Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Trying to update to 3.7

rwinking

Not sure what is going wrong here in doing the update on my Stomp XL. I was able to update my HX FX  and HX edit to 3.7 with a bit of difficulty. However the HX Stomp is not happening. I am getting error  messages like

Failed to download firmware update file.

Please check your Internet connection and try again.

Unknown Error. [code -2004]

I tried the udater and got this one:

HX Stomp XL frimware update suspended

HX Stomp did not reset instructing it to enter into DFL Mode

I still have my Helix rack and Helix LT to update but as I will be using the rack for gigs this week, I am hesitant to try this.

What stupid mistake am I making this time?

On 11/16/2023 at 10:01 PM, rwinking said:

Not sure what is going wrong here in doing the update on my Stomp XL. I was able to update my HX FX  and HX edit to 3.7 with a bit of difficulty. However the HX Stomp is not happening. I am getting error  messages like

I still have my Helix rack and Helix LT to update but as I will be using the rack for gigs this week, I am hesitant to try this.

Hi,

I just spotted that you mentioned:

“HX Stomp XL frimware update suspended

HX Stomp did not reset instructing it to enter into DFL Mode”

IIRC, I haven’t seen that reported since version 2.8 - I also think that what you meant to type was “DFU Mode”. 

That mode is Device Firmware Upgrade mode which should allow devices to be restored from any state, using the minimum system in the Boot ROM. Maybe try putting it into update mode by restarting your Stomp XL while holding down Page > to force it to continue. I suggest that you also make sure you are logged into your Line 6 account. Possible there is a large amount of network traffic with people downloading simultaneously and the carrier has dropped.

Personally, I intend to wait a while before updating this one.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

On 11/17/2023 at 9:53 AM, kornea said:

Same issue with Helix Floor... In my case, the download failed at the end (41 MB)...

Hi,

As I mentioned in the post above, there may be large amounts of network traffic all hitting the download servers, which is common after a firmware update. The whole world and his brother try to download immediately the firmware goes live. Maybe a “time out” issue caused the failure.

Anyhow, I do know that it has been reported elsewhere that performing a local install while disconnected from the internet works just fine, but requires a little more user involvement.

To save me from lots of typing I will point you to the Line 6 guide of “how to”.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

I love the smell of Firmware Russian Roulette in the morning...

It doesn't have to be this way, folks, lol... this happens with practically every update. DON'T be an early adopter, unless you like being a guinea pig. Barring some sort of "my life depends on updating Helix TODAY" scenario (and frankly I cannot fathom what might cause such a situation), just wait. Your Helix is still every bit as good as it was yesterday. Give it a week, perhaps two. By then, courtesy of everyone who volunteered to be cannon fodder, the bugs will either have been squashed, or they won't... but at least you'll know what the score is. Either way you'll have saved yourself hours of aggravation and wasted time, and you'll still have a functioning device... while the "I need it now!" contingent goes quietly (well ok, maybe not quietly) insane.

So rock on, if it still turns on...

If not, we now return you to your regularly scheduled stress-induced alopecia ;)

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

It's important to remember that the internet is a house of cards built on a foundation of quicksand, using a fractured telecommunications infrastructure. Servers go down or get slow periodically, whether it's in-house, Amazon, Azure, other cloud services, whatever. I use OneDrive for real-time saving of docs. Sometimes it's lightning-fast, sometimes it takes several minutes while the data sits a queue to be saved.  

However, I updated HX Stomp and Native last night with zero problems, using Windows 10. I'll be updating floor today, and I expect it will work equally well. The new amps are really good, and the Feedbacker effect is wild. It's also great to see more hi-res cabs. Overall, a very welcome update IMHO.

BTW I will be updating The Big Book of Helix Tips and Tricks to v1.4, and it will be a free update to current owners. I don't have an ETA yet, but hopefully before the end of the year.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

On 11/16/2023 at 2:01 PM, rwinking said:

I had this problem with my Stomp on 3.6 and 3.7. Everything else worked fine (Edit, HXFX, and Native). The fix was to download the update from my iPad and copy it to my Mac. Opened the Line 6 Updater app and selected the file. Worked fine.

On 11/18/2023 at 12:32 PM, skiman1 said:

Like any other software or firmware update to ANY device, never install when it first comes out, wait a few weeks, let the additional bugs get figured out.

Yup... and this time around seems to be worse than usual. I counted no less than 9 separate threads of update woes over the last few days. Either nobody ever learns, or the need for instant gratification is the most powerful force in the universe. Hard to say, lol...

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...

I just ran into the same issue updating from 3.6 to 3.7.1 on the HX Stomp. It would partially update the firmware then I would get this error:

HX Stomp firmware update suspended

HX Stomp did not reset instructing it to enter into DFU Mode

I then hit resume and unplugged  and plugged the USB cable back in and it resumed and completed the update.  Then do a power cycle factory reset and restore from back up and I was all set.