Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help..why my helix rack only support 100v..

andysusu

I bought a helix in Japan. When I returned to my country, I found that it only supports 100v on the back, but the specifications I saw on the Internet before I bought it all support 100v~240v. Why are the specifications of Japanese helix different? I bought it and cannot use 220v, nor can I take it to other countries for performances..... I bought it and it hasn’t been used so far, and no one can answer my question correctly. Helix is not sold in my country.. So I can only buy it in Japan. I think the world has a unified specification that can support 100v~240v voltage. As a result, I seemed to be wrong.. I bought it now but it is completely unusable.

2021-09-02 09.41.53.jpg

Yes, the Helix in the rest of the world ships with a universal power supply, but it could be that they ship a Japan-specific one for whatever reason. There may be some sort of specific regulation, or it could be that since the 100V is at the bottom of the range of the universal power supply, that it causes issues. But I haven’t seen this before.

• Like 1

That is interesting and not something I've heard of before, where is your home county and what is the mains voltage there?

With regards to touring it, living in the UK when I see American bands playing here they often appear to be using 240/110V transformers whether their gear can use 240V or not so I don't think you're losing out there.

Craig

• Like 2

9 hours ago, andysusu said:

I found that it only supports 100v on the back

Hi,

Japan is different from most counties as the mains AC power is 100v and depending on which area of Japan it will be either 50 or 60Hz.

The Rack unit that you have must be specifically made for the Japanese market, but it should not be a problem using it in another country provided that you use a suitable step down transformer.

Do a Google search for AC power transformers - for example in the U.K. or Europe, something like this.

https://airlinktransformers.com/category/japan-europe-voltage-converters

Some background info about Japanese Electricity here:

https://tokyofromtheinside.com/electricity-ac-japan/

Hope this helps/makes sense.

EDIT:

The info in the Japanese Helix Rack and Control 3.0 Owner’s Manual is a direct translation from the English version and simply says: “Connect Helix to a grounded AC power outlet.”

Edited by datacommando
Added text
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, andysusu said:

and no one can answer my question correctly.

Aside from the great advice you've been given on this thread, it never hurts to reach out to Line 6 directly by submitting a support ticket :)

14 hours ago, andysusu said:

I bought it now but it is completely unusable.

Not at all.... you seem to be in a part of the world that varies from country to country... even region to region. A step down transformer does not cost much, and mitigates this problem easily. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/2/2021 at 12:07 PM, andysusu said:

Unfortunately, the voltage in my area is 220v... Why other the international version Helix rack support 100v~240v not applicable to Japan? Why make a only 100v for japan? This is very illogical...

Well it may or may not be illogical... but either way, it's definitely irrelevant.

So Japan has a weird electrical grid, and/or rules about power supplies on consumer grade electronics .. who cares? Finding out "why" might be useful if you were a 'Jeopardy' contestant, but otherwise, it won't solve your problem. And continuing to fixate on it is particularly useless when a perfectly good solution exists, and is both inexpensive and readily available. Get a transformer... problem solved.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, andysusu said:

Unfortunately, the voltage in my area is 220v... Why other the international version Helix rack support 100v~240v not applicable to Japan? Why make a only 100v for japan? This is very illogical...

Hi again,

The 100v for Japan might be a legal requirement for that country. It's not a big deal.

This should not be difficult - as noted by everyone on this thread you simply need a step down transformer to suit your local voltage. 

Major bands do world tours and have to cover every possible situation, do you think that they buy new equipment for every electrical supply that they encounter.

No, they probably have to rely on good crew technicians who can patch in whatever transformer is required for any given situation.

Some people worry too much.

Although it's a really good example of don't buy something in a different country because it looks like a good deal, it may cost more in the long run.

For the second time this week - "Caveat emptor!"