Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

String volumes not equal (JTV-59 and JTV-69)

I've got a JTV-59 (Les Paul-style body) and a JTV-69 (Strat-style).  On both the high E is quieter than the other strings.  On the JTV-59 I cranked out the pickup pole-piece (both pickups) and got the volume pretty close.  Since the single coil pickups on the JTV-69 don't have adjustable pole-pieces, that's not an option anyway.

I have to believe that there's an adjustment in the electronics somewhere which would let me (or an approved technician) equalize the volume without such a brute-force adjustment.

On 1/9/2024 at 12:33 PM, NoCoolUserName said:

I've got a JTV-59 (Les Paul-style body) and a JTV-69 (Strat-style).  On both the high E is quieter than the other strings.  On the JTV-59 I cranked out the pickup pole-piece (both pickups) and got the volume pretty close.  Since the single coil pickups on the JTV-69 don't have adjustable pole-pieces, that's not an option anyway.

I have to believe that there's an adjustment in the electronics somewhere which would let me (or an approved technician) equalize the volume without such a brute-force adjustment.

Are you having issues with the modeled sounds, or when using the mag pickups? If it's the models that are the problem (as they often are with the piezo saddles), individual string volumes can be adjusted in Workbench. Adjusting the mag pickup height, or the height of individual pole pieces won't help you... the mag pickups are disengaged when using the models.  They have nothing to do with the string volume of modeled tones.

Mags or piezos,... with the mags, it's the set-up, string distance from pole pieces have to be correct or warbling and attenuations can occur.

Being on the edge of fretting out on those string can attenuate,... also a set-up thing.

With piezos, it's about tension, as the mechanical energy transforms into electric energy. 9's or lighter don't give enough tension and 12's are

too much, so 10's and 11's are the best and optimum for these piezos.

On 1/11/2024 at 10:11 AM, psarkissian said:

Mags or piezos,... with the mags, it's the set-up, string distance from pole pieces have to be correct or warbling and attenuations can occur.

Being on the edge of fretting out on those string can attenuate,... also a set-up thing.

With piezos, it's about tension, as the mechanical energy transforms into electric energy. 9's or lighter don't give enough tension and 12's are

too much, so 10's and 11's are the best and optimum for these piezos.

Thanks psar..!

To verify my understanding: All the digital models use the piezo pickups in the bridge, the coil pickups are not used.  Stringing the guitar with a set where the high E is .009 or .010 will provide the optimum contact/pressure for the piezos to work properly.

Question: will  the same size strings be the best for my Variax acoustic?

On 1/11/2024 at 4:23 PM, NoCoolUserName said:

.  Stringing the guitar with a set where the high E is .009 or .010 will provide the optimum contact/pressure for the piezos to work properly.

No - he said 10s or 11s are best.