Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Should I Update the Firmware?

jbrink09

Hi all. I have had a Line6 Helix for several years now (2016) and have used it regularly, but have never really kept up with the firmware updates. I think I may have done it once. (I know, I know….).

My question is, is it worth trying to update the firmware at this point? I am many, many versions behind and am afraid that updating might brick the Helix altogether, but am looking for some other opinions.

Thanks for your time.

On 7/18/2023 at 3:19 PM, jbrink09 said:

Hi all. I have had a Line6 Helix for several years now (2016) and have used it regularly, but have never really kept up with the firmware updates. I think I may have done it once. (I know, I know….).

My question is, is it worth trying to update the firmware at this point? I am many, many versions behind and am afraid that updating might brick the Helix altogether, but am looking for some other opinions.

Thanks for your time.

Depends on you and your own needs.

Just read what have been fixed, improved or added in the various firmware upgrades, and made your decision based on that.

Im still a version behind because latest version broken something for me, so I understand your concerns.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Everybody on this forum says "step 1 is to upgrade".  I disagree.  To me, anything after 3.11 is unusable due to serious bugs that will break my presets.  I downgraded and am happily gigging and recording on 3.11. 

@jbrink09 Contrary to the reluctancy expressed in the replies above, my recommendation is that you absolutely upgrade to the latest firmware!! There have been massive improvements, feature additions, and more. Be sure that you do a backup of any Custom Settings, Presets, etc. before you proceed! This will allow you to Restore anything which you have Backed Up, after you install the latest firmware. When you do any Restore (of your previously backed up content), it will processed and converted to be compliant with the new features. If you want to know the specifics of what has been added, improved, etc. Read the Release Notes which are available at HelixHelp.com or on the Line6 downloads page for each software release. The format is easier on HelixHelp.com. 

The upgrade process is very straightforward -- if you follow the instructions precisely!!  And, no you do not need to install the updates in order, one by one! Simply install the latest update! Know that HX Edit is the program to first install! This will handle everything! However, you must read and follow the instructions precisely!!

Hope this helps!

If you have questions, please ask! There are many users here to help. 

• Like 2

Today I drove my car. I knew there was a possibility that I could be involved in an accident, but it didn't happen.

Perhaps not the best analogy, but I've had my Helix since 2016 and done every update as soon as it was available.

Never had an issue.

Not saying that it doesn't happen, but if you backup beforehand you can always roll back the update if something breaks.

Life is a constant risk with only one guaranteed outcome - death.

Live for today. Act BOLDLY! Update NOW! (unless you have a gig tonight...)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/18/2023 at 9:18 PM, rd2rk said:

Life is a constant risk with only one guaranteed outcome - death.

No one here gets out alive. - Mr Mojo Risin’

Although,  I understand the full quote is - “‘Nothing is certain except death and taxes” - Benjamin Franklin, 1789.

On 7/18/2023 at 4:21 PM, datacommando said:

No one here gets out alive. - Mr Mojo Risin’

Although,  I understand the full quote is - “‘Nothing is certain except death and taxes” - Benjamin Franklin, 1789.

Ben was speaking of normal citizens.

The very poor, with no income or assets, pay no taxes.

The very rich often pay little in taxes. They pay accountants and lawyers instead.

• Haha 1

On 7/19/2023 at 12:20 AM, MGW-Alberta said:

Can global settings be backed up?

Yup, the backup routine does Global Settings, Impulse Responses, Favorites, User Model Defaults and Presets. Should the install fail you can restore any, or all of these options.

On 7/19/2023 at 3:17 AM, MGW-Alberta said:

Hmmmm ....
That has not occurred during any of my "restore from backup" experiences.

I have always had to make those changes manually after a restoration.

Is there a backup setting I have to change, perhaps?

Or maybe it's a restore setting ... I'm going to have to remember to look into this when I get home and make a note to myself.

I keep a document with important things I learn that I won't normally use except on rare occaisions.

Hi,

IIRC, the backup/restore options were modified some time back, maybe around HX Edit v3.

Anyhow, if you open HX Edit and click on the Help icon in the lower left of the GUI, you can access the Pilot’s Guide. On pages 27 - 29 you can find the “Creating & Restoring Complete Device Backups” options, including Extracting Files from a Backup.

Hope this helps/makes sense.