Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line 6 Central - Live and ready to download.

datacommando

If you go to the Downloads page and select Line 6 Central from the Choose Software option then choose your OS, you will find.

Line 6 Central is the new Line 6 device management platform. The modern user interface in Line 6 Central brings a simple and clear experience for keeping all your Line 6 gear updated with the latest firmware.

This version of Line 6 Central supports the following device families:

• Helix (Helix, Helix Rack, Helix LT)
  • HX (HX Effects, HX Stomp, HX Stomp XL, HX One)
  • POD Go (POD Go, POD Go Wireless)
  • Catalyst (60/100/200)
  • DL4 Mk II
  • Spider V (20/30/60/120/120HC/30 MkII/60 MkII/120 MkII/120HC MkII)
  • FBV Mk III
  • G70/G75
  • G10 (G10/G10S/G10T/G10TII)
  • AMPLIFi (30/75/150/FX/TT)
  • Firehawk (FX/1500)
  • POD HD500 (HD500/Pro/Bean/500X/Pro X)
  • Tyler Variax (59/69/89/Standard/Shuriken)
  • POD Studio (UX1/UX2/GX)
  • Toneport (UX1/UX2/GX/DI)
  • Variax (300/600/500/700/VUI)

Support for Powercab will be coming soon.

Compatible OS: Mac OS X, macOS Big Sur, macOS Monterey, macOS Ventura, macOS Sonoma

Let's hope this puts an end to "Update bricked my Helix" posts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/15/2023 at 8:52 PM, silverhead said:

Sounds like a new Line 6 Monkey.

Yup! At last, and a very good idea to bring everything in line to hopefully simplify lots of things.

DI made a vague mention of something being due over on TPG an couple of days back, and I was hoping for something like this.

Good news indeed!

Oops! Mac users take note.

There's a glitch - even though the download page specifies Mac OSX - it will not launch on Mac OS Catalina version 10.15.7. The application requires OS 11.0 or later.

Compatible OS: Mac OS X, macOS Big Sur, macOS Monterey, macOS Ventura, macOS Sonoma.

Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 3.06.39 pm.png

On 11/16/2023 at 3:12 PM, datacommando said:

Oops! Mac users take note.

There's a glitch - even though the download page specifies Mac OSX - it will not launch on Mac OS Catalina version 10.15.7. The application requires OS 11.0 or later.

Compatible OS: Mac OS X, macOS Big Sur, macOS Monterey, macOS Ventura, macOS Sonoma.

UPDATE:

It appears this is not a glitch - I raised a ticket asking about this.

"Hi,

LIne 6 Central doesn't launch on OS Catalina. Instead, an Error Message is displayed that states it requires macOS 11.0 or above to run.

This is not mentioned on the software download page, which actually does specify:-

Compatible OS: Mac OS X, macOS Big Sur, macOS Monterey, macOS Ventura, macOS Sonoma.

Please advise."

Here is the reply I got from the Support Ticket:

"Hi, 
Catalina is not supported you can see this in the download section : 
macOS Big Sur, macOS Monterey, macOS Ventura, macOS Sonoma. 

MacOSX does not mean "all other OS", otherwise they would be mentioned there 
Best regards 
Technical Support 
Line 6 /Ampeg/Yamaha Guitar Group Support Europe"

Uh?

O.K.  it appears that when it states - Compatible OS: Mac OS X, macOS Big Sur etc., it doesn't actually mean Mac OSX.

OS Catalina 10.15 was the last iteration of the version 10 operating system, known as Mac OSX in 2019, and was superseded by macOS Big Sur v.11.0 in November 2020.

That clears that up then!

It must be me?

I heard it on the X.

Edited by datacommando
  • Thanks 1

On 11/16/2023 at 6:41 PM, datacommando said:

"MacOSX does not mean "all other OS", otherwise they would be mentioned there"

Haven't checked HX Edit v3.70 yet, but HX Edit 3.62 as well as Native 3.60 still work on El Capitan although the release notes say Sierra. In fact, even HX Edit 3.70 still says in its Info.plist "LSMinimumSystemVersion: 10.8". That's Mountain Lion! (Having a bootable 10.8 partition, I should check that out :D)

"Central" being a completely new app, I'm not surprised they are dropping support for "old" MacOS. Although cutting off Catalina is rather steep. Musicians tend to be conservative with upgrades. Heck, I know a professional recording studio in my neighborhood who still run their ProTools on a Mac Pro with Mountain Lion because it just works.

