Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Just Bought a JTV-69 With No Cables

I need a permanent power supply. And I need to connect with Workbench on my PC. After hours of searching, I can't seem to confirm these questions:

1.Should I buy the USB adapter and the Cable Power kit?

2. Or can I just get a Pod HD500 (or HD500x).

Obviously, I would rather have the HD500. I've owned several Pods over the years and quite like them.

I just can't seem to find a clear, authorized statement on whether it will work.

And I'm extremely confused on how an HD500 will allow me to interface with Workbench on my PC.

The HD500 or 500X will power the JTV and will let you connect to Workbench. Just an FYI, the  500 will work with Workbench or Workbench HD. The 500X will only work with Workbench HD. As long as you have a 2.0 or later firmware on the JTV (which you probably do), you can only use Workbench HD.

Be careful. I could be wrong but I thought that if you wanted to hook up your JTV Variax with the 1/4" that you did not want to power the JTV with the VDI. That you cannot have both the VDI providing power and the 1/4" plugged in at the same time since it could lead to possible damage of some kind. I thought you were supposed to only use the battery if you're also plugging into the 1/4" jack.

33 minutes ago, brue58ski said:

Be careful. I could be wrong but I thought that if you wanted to hook up your JTV Variax with the 1/4" that you did not want to power the JTV with the VDI. That you cannot have both the VDI providing power and the 1/4" plugged in at the same time since it could lead to possible damage of some kind. I thought you were supposed to only use the battery if you're also plugging into the 1/4" jack.

That’s correct. Line 6 advises against using both the battery and the VDI-supplied power at the same time.

On 2/11/2021 at 8:21 AM, silverhead said:

That’s correct. Line 6 advises against using both the battery and the VDI-supplied power at the same time.

Thanks for the reply. So I would just remove the battery to use the VDI and the 1/4 connection simultaneously? Or is ther more to it?

On 2/10/2021 at 9:07 PM, phil_m said:

The HD500 or 500X will power the JTV and will let you connect to Workbench. Just an FYI, the  500 will work with Workbench or Workbench HD. The 500X will only work with Workbench HD. As long as you have a 2.0 or later firmware on the JTV (which you probably do), you can only use Workbench HD.

Thanks a bunch for the quick reply.

One more question, using the VDI cable, can you use the 500x without the amp or cab or any other FX. I will be using the built in FX, but I also want to be able to use my VST amp sims on occasion. I read the manual but it wasn't quite as explicit as my slow brain requires.