Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Looking for a controller for HX Stomp!

JamesBooksGG

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, MasaoTanaka said:

Does it work for all three modes of the HX STOMP? Preset, stomp and snapshot mode?

The MODE has nothing to do with it. If a device sends PC, CC and Toggling CC then it will control the Stomp, including changing the MODE.

The Blackstar site seems to be down, so I can't look at the manual, but I'd be very surprised if it didn't do all of the above.

To see what CAN be controlled by MIDI on the Stomp, refer to the MIDI section of the Stomp manual.

• 5 months later...

So in y’all’s opinion which one better blackstar live logic or Morningstar mc6? And why? I’m trying to connect hx stomp, big sky, and tempus via midi in which 2 switches can bank  up and down on stomp and big sky and 2 switches for A AND B patches on big sky?

On 9/9/2020 at 2:22 AM, JamesBooksGG said:

I really like my HX STOMP and I need a pedal to control it. 

I saw the Xsonic releases a new controller AIRSTEP, It's looking good! Looks like it can control a lot of things.

https://xsonicaudio.com/pages/airstep

Any idea for me? what about this pedal for my HX STOMP.

The Airstep looks like a nice MIDI controller with a lot of capability.

Another option at about the same price point.  The switches look kind of close together and there is one less of them .  Does not have Bluetooth and perhaps some other features the Airstep has either.  It does have a feature I prefer like a screen(which it has) or better yet, scribble strips(which it doesn't) where you can use custom names(at least according to the Sweetwater video). 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Soleman--source-audio-soleman-midi-controller-pedal

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Blackstar logic midi and HX stomp users.
 I have a problem with the "custom" mode.
  I follow the Steve Starcci video,

https://youtu.be/omkVpUS-UVA

All OK, but...

I press "send values", to save , and I disconnect everything, and it turns out that it has not saved anything.
  my head is smoking ... I would appreciate help.
 Thank you

21 hours ago, quicomedrano said:

I press "send values", to save , and I disconnect everything, and it turns out that it has not saved anything.
  my head is smoking ... I would appreciate help.

I can't say anything about that particular controller, but I can give you two tips for using any programmable controller to keep your head from exploding.

1) if the SW allows it (and I wouldn't buy a controller that didn't), save your configuration to a file.

2) Install a MIDI Monitor on your computer so you can test the configuration after sending it to the controller.

• Upvote 1

Just thought I would mention that I have seen several topics regarding which MIDI pedal to get with the HX Stomp. Many here are trying to leverage functionality on an HX Stomp that they already own and I would probably be doing the same. I think it makes even more sense if you are controlling multiple devices(e.g. other effects, DAW, etc.) via MIDI. If you are adding a MIDI controller only for using with the HX Stomp I would probably opt for a small inexpensive MIDI controller that would not eat up too much pedalboard real estate or run up my overall expenditure on the HX Stomp. Feel like I am stating the obvious but if you have not purchased the HX Stomp yet though, and you think you will be wanting to add additional MIDI control to it, you should take a hard look instead at purchasing the HX Stomp XL or the Helix/LT.

The additional pedalboard space required, expense, and programming hassle involved in adding an external MIDI pedal might not be your best option when you could just be using a single HX device with more available switches as your MIDI control center. Might cost a little more initially but be worth it to you in the long run and in particular the step up to the Helix or LT brings many other features and benefits(dual processors, more I/O, etc.).  I'm sure all this has occurred to may other users here as well.

27 minutes ago, HonestOpinion said:

If you are adding a MIDI controller only for using with the HX Stomp I would probably opt for a small inexpensive MIDI controller that would not eat up too much pedalboard real estate or run up my overall expenditure on the HX Stomp. Feel like I am stating the obvious but if you have not purchased the HX Stomp yet though, and you think you will be wanting to add additional MIDI control to it, you should take a hard look instead at purchasing the HX Stomp XL or the Helix/LT.

The additional pedalboard space required, expense, and programming hassle involved in adding an external MIDI pedal might not be your best option when you could just be using a single HX device with more available switches as your MIDI control center.

Overall size, weight and particularly modularity matter as well:

• For bands where I play bass guitar, usually I'm alright with just the Stomp alone. No need for a pedalboard at all. Just the Stomp, the power unit and two cables. Everything's transportable in my gig bag.
  • For bands where I play guitar, I need an expression pedal plus additional footswitches to change snapshots and Exp1/2 – the latter not directly avaliable on my old Roland expression pedal. But my "pedalboard" – a modified metal plate 26 × 32 cm that's originally been part of an office computer shelf – must accomodate all of it, and everything must remain loose so that I can always remove the Stomp when going to play bass. Hence I opted for Disaster Area DMC.micro which is "minimalistic" but flexible enough to do what I need plus having an extra footswitch input that I use for tap tempo. Those additional analog footswitches also come from my decades old "gear archives", i.e. apart from the Stomp and the DMC.micro I'm "recycling" material that I already had since decades.
    As for DMC.micro vs MIDI Baby 3: DMC.micro can be programmed offline directly on the device, whereas for MIDI Baby you need an internet connection to change the settings. I definitely wanted the former.

In other words, even if the Stomp XL would have been already available last year, I still would have opted for the small Stomp because of modularity.

In other other words, there is no definite solution. Your mileage will vary.

3 hours ago, lou-kash said:

Overall size, weight and particularly modularity matter as well:

• For bands where I play bass guitar, usually I'm alright with just the Stomp alone. No need for a pedalboard at all. Just the Stomp, the power unit and two cables. Everything's transportable in my gig bag.
  • For bands where I play guitar, I need an expression pedal plus additional footswitches to change snapshots and Exp1/2 – the latter not directly avaliable on my old Roland expression pedal. But my "pedalboard" – a modified metal plate 26 × 32 cm that's originally been part of an office computer shelf – must accomodate all of it, and everything must remain loose so that I can always remove the Stomp when going to play bass. Hence I opted for Disaster Area DMC.micro which is "minimalistic" but flexible enough to do what I need plus having an extra footswitch input that I use for tap tempo. Those additional analog footswitches also come from my decades old "gear archives", i.e. apart from the Stomp and the DMC.micro I'm "recycling" material that I already had since decades.
    As for DMC.micro vs MIDI Baby 3: DMC.micro can be programmed offline directly on the device, whereas for MIDI Baby you need an internet connection to change the settings. I definitely wanted the former.

In other words, even if the Stomp XL would have been already available last year, I still would have opted for the small Stomp because of modularity.

In other other words, there is no definite solution. Your mileage will vary.

All good points and for the scenario you lay out makes perfect sense.