On 11/17/2023 at 12:05 AM, lou-kash said:

Haven't checked HX Edit v3.70 yet, but HX Edit 3.62 as well as Native 3.60 still work on El Capitan although the release notes say Sierra. In fact, even HX Edit 3.70 still says in its Info.plist "LSMinimumSystemVersion: 10.8". That's Mountain Lion! (Having a bootable 10.8 partition, I should check that out :D)

"Central" being a completely new app, I'm not surprised they are dropping support for "old" MacOS. Although cutting off Catalina is rather steep. Musicians tend to be conservative with upgrades. Heck, I know a professional recording studio in my neighborhood who still run their ProTools on a Mac Pro with Mountain Lion because it just works.

Hi,

Yes, AFAIK, this is only the new Line 6 Central that requires a minimum of Big Sur to run. It confused me that the download page does actually specify Mac OSX then continues to list other incremental OS changes up to the very latest v.14 Sonoma.

I also commented about this over on TGP where a guy replied and said it was may be time to upgrade, as Catalina was 4 years old. Yeah, right, I have been using Macs right back to the original Plus where the System software was on a single sided floppy disk. I spent many years as an early adopter of Apple stuff, but I later learned that some changes to the Mac OS could bring down the whole house of cards and things just no longer worked as they should. I took to the idea of if it isn’t broken you don’t need to fix it. I could end up with a whole bunch of audio plug-ins that no longer work. I know because it has happened before.

Anyhow, I don’t intend to move on to Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura or whatever simply to use a Utility app. It’s not really that important to me, I can keep on as I am.

On 11/17/2023 at 2:13 AM, datacommando said:

I don’t intend to move on to Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura or whatever simply to use a Utility app

Having bought a new MBA 15" earlier this year, I'm on the "cutting edge" at this moment, hehe.
But the new app is nothing essential yet. Likely it might be eventually convenient when certain next updates arrive, considering how annoyingly buried some of the actual dowloads on line6.com/software are. But as of now, I haven't seen anything that couldn't be accomplished via HX Edit, apart from seeing a large colorful thumbnail of my Stomp.

if it isn’t broken you don’t need to fix it. I could end up with a whole bunch of audio plug-ins that no longer work. I know because it has happened before.

I have joined the logicprohelp.com/forums recently. (I'm a Logic user since 2001.) They are full of stories like this, e.g. retired musicians still happily working with their antique Mac Pros running OS 10.7 and Logic 8 or 9. And on the other hand folks hastily upgrading to Sonoma 14.0.x (aka the real public beta) amidst a recording/mixing project and wondering why all of the sudden they cannot meet their deadlines that were "yesterday".

• Upvote 1

requires a minimum of Big Sur to run

Speaking of which, sometimes you can fool an app to launch on older OS simply by editing the "LSMinimumSystemVersion" attribute in *.app/Contents/Info.plist. As long as there aren't any system libraries and framework dependencies, they may still run normally. Been there done that, e.g. with several versions of Firefox a few years ago.

• Upvote 1

On 11/17/2023 at 12:56 PM, datacommando said:

I was real big fan of ResEdit way back in the mists of time! 

github.com/andrews05/ResForge 
You're in luck, it's still Catalina compatible! :D

I also have this German book: zvab.com/servlet/SearchResults?kn=9783908489948

But for editing an Info.plist all you need is TextEdit.

• Upvote 1

On 11/17/2023 at 11:45 AM, lou-kash said:

sometimes you can fool an app to launch on older OS simply by editing the "LSMinimumSystemVersion" attribute in *.app/Contents/Info.plist

Alright, just tested but this trick doesn't work with Central.

On 11/17/2023 at 1:07 PM, lou-kash said:

Alright, just tested but this trick doesn't work with Central.

Oh, well it was worth checking out if the hack would work. I think I can live without a few nice shiny icons - I know what I have connected. 

Thanks.

