Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

My LT is haunted

boynigel

Joking of course, but i find it amusing that my LT regularly makes mechanical noises, whether it's on or off, and when not in use.  I'd liken them to settling cracks that you hear inside some houses...which is probably kind of what i'm hearing the equivalent of on my LT.  Metal clicking noises, basically. 

This is nothing that keeps me up at night as its performance has been solid for a few years now, but i am curious if anyone else has encountered this.  If not, i'll look into an exorcism.  ;)

On 2/14/2024 at 4:01 AM, boynigel said:

If not, i'll look into an exorcism.

You could try playing the intro to Tubular Bells!

On 2/14/2024 at 4:28 AM, rd2rk said:

Maybe start with a spray bottle of Holy Water?

Water and electricity - Aaarrrrggghhh!

On 2/14/2024 at 1:09 PM, theElevators said:

Umm... maybe something is arcing inside.  Crackling is not good.  I'd be careful.  I know somebody whose house burned down because of a cheap Chinese lamp.  It arced and started a fire. 

thanks, but don't think that's the case here.  It makes these sounds even when it's not hooked up to electricity.  definitely not a electrical "zapping" or arcing kind of noise.  imagine the sound if you were to cut a 3mm length off your low E string, and then drop it on the chassis.  that's about the ballpark of it.

On the serious side, I don't want to frighten you, but...

I once worked for a nationwide rental company transporting consumer electronics, appliances and furniture from customer's homes to the service department.

Hearing the sorts of noises that you described, during transport, in big screen TVs invariably indicated a single cause - cockroaches!

I'm not making this up. I also frequently encountered mice in larger appliances such as washers and dryers.

You don't want to know about the couches and bedding.

Nobody wants to think that they might have vermin problems, but it's more likely than demons...

On 2/14/2024 at 2:11 PM, rd2rk said:

On the serious side, I don't want to frighten you, but...

I once worked for a nationwide rental company transporting consumer electronics, appliances and furniture from customer's homes to the service department.

Hearing the sorts of noises that you described, during transport, in big screen TVs invariably indicated a single cause - cockroaches!

I'm not making this up. I also frequently encountered mice in larger appliances such as washers and dryers.

You don't want to know about the couches and bedding.

Nobody wants to think that they might have vermin problems, but it's more likely than demons...

all good info, but i've had it open a couple times.  once to specifically investigate the noise, and once to to spray contact cleaner on my foot switches.  nothing in there, living or dead...BUT, now that you mention it, I'm in New England and we do see a stray "stink bug" in the house two or three times a week.  Pretty common/harmless, found even in the cleanest of homes, and nothing as sinister as cockroaches.  

That said, maybe the next time i hear the noise, i'll grab my LT and shake it.  Maybe a stink bug is getting in/out via the exp pedal cutouts, and both times i looked, the bug happened to not be in there.Stink Bugs Guide: Can They Fly? Where Do They Come From?

On 2/14/2024 at 1:23 PM, boynigel said:

That said, maybe the next time i hear the noise, i'll grab my LT and shake it.  Maybe a stink bug is getting in/out via the exp pedal cutouts, and both times i looked, the bug happened to not be in there.

That would stink, but better than roaches!

Meanwhile, back at the Vatican...