Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Available effects

drew_tnbd

I have a Strymon Timeline delay and would like to see some of the features of this unit put in the Helix. It has Multi Delay that also ping pongs across the stereo spectrum. This is good for rhythmic patterns and also and for lush pallet for clean chords. Another effect in this unit is a swell. You play a chord and it does an envelope and what you are playing gradually comes in. It is adjustable how fast and long the swell comes in. The Axe FX 2 XL has a multi delay that is to die for also that gives several variation multiple delays happening at one time. It would really be nice to use the Helix and nothing else except expression pedals. It takes me an hour to set up now. I do not have a wired pedalboard.

• 4 months later...

When are they going to come out with the reverse delay for the helix does anyone know if they will have this in an update .. I really miss that effect! And hate how it's not on the helix !!!

With all due respect, it's no use complaining about missing effects if you don't update to the latest firmware or at least read up on what's added.

Reverse delay is in there.

• Upvote 3

Any plans for a pitch shift effect for up or down tunings? One of my bands plays down a half step. This function would make my life so simple.

The Digitech Whammy DT pedal can do it, why not the Helix?

BTW, love my Helix!

the helix sort of does it with the pitch whammy effect set both parameters to -1 to get 1/2 step down. I find it not very accurate when playing 2 or more strings in the higher notes. Some on here swear by it but i use my Drop pedal in loop.

thx for the replies.

• Pitch/Synth > Simple Pitch (Mono, Stereo)
  • Pitch/Synth > Dual Pitch (Mono, Stereo)

didn't know the above (from 1.06) was on the table.

Moderator, can you comment on whether or not this fits the bill  (Any plans for a pitch shift effect for up or down tunings? One of my bands plays down a half step. This function would make my life so simple.)

Agreed. That is basically my idea. I hope everything in it is high enough quality that I never have to drag my amp and pedal board around. At 53 years old I now just play in church, a very rare event out, and I want to do a some recording without spending a small fortune on racks and pedals. I saw Brit Floyd this past Friday. They use AxeFx. I thought how nice it must be not to worry about amps and pedal boards. I hope this does the same for me.

BigRalphN, I hear you... I play lead for one of the large Harrisburg PA area churches. Even though at 57 years of age, I'm in better shape than I was in my 30's and 40's, while I love the sounds I can generate with a Matchless Clubman 35, a Mesa Lonestar Special, and a pedal board with a number of boutique OD, distortion, fuzz, modulation, and delays, carting that much gear around to play multiple services each weekend gets old (LOL!).

The funny thing is, I didn't go down Helix path with the intent of replacing my current analog rig. I was doing some research last fall looking at acquiring either a Firehawk or HD500 to pair with my Variax 700 for an event later this summer in the UK. The Variax would give me both acoustic and electric in a single instrument paired with an easy-transport multi-fx pedal that could also manage switching Variax modes. The early information I saw about the Helix led me to believe that I might possibly be able to use it exclusively into our FOH console for the services I play every weekend without compromising response dynamics, harmonics, and all of those other nuances that are part of the magic of analog gear.

My first use of the Helix was on a Sunday morning the weekend before Christmas. At a rehearsal session earlier in the week, I used my Matchless rig. The Helix arrived later in the week. In short order, I was able to pretty much nail the sounds that I needed for that Sunday. After we did our typical Sunday morning run through, I asked the FOH how my guitar sounded compared to our mid-week rehearsal, to which he replied, "I thought it sounded the pretty much the same; why, did you add something new that I should have noticed?" He was shocked to discover that my guitar was coming exclusively through the Helix, direct into the FOH console.

Since that time (as well as playing for 3 Christmas Eve services), I've exclusively used the Helix with nothing but a Relay G50 digital wireless between my Anderson droptop and the Helix. I like that I can run my acoustic guitars through the Helix, saving me from bringing a separate acoustic pedal board.

I especially LOVE the virtual scribble strips. I run the Helix with presets displayed in the top row and any FX switch assignments in the bottom row. I name my presets by song title, including the key signature. I can order them to follow the flow of our set list for each week. Since so much of what we play is against a click track, I like being able to build a library of these presets (i.e., songs) and retrieve as needed to build a set list for each week (that was one of the things that was a pain about the analog setup I was using with a Crocodile One loop switcher and MIDI talking to a Line 6 M5, Eventide H9, TC Electronic Alter Ego X4, and a Strymon Timeline).

Another thing I love about the assignable foot switches is the means of controlling several different FX attributes with a single switch. For example, a song on this week's setlist needs a low octave pitch, a soaring overdrive, a different delay, and a particle verb. All of those things need to come on simultaneously and several other fx elements need to turn off. It's so nice to be able to program 1 footswitch to toggle between those two states (I also like the fact that I was able to pretty much nail the lead guitar sounds from the original recording).

For another song, I have one DSP signal path set up for a clean amp and the other path for a screaming lead tone using a different amp. It was so easy to setup a single footswitch to toggle between amps. 

I'm looking forward to the impending 1.06 update with the Matchless DC30 amp models and the "Timmy" OD. So far, I've not found it necessary to use anything but the Helix to get me where I need to go tonally. Plus, even though I mounted the Helix in an ATA pedal board, the whole thing fits easily in my convertible (LOL!), something else that I can't do with the 500lbs of analog gear I've been using.  :)

• Upvote 1

(Any plans for a pitch shift effect for up or down tunings? One of my bands plays down a half step. This function would make my life so simple.)

I have to say, you just have to re-tune for best results. Anything I've heard that does this is seriously lacking. I wouldn't want to compromise the awesome sounds of Helix by doing this, myself.

• 1 year later...

Is there an auto-wah in the Helix?

I'm using version 2.20

My Line 6 Amplifi 150 has it and it is an essential effect for my purposes.

Thx.

Yes, it is called the Autofilter, located in the Filter block category. Takes a bit of tweaking.