Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Thoughts on wireless system with Helix?

lespool79

I have a helix and right now I gig with 3 different guitars b/c of tuning issues.  I use one guitar 95% of the time, however.  Anyone have any thoughts on how to logically get that 1 guitar to be hooked up to a wireless system?

Or I suppose I can perhaps keep the wireless pack on my jeans and then step on the tuner button to mute and unplug the 1/4 inch jack and change guitars (then all 3 can be wireless).   Im just curious the logistics of this and whether there is anything clever the helix offers to meet this need?

I have been using https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/wireless-systems/glx-d_digital_wireless/glxd16-guitar-pedal-set

I always run wireless, unless I'm recording something to avoid any degradation of signal.  This system is discontinued, but you can still find it on eBay.  It's pretty great for most applications, unless you plan on doing the Angus Young thing where he runs into the audience 1/2 mile away from the amps.  There are certain frequency ranges, some of them have greater latency, but offer more reliability.  Corey Wong used this when he played at MSG, so good enough for him, good enough for my small/medium sized club gigs.  Anyway....

I bought a 2nd wireless transmitter for the Shure wireless.  By the way, for each transmitter, you can set a separate gain level, including negative gain.  So that's very convenient if you have a lower or higher output guitar you want to use as a backup.  Both transmitters can be paired to the same receiver.  So if you need to swap guitars, turn off one transmitter, turn on another one.  Leave the transmitters in each guitar.  Neotech makes great holders for your wireless systems.  That's it. 

On 12/8/2022 at 8:13 AM, lespool79 said:

I suppose I can perhaps keep the wireless pack on my jeans and then step on the tuner button to mute and unplug the 1/4 inch jack and change guitars

It's a really easy and elegant solution... I've been doing that for too many years to count. Long before Line 6 existed let alone the Helix.

FWIW, On the Helix I run a volume pedal all the time... I just drop it to heel down when I switch guitars. Much faster than waiting for the tuner to engage. 

On 12/8/2022 at 7:13 PM, lespool79 said:

I'm looking at the line 6 G 50.  

I think the point is the G10S automatically mutes which isn't true of the G50.  I had a G50 which now sits in my garage unused because the auto mute of the G10S is just so convenient for switching guitars on stage.  Pull it out of one and plug it into the other and it's completely silent.

As a G10 owner, I don't suggest this system for gigs. They can be fine for rearshal if room is clean from WiFi. Extremely unreliable unless you are playing in a location where you're sure there aren't many WiFi devices around. I can't use this system anymore because of that. Also tried to solve grabbing the G10S, but didn't change anything. There is not a single reliable and stable channel due the fact today every single house has at least a WiFi router ongoing, then there are access points, mesh systems, repeaters etc... This is a problem that only a professional wireless system can handle.

On 12/8/2022 at 6:13 PM, lespool79 said:

I'm looking at the line 6 G 50.  

That's what I've been using for the past 4 years. It's been great. I much prefer a unit that uses AA batteries over having them built in, and I also like to be able to choose my frequency, not have a unit attempt to automate it in an ever changing environment. 

• Upvote 1