Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I want to play through two amps and two cabs at the same time

357mag

On 8/12/2022 at 11:07 PM, 357mag said:

How do I set up a preset so I am playing through two amps and two cabs at the same time? Trying to get a big sound for heavy metal. I have enclosed a screen shot but I think I'm doing it wrong:

Helix Final.png

That's one way to go - if it sounds good it's good.  Here you're running parallel paths. My go to is usually one split path.  Each has their strengths and weaknesses. 

There's usually several ways to accomplish what you want to with a Helix. 

• Like 1

First, RTM.

If you'd at least looked at it you'd know that the X on the lower path means there's no Input (that's the INPUT Block).

Now give us some details. Two amps. What kind? Same make and model? Guitar amps? Power amps? FRFR?

Same speaker cabs? If you're using guitar amps and speaker cabs, why are using Helix amps and cabs?

If they're guitar amps they might have FX Loops. Do you want to run them in 4cm? (RTM)

Do you want to run them in stereo? Dual Mono?

Need more info.

Did I mention RTM? I'm not just being snarky. Lots of people come here with questions because the manual confused them.

We're happy to answer questions, but reciting the manual to you page by page is a whole 'nother thing!

• Upvote 1

On 8/13/2022 at 6:07 AM, 357mag said:

How do I set up a preset so I am playing through two amps and two cabs at the same time?

As noted by “rd2rk” in the post above - RTM. See Pages 20 - 22 

Here’s the link - read, study and inwardly digest.

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a41871c611d5f796d55e/application/pdf/Helix Rack and Control 3.0 Owner's Manual - Rev E - English .pdf

Page 21 has an illustration of the exact setup you are asking about!

On 8/13/2022 at 12:07 AM, 357mag said:

How do I set up a preset so I am playing through two amps and two cabs at the same time? Trying to get a big sound for heavy metal. I have enclosed a screen shot but I think I'm doing it wrong:

Helix Final.png

Look at that big "X" with the word "none" below it at the beginning of the lower path.

That means no signal is entering it. Set that the same as the TOP path.... "Multi"... 

There are other ways to do it as well... but getting that preset to work would be a good start. 

• Upvote 1

Just so you know, the "massive sound" you're looking for really isn't a function of multiple cabinets like it is in the real world, but is generally associated with the mic(s) used and the application of early reflections on the cabinet model which simulates the room echoes/ambience.  Multiple cabinets in the sense of a modeler will just mix the tonal attributes of the two cabs and their associated mics.

• Like 1

I always use HX EDIT or the plug-in. But here is what I do:

- On the top line, click and drag a distortion pedal downward and it will create a second path. Then drag the Amp and Cab onto that branch as well.

- You will now have 2 parallel paths that are still in MONO. Hover over the NODE at the END the path. Now click and you will get options on how the path is routed. You want to set the A PAN to LEFT 100 and the B PAN to RIGHT 100.

NOTE: After you make a stereo branch you will need to use STEREO effects from then on. Unless you make another SPLIT BRANCH. Inside your parallel SPLITS, use MONO effects since they will be panned Left/Right by the router.

I normally use one amp and then use two cabs or two IRs. You also get some cool depth by using two different reverbs in each leg.

I often will run an EQ in each leg as well to really dial the Cab/IR sound. You could even just use two EQs to get a wider sound and skip the expensive Cab/IR. With the Helix you have limitless options.

You can also run a reverb after a Cab/IR and use that as your "ROOM" mic. So you have a branch for the cab sound and one for the room sound. So you can use the EQ to dial out bass/treble and and create a stereo "room" sound with the verb/delay.

The trickiest thing is being efficient with when you split and when you need to use Stereo or Mono effects. So you dont run out of processing power/blocks.

Helix_Split_B.png

• Upvote 1

I would most likely be interested in running two different amp heads (like maybe the JCM-800 and the Soldano Lead) and two different types of Celestion cabinets. I am not using any real amps in my apartment. I am only playing through the Helix. I would like to try running them in stereo and just hear if it makes any difference than running them in mono. 

Here's a sample "comparison" preset. You can use it to compare amps, cabs and mics.

SS1 is both amps & cabs, one panned full left, the other full right.

SS2 is the amp & cab on Path A.

SS3 is the amp & cab on Path B.

In all three snapshots you'll hear the amp(s) in both speakers since after the MERGE the signal is stereo, collapsed to (dual) mono in SS2 &SS3.

The panning is done in the MERGE block. 

Rarely will the stock settings of two amps be at the same level.

Rarely will the stock settings of two cabs be at the same level.

Rarely will two mics give the same apparent level.

To minimize variables, use the CHANNEL VOLUME on the amps (does not affect tone) to level the signals.

If you add anything AFTER the merge (a simple ROOM reverb adds a bit of "room" feel), be sure to use a STEREO effect. 

I created this preset on an HXS which is why there's only one main path. You may need to route Path 1 to Path 2 to use anything other than the Legacy reverbs.

357Mag.hlx