Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Different functions, same switch, per snapshot?

thirdspace

That is not possible. 

But you can use the Command Center to set up your buttons in Stomp mode to show different presets on the bottom row for example, and the top row can be for stomps.  Therefore, you can use the upper row do different things depending on which preset you are in.  So basically instead of snapshots, we can use presets.  If you don't want an audio gap when changing presets, you can enable "preset spillover" which will make your signal path to half what it used to be.  That's the only thing I can think of....

ok, I'll miss the point as well.

you CAN have a fs be assigned to different snapshots depending on which snapshot you are in.  For example, I have 3 snapshots that turn on certain mod boxes (and turn off the others).  lets call the snapshots Trem, Chr, Scr.  in snapshot 1, FS1 is assigned to Trem.  In snapshot2 FS1 is assigned to Chr.  In snapshot 3, FS1 is assigned to Scr.  

So when I am in Stomp mode (because that is where the CC assignments come into play) I can cycle through FS1 to turn on/off the Trem, Chr, or Scr.  This works great.

I believe the OP was asking if he can do this but using Midi Commands.  I no nothing about MIDI, however since you are just sending commands, it would seem possible to work with MIDI as well.

I’m always intrigued by discussions like this. A very specific question is asked, with a clear binary correct answer, in this case No. A one word answer is requested and provided. The person who posed the question disappears, having received the requested answer…..

Then the thread takes on a whole different life involving other people providing their own interpretations of what else the OP might have been asking, or providing their own speculative reasons for why they think the answer is what it is -  expecting that the OP must be interested in that. But the OP is gone, maybe to return and maybe not. Meantime….. carry on. I find it a curious phenomenon but perhaps someone will learn something.

• Haha 2

so, in my one preset, In snapshot1, FS1 = Snapshot 2.   In the same preset but Snapshot 2, FS1 = Snapshot 3.  In the same preset but Snapshot 3, FS1 =Snapshot 1.

Is that not assigning different functions to the same FS dependent on which Snapshot you are in?  Isn't he asking this in his next sentence?

"

but can you set up different functions for the same switch depending on which snapshot you are in?

Say in Snapshot 1, FS 2 sends a MIDI CC, but in Snapshot 2 the same switch recalls a preset. 

"

On 12/22/2023 at 11:26 PM, PaulTBaker said:

so, in my one preset, In snapshot1, FS1 = Snapshot 2.   In the same preset but Snapshot 2, FS1 = Snapshot 3.  In the same preset but Snapshot 3, FS1 =Snapshot 1.

Hi,

I think we may be having an issue here about the “common terminology” used in the HX family of products.

The thing you are describing in your particular preset is what is generally referred to as “Stackable Snapshots”, which are created through the Command Centre. The use of CC to create customised Snapshots and footswitch assignments was discussed, and even included a demo video, in one of the OP’s previous posts in this forum.

I’m not entirely sure if he is asking about Stackable Snapshots - his question is not clear enough, but how many times can you supply someone with the same solution, if they don’t bother to follow up the answer provided. Who knows - maybe this time the poster has actually gone to RTFM, and check out some tutorial videos.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

On 12/21/2023 at 11:01 AM, thirdspace said:

I have probably missed the point completely, but can you set up different functions for the same switch depending on which snapshot you are in?

Say in Snapshot 1, FS 2 sends a MIDI CC, but in Snapshot 2 the same switch recalls a preset. 

Is that possible?

Using "commend center" you can come close, but not as you are hoping.

You can assign a footswitch to several things in command center. MIDI CC, MIDI CC Toggle, Snapshots, Presets, etc... etc...  Once you choose one of those, it is forever set on that switch within the preset. You can use different values per snapshot, but you can't change the assignment type. 

EG: If you set the switch to MIDI CC or MIDI CC Toggle, you can have a different CC value on each snapshot, but you can't change the assignment type to "presets".

I used to loop the MIDI In/Out and send a CC message back to itself. If you know the Helix midi implementation, you can make that switch control almost anything on the Helix, and do something different on the next snapshot by sending a different midi command. If you have external midi devices, you still need to loop back to the Helix eventually... and use dedicated midi channels per device. It adds a level of complexity, but still works. 

The midi loopback system works great... but you will need a solid understanding of MIDI and Midi Implementation to use it effectively. 

• Upvote 1

Thank you.  Stackable snapshots, I forgot the name!  and thank you for the midi loop info.  I may try that.  I really which I could go from the preset mode (where up/down are available) directly to Stomp mode (10 switches) with out having to pass through the Snapshot mode.