On the good news side:
HX Edit and Native 3.70 still run on El Capitan.
You may need to update HX Edit (and possibly also the firmware) manually, as it isn't aware of updates anymore. That's been the case with 3.60 already, as far as I recall.

On 11/17/2023 at 1:53 PM, lou-kash said:

That's been the case with 3.60 already, as far as I recall.

Correct, it was an issue with 3.60, BUT on newer Mac running Ventura and above.

Link:

So far I have always been lucky with the updates, right back to v.1.06.5 in 2016.

Having said that - I am on my way to the studio to install 3.70 in the next hour or so. 

:-o

Aaand, fun fact: 

On 11/17/2023 at 1:05 AM, lou-kash said:

HX Edit 3.70 still says in its Info.plist "LSMinimumSystemVersion: 10.8". That's Mountain Lion! (Having a bootable 10.8 partition, I should check that out :D)

So HX Edit 3.70 actually launches on Mountain Lion, but it doesn't open any window. Obviously there are some required frameworks missing.
At least my HX Stomp is still being recognized as a USB Audio device with the default 48 kHz sampling rate.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 3/11/2024 at 2:16 PM, JesseWebDotCom said:

While I can see my variax USB, I dont see my Shuriken Variax SR70.

Do you have a 1/4” cable plugged into the Shuriken with the volume turned up and the battery charged?

On 3/18/2024 at 10:37 PM, symmetry said:

What does Central actually do? Is it just a tool for updating equipment? Or can you move and install patches as well?

Well, the answer is in the first line of text of the download info:- 

Line 6 Central is the new Line 6 device management platform. The modern user interface in Line 6 Central brings a simple and clear experience for keeping all your Line 6 gear updated with the latest firmware.”

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...

While I'd hope for Line6 to extend compatibility to Catalina, at least I hope they don't eventually drop it for HX Edit. I wouldn'like to have to spend ~2000€ on a new MacMini just to be able to update my Helix...

Is anyone else having the when launched “cannot run with administrator privileges” issue like described here: https://line6.com/support/page/kb/general-faq/line-6-central-app-now-available-r1066

As I had it with the previous version and also this updated one I have done as the article describes and with both but nothing changed. I also tried a uninstall of the previous version and just installing the latest, but that didn't fix it either.

Just for the info this is on a Win10 machine with all latest updates and the latest of everything for the Line 6 items as well.

The hardware device I am using is a HX Stomp and I have no other problems starting any of its other software or connecting to the device.

I don't have any other issues like this on the machine and have never seen this error before for anything else.

On 3/30/2024 at 12:08 AM, RyanRC said:

I have done as the article describes and with both but nothing changed.

Hi,

The article also states:-

We encourage you to contact our Support Staff if you run into any other issues with Line 6 Central.”

That seems to be a good idea, as they cannot fix things that they are unaware of.

On 3/30/2024 at 7:02 AM, datacommando said:

Hi,

The article also states:-

We encourage you to contact our Support Staff if you run into any other issues with Line 6 Central.”

That seems to be a good idea, as they cannot fix things that they are unaware of.

Hello datacommando

Actually I did try submitting a support ticket but as of yet all I have gotten as a response was to use the older legacy products and not even a suggestion of anything I could try.

All in all I would have thought that with creating the KB article and via the date they did they would have known about this and at least had some ideas, but so far past what is in the article they haven't suggested anything.

Would also think it odd for it to even have this be a issue as for people with a personal PC, I don't know to many that do not run it as the administrator, so between that and how they don't have this issue with their other programs, and that all this seems to be is just something that more or less checks for updates, you would think a solution would not be that difficult.

At any rate, as such I thought I might try here as perhaps someone out there may have figured out a solution.

Thanks

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

When is an iPad version of Line 6 Central coming out? My studio is based around an iPad Pro M2 and the Line 6 Central software is one of the few things I need to lug out a Macbook for. Not the end of the world, but an increasing amount of people are going iPad Pro only as their primary device. Would be nice to keep the software up with the demand and, as I've seen with the Catalyst Edit app, Line 6 is capable of making killer apps for iOS. 

That said, the Mac version of Line 6 Central works well and I appreciate that this exists.