Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Gain structure for JCM800 seems way off to me...

tenorkeith

I have a question And am curious to know what you guys think. I own a reissue JCM800 and also a clone that I built myself. They both have similar gain structures, but when I use the Helix 2204 model, I find that the helix "drive" knob has to be at about 4 to achieve what my real amps do at 10. Now, mind you, they totally nailed the sound and feel of the amp. And I also am not complaining that I have extra gain on tap, I was just wondering if they were going for total accuracy when modeling the specific characteristics of each amp. If so, I think they missed the mark where gain is concerned. I would love to hear from someone at Line 6 on what they think. Thanks!

Thanks, Guitarzman! That's a very cool thread!

No Problem Keith glad to help! I do believe the 2204 is modeled after the JCM 800 and the 2204 mod has a lot more mids ( a line 6 version) I think either DI or Ben Adrian modded that amp model ! And I see your point about the high gain volumes at 3 or 4 on the 2204 amp model.. 

• 3 years later...

I think it is off too.

And they didn't emulate the bright cap either.

I think it's time for them to redo the old models which they ported form the HD series to the Helix.

I said it on TGP,, they had to nail the Marshall models FIRST, Marshall's are the benchmark for any amp modeler,, and the Helix Marshall's sounding different to other available modelers.

The Trainwreck and Cartographer are amazing though and can do the Marshall sound even better.

EDIT:

I have to be clearer here.

The Helix has infinitely more useful amp models than the JCM800 or Plexi,, but new users will usually go to these amps to benchmark the modeling quality, so they have to be as accurate as possible.

7 hours ago, Ilya-V said:

I think it is off too.

And they didn't emulate the bright cap either.

I think it's time for them to redo the old models which they ported form the HD series to the Helix.

I said it on TGP,, they had to nail the Marshall models FIRST, Marshall's are the benchmark for any amp modeler,, and the Helix Marshall's sounding different to other available modelers.

The Trainwreck and Cartographer are amazing though and can do the Marshall sound even better.

EDIT:

The Helix has infinitely more useful amp models than the JCM800 or Plexi,, but new users will usually go to these amps to benchmark the modeling quality, so they have to be as accurate as possible.

To be clear, they didn’t port any models from the HD to the Helix. They modeled the same amps for the Helix in the beginning, but they didn’t port the HD models into the Helix. Actually, for some of the HD, specifically the ones that were added in the HD model packs, they ported Helix models into the HD.

10 hours ago, Ilya-V said:

EDIT:

I don't think that's really true. Lots of people could care less about marshall sounds. Most of the user's I know went straight for Boogies/5150 or the L6 originals. 

• Upvote 1