Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

So we have a gig next Saturday and the soundguy...

Rocco_Crocco

What a drag! I agree with most of the statements previously made here. This soundman is a serious dinosaur and like the other members of his species will no doubt soon be rendered obsolete by an extinction level event. In the meantime if the gig pays well enough or is in some other manner worthwhile I would just bite the bullet and concede to his ridiculous requirements. I would not elect to alienate the club owner or lollipop the soundman off enough to sabotage my gig. The other option of course is just to refuse to play there. Other than getting a petition to the owner from many local bands (in which case maybe you all get blackballed) or flooding his facebook and email account with articles on modeling and modern sound engineering practices you may just have to wait for this mule to age out, hybrid mule and triceratops that is (an effort to stick with the dinosaur metaphor ). I have run into some difficult soundmen in my time but most can be a bit more flexible if approached with reason, courtesy, and respect. This guy sounds like an exception and it appears that as long as he is there you may just have to do things 'his way' or come up with a combination of optical illusions and a paper mache amp for him to mic. Perhaps you could randomly loop in old Abba clips periodically and volunteer a direct connection at some point to alleviate the problem. At the very least I would insist in my rider that there be a 75lb box of M&Ms in the green room with all the brown ones removed. Good luck!!

In the off-chance that anyone cares... we played the gig Saturday. The sound man actually had a gig at another venue, and there was a substitute there. He was great. Funny, thorough, and pleasant. He allowed us to go direct without any prodding.

I asked him about the regular sound guy's predilection toward mic'ing everything. He said the guy absolutely preferred mic'ing guitars, but wouldn't go as far as saying he would refuse to go direct with a modeller.

I can't wait to meet this guy. We have another gig at the venue coming up in March, I believe.

• Upvote 1

In the off-chance that anyone cares... we played the gig Saturday. The sound man actually had a gig at another venue, and there was a substitute there. He was great. Funny, thorough, and pleasant. He allowed us to go direct without any prodding.

I asked him about the regular sound guy's predilection toward mic'ing everything. He said the guy absolutely preferred mic'ing guitars, but wouldn't go as far as saying he would refuse to go direct with a modeller.

I can't wait to meet this guy. We have another gig at the venue coming up in March, I believe.

Wheee!  Dodged the bullet there - glad things worked out.  Who knows, maybe soundguy B will tell soundguy A how good it sounded and A won't give you any guff in March...