Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Newbie Variax Question

Because I recently purchased a Helix Rack, I became aware of Variax guitars (never owned one before). Questions: If I were to try a Variax through the Helix specifically to record the Variax "samples" (banjo, sitar etc), would the pickups that come in the JTV models then be rendered useless? Are the pickups only to be used as 'regular" guitar pickups the same as in any other guitar? I have seen used Variax guitars with no pickups which makes more sense to my application. I don't see using the Variax guitar pickups as I am only interested in the sample sounds that Variax has developed. Are the pickups there only for purposes of using a Variax guitar as a regular guitar? 

The magnetics are turned off.

If you try using magnetics in standard tuning and Alt Tune while in

modeling mode, it will sound really bad.

"Are the pickups there only for purposes of using a Variax guitar as a regular guitar?"--- Yes.

It can be played as a normal guitar, and in a passive state (no battery or VDI cable needed) like any other

guitar, if you like.

It's one at a time. Modeling or magnetic, not both simultaneously.

Thank you for replying. I guess my next question is do any of the older models with no picks up have the same technology as the newer guitars? Looks like there are no guitars in the newer lineup, regardless of price, that have no pick ups. If I picked up an older model with no pick ups would I be missing out on newer varied technology i.e.; sounds, sampled guitars, tunings etc. In addition, could older Variax guitars with no pickups be upgraded to newer version specs via software updates? Thx.

..... If I picked up an older model with no pick ups would I be missing out on newer varied technology i.e.; sounds, sampled guitars, tunings etc. In addition, could older Variax guitars with no pickups be upgraded to newer version specs via software updates? Thx.

Yes you would be missing out on the newer HD guitar modeling technology introduced with the JTV guitars at firmware v2.0 (v1.8 for the acoustic models). No the older Variax models with no mag pickups cannot be upgraded to the newer modeling technology.

However, as psarkissian explained there is no drawback for you (that I can see) by using one of the newer mag-pickup-equipped Variax models (JTV or Standard) and simply not using the mag pickups. If you are using the Variax modeling there is no sound from the mag pickups being sent to the Variax output. And, as a benefit, the mag pickups will be there if for any reason in the future you want to use the Variax as a regular guitar.

Yes you would be missing out on the newer HD guitar modeling technology introduced with the JTV guitars at firmware v2.0 (v1.8 for the acoustic models). No the older Variax models with no mag pickups cannot be upgraded to the newer modeling technology.

However, as psarkissian explained there is no drawback for you (that I can see) by using one of the newer mag-pickup-equipped Variax models (JTV or Standard) and simply not using the mag pickups. If you are using the Variax modeling there is no sound from the mag pickups being sent to the Variax output. And, as a benefit, the mag pickups will be there if for any reason in the future you want to use the Variax as a regular guitar.

True but I really have most tones covered - Teles, Strats, Paul's, Gretsch's, Rics etc. which I use thought the Helix. I would use the Variax for those guitar tones I don't have or don't want to mic up. Just don't want to pay for pickups I will probably never use. Thx for your assistance, very helpful.

I guess at this point it comes down to what kind of neck I like - Paul or Strat.

Just don't want to pay for pickups I will probably never use.

Well if it's really a major sticking point for you, then your only other option is to find an older, used Variax model without mag pickups...though it will be a hell of a lot easier to just not use the mags. Nobody's gonna force you to...

I don't want to contradict psarkissian, but what he said is partially correct.

If using the 1/4 output from a JTV it is Models or Magnetics, unless the Model deliberately blends the Magnetic signal in (something you customise in Workbench).

But with your Helix or an HD500 and using a VDI cable (ethercon) you can get the Models and Magetic signals as separate inputs into the FX unit and process these as you want - for example having an Acoustic Model going out of Left and a distorted Electric out of Right with an Expression pedal controlled cross-fade between them.

Demo of this with an HD500:

Another added flexibility of having both the mags and modeling is the capability to use both signals at once or swap between them (with a vdi cable).  I,e, having an acoustic patch that you either blend with the mags or swap over to mags in a distorted chain within Helix via the expression pedal.  My prog band has several tunes where an acoustic guitar emulation is used and then switches to a distorted guitar in the same song.  I use the method described above to handle these songs live.

Also if you want to do harmony parts without using a pitch shifter you can have the model in a harmony mode while having the mags produce the main signal.  Then you just use the expression pedal to raise the volume of the harmony part.  This allows you set up a completely different signal chain to give some "separation" between the two signals.

I own the VAX700 red and JTV59 and JTV89F.  I haven't picked up the VAX700 in quite some time but I was impressed with the newer modeling in the JTV series.  There are certainly members of this forum who prefer the VAX 700 series to the JTVs but I think you would be losing out on the newer modeling capabilities and added benefits of the mags with the original variax series along with no customer support or warranty.