good contact again).

I popped the knob off the pot and saw dust and dirt around the base of the shaft. So, I just used a cloth to clean it up. Perhaps you're right; as I was cleaning, maybe it got turned in such a way where good contact was made. In any case, hopefully this can help somebody else. Not that I encourage anybody to void their warranty, but this issue could be as simple as a soldering touch up/pot replacement. I bought my Helix used, so I'm kind of on my own :/

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Not quite. I'm fairly certain it is electrical/mechanical, and have singled out the expression pedal as the possible culprit. I've noticed that by messing with it (i.e. gently stomping on it against my carpet floor) it caused some loud popping and eventually was fixed. I'm guessing maybe there is some wire or something loose? In any case, every so often it'll happen again and I just do the same thing. Maybe someday I'll take it in somewhere...

I'm having the identical symptoms. Faint sound in right speaker when turned all the way down. Most of the output going to left speaker as you turn up the volume on headphones. Appreciate any other tips or suggestions. I tried the 5+6 global reset, but no change in symptoms. Any other resets suggested?

On 11/20/2021 at 6:36 PM, gwelbor said:

Any other resets suggested?

As you have already tried FS 5&6 Global Reset, there aren’t really anymore that may clear a possible glitch.

For your reference, here is a full list of reset options:

https://helixhelp.com/tips-and-guides/universal/reset-options

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• 5 months later...
On 7/6/2020 at 9:52 PM, ecmares said:

Hello. I was wondering if I could get some help with my situation. When I listen through the headphone output of my Helix Floor, the panning/volume is all wonky. With the phones knob all way down, I am still getting sound out of my right speaker (sound of whatever patch I use. The issue is across all my patches). As I turn the volume up, the left speaker comes in until the sound is panned center, as it should be, at halfway (volume knob turned up halfway). I've tried different 1/4 inch adapters and the issue persists. Also, this seemingly started happening out of nowhere. I do not recall making any changes to global settings, but perhaps that is where the problem is. I am updated to firmware version 2.92 and have been since it was released. Everything has been working fine until now. If anybody could help me figure this out, I would really appreciate it! Thank you.

Exacly the same experience with Bose headphones. Turned low the right one is active, turning up only right. I had this issue ca. 1.5 years ago. Then it changed to goog, by exchanging all the cables over the weeks, turning them left to right and the other way around. Suddenly it was  OK, but i did not realize, what action was  the  solving of the REALLY NERVING  Problem. And now: It is back again!!!! Nerving! I did not any changes. Just turned it on and it was there. Ordered new Cables... nothing changes. THIS MUST BE A CONSTANT BUG! Any help?

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

IDK about those who are reporting sound on one side when hard panned the other way or volume all the way down, I've never had the problem.

For those who report unbalanced R/L levels, check anything in the signal chain that's stereo.

Not just panning, but Stereo cabs/IRs. Different speakers/IRs and or mics used in the Helix Dual Cab/IR Blocks will output different levels.

Likewise, fx in split paths can have different apparent levels, even if the actual levels are equal.

Just some thoughts. Since I've never had the problem, I can't suggest an absolute solution.

One thing though. If you open a support ticket and get a solution, PLEASE come back here and tell the rest of the community!

• Upvote 2

From my experiences in handling Hard- and Software and even developing and selling my own Antiperspirant-line I found out that of 100 People having a problem 

• Just 80 recognize that there is a problem which should be taken a closer look at. The other 20 don't even care. 
  • 20 out of 80 will search for help in the WWW.
  • 10 will contact the seller or manufacturer for help, after searching the web.
  • 1 of those will come back to a forum or group to help others with the solution.
  • 90 % will rant about the problem, seller, manufacturer and all the big efforts they have made. But nothing helped :/
  • Haha 1

On 8/19/2023 at 2:21 PM, Smashcraaft said:

1 of those will come back to a forum or group to help others with the solution.

I think you would be very lucky to find that single one in this forum.

Only very occasionally does anyone bother to update a thread, where they may have been desperate to find a solution. If they contacted Customer Support, and solved the problem, it would be nice to know how, just for all the other "Me too" posters.

I think that a lot of the time it might be due to sheer embarrassment, after having kicked up a fuss about something that then, ultimately, could turn out to be user error.

Having said that, there are always going to be lots of "update bricked my Helix" posts, of which, many really are self inflicted, but it's very nice when some one actually takes time to post a "thank you". I always give those folks an upvote. Otherwise it can feel as if you are banging your head against a brick wall.

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, I don’t usually comment on forums, but I spent many hours finding a solution, here it is. The issue is with the Phones Pot, you only have to clean it with some electronic cleaner and that’s it. I leave here the solution after hours of dealing with this.

Pretty sure this will fix it, please make sure the electronic cleaner goes inside the pot and move it all way down and up a few times. 
seems dust get stuck inside the pot and this does not make work as usual.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Compressed air worked for me. I was skeptical. It's been a few days and it's still ok.

Simply pulled the headphone volume knob up and off the pot. There's a small hole to the left of the pot shaft where it emerges from the panel. Shot the compressed air in there and bingo!

Have to think that the hole could be the source of the trouble. Should I put some tape over it to prevent debris passing through? Can't think of a downside?

I vacuum my Helix periodically.

Like one time I played a gig and the stage was not just dusty, it had like pieces of threads and foam. This stuff is definitely no good inside the electronics. I dusted off my Helix after the show and vacuumed it first thing when I got home. I put a hose to every button and jack. 

Also it’s a good idea to cover the Helix when not in use. I put a microfiber cloth on it and cover it with the plastic it came with. The microfiber absorbs all the dust particles pretty well.