Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Big Sur 11.4 Update bad for Helix Native

FacemanJoe

Hello. 

I had Helix Native working nicely on my new Mini Mac when it was running Big Sur 11.3.  Today my computer updated to 11.4 on its own and Logic Pro will not authorize Helix Native. 

Just an FYI to anyone considering an update to 11.4 

Don't do it. 

Joe

Screen Shot 2021-06-14 at 6.07.37 PM.png

Thanks for the tip but I've uninstalled and reinstalled several times with no luck. I've deleted every instance of Helix Native that I can find in the plug in section as well as the cache. Just can't get it working again. 

Joe

1 hour ago, FacemanJoe said:

Just can't get it working again. 

Hi,

I found this on a website giving 4 reasons NOT to install the update to 11.4, plus 11 reasons you should.

Anyhow, the good news is - quote:

If you install macOS Big Sur 11.4 on your Mac, and you run into issues, you can downgrade your computer’s software in an attempt to improve its performance. Unlike iOS and iPadOS, the macOS downgrade is always open.

If you’re running macOS Big Sur 11.3.1, macOS Big Sur 11.3, or an older version of macOS, and you’re feeling leery about these issues, you might want to wait for more feedback about macOS Big Sur 11.4’s performance or Apple’s next batch of bug fixes for macOS Big Sur-related issues

Then there was also this:

https://www.gottabemobile.com/macos-big-sur-problems-5-things-to-know/

Hope this helps/makes sense.

23 hours ago, FacemanJoe said:

Hello. 

I had Helix Native working nicely on my new Mini Mac when it was running Big Sur 11.3.  Today my computer updated to 11.4 on its own and Logic Pro will not authorize Helix Native. 

Just an FYI to anyone considering an update to 11.4 

Don't do it. 

Joe

Screen Shot 2021-06-14 at 6.07.37 PM.png

Assuming that you are using Native 3.11 it is weird that Native shows up as "3.1.1" in the Plug-In Manager. I am on Windows and don't use Logic Pro as my DAW but where Native shows up in my DAW, it shows up as 3.11, not 3.1.1.  Probably means nothing and another Logic Pro user on Mac might be able to confirm this as being what they display for a Native install in this environment. Just find it a little bewildering and inconsistent with the Line6 versioning.

• Upvote 1

I can confirm that Helix Native 3.11 works fine for me on macOS 11.4. Logic's plugin manager shows it as validated and does list the version as 3.1.1, but I've seen that representation in other places too. It's likely just a display convention and they're the same thing.

I'm guessing that you might need to check your Line6 login in Helix Native. 

• Upvote 2

Auto updates are a guaranteed $hit-show... turn them off. Otherwise you can look forward to a lifetime of irritation, and up-ending your work flow whenever Apple decides it's time to render all 3rd party software (and any associated hardware) useless. I don't even know what OS I'm on anymore, but it ain't Big Sur... and I've been blissfully free of compatibility issues for years.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

Probably means nothing and another Logic Pro user on Mac might be able to confirm this as being what they display for a Native install in this environment. Just find it a little bewildering and inconsistent with the Line6 versioning.

You and me too, but yes I can confirm that when Helix Native version 3.11 is installed in Logic Pro X, the Plugin Manager does indeed display the version number as 3.1.1 - most odd. It also shows that Native is "successfully validated". I have seen some mention where Native has failed to load because it failed validation, but the option to to click the "Use" tick box was available and this got Native to load as normal. The screen grab above doesn't appear to have that option as it shows "Use' and is not opening. 

Oh yeah - I'm with "cruision2" on this one - still running High Sierra.

In a situation such as this I would be tempted to do a re-install of the plug-in and try this which was recommended by Customer Support for a user over on the HX Native forum re the Code -8201 error.

1. Disable WiFi(even with a wired connection present)
2. Launch your DAW (blank session)
3. Insert Helix Native on a track. The login page should pop up (if it doesn't, check in the lower left hand corner of the plugin).
4. Turn on WiFi.
5. When you sign in, Native gets reauthorized

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the feedback. I followed datacommando's steps and was able to get Helix to load and work properly. It is showing as "Incompatible" but I'm guessing that will remedy itself in the future with the next update. 

Thanks again all. Much appreciated. 

Joe

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, FacemanJoe said:

Not sure if this points to the issue, but checking the Library/Audio folder shows that there is no plug in for Helix there. I did a search but can't find it. Where can it be? 

Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 8.53.45 PM.png

As you are using Logic Pro X, the Helix Native plug-in should be inside the folder /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/Helix Native.component. That is the Library folder at the root level. Not the one in the System folder or the Users folder.

Also, if you have managed to get Native to show in the Plug-in Manager as “Incompatible”, then you should have the option to tick “Use”, which should over ride the Manger and allow it to work.

Edited by datacommando
Edit to info

Thanks DC. 

I found the plug ins using your path above. Everything is there and I am able to get Native working nicely even though it is still considered incompatible. 

Now that I know where to find the files, I will probably try to do a delete/reinstall and if that doesn't get me "compatible" then I'll just use it however I can get it for now.

Also, I'm curious to know why the "library/audio path in Finder doesn't show any of the Native files. I'm sure it's by design but why have those folders if nothing is added to them?

Many thanks!!!!

My solution in M1

1. Helix Native AU validation failed in Logic Pro 

2. Run Logic Pro as Rosetta Mode

3. Helix Native is working (No fail) in Logic Pro / Rosetta

4. Exit Logic Pro

5. Run Logic Pro as Native (Non Rosetta)

6. Helix Native can now be used. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, godoq said:

My solution in M1

1. Helix Native AU validation failed in Logic Pro 

2. Run Logic Pro as Rosetta Mode

3. Helix Native is working (No fail) in Logic Pro / Rosetta

4. Exit Logic Pro

5. Run Logic Pro as Native (Non Rosetta)

6. Helix Native can now be used. 

Thanks for the info - it will be very helpful to other users who are having this problem.

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, tsuyoshiaino said:

Hi, 

Thanx for the information above,  I can now run Helix Native on M1 Mac, but unfortunately, I have a performance issue.

Helix Native with Rosetta seems to consume so much CPU power,. How about you guys ?

Tsuyoshi

Rosetta may not be the solution that many users think. 

There is someone over on the Helix Native pages who has found out.