Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

The ipad controler....

5thvision

Still I wonder...

I've been working as a professional producer and guitarist for 30 years, and have used line 6 ever since the early days. I like the sound they produce, but...

The line 6 guys are so occupied making 'new stuff', they seem blind to things that really matters. One thing that I simply don't understand, is all this talk about control. I mean, I'm one of the biggest control freaks in town, but what is the point of just "having" control options, when one dos'nt think about "where" to have them. With this in mind, I hope line 6 some day sees the potential in using a great invention called the 'IPad'. With this amazing touch screen controller, one could easily Imagine the bennefits of having all your pedals at your finger tips, just beside you or wherever you like. Just like having your pedalboard right there when you need it. I think most of us now know how uncool, enoing or straight up unprofefessional it is to turn your back on the audiens(if racked) to tweek and tweek, or kneeling down over the floorboard...over and over.

It's not that difficult any more, and with just a teeny weeny out of the box mindset, one could easily look futher beoynd.

We are in the 21 century.

Still I wonder...

I've been working as a professional producer and guitarist for 30 years, and have used line 6 ever since the early days. I like the sound they produce, but...

The line 6 guys are so occupied making 'new stuff', they seem blind to things that really matters. One thing that I simply don't understand, is all this talk about control. I mean, I'm one of the biggest control freaks in town, but what is the point of just "having" control options, when one dos'nt think about "where" to have them. With this in mind, I hope line 6 some day sees the potential in using a great invention called the 'IPad'. With this amazing touch screen controller, one could easily Imagine the bennefits of having all your pedals at your finger tips, just beside you or wherever you like. Just like having your pedalboard right there when you need it. I think most of us now know how uncool, enoing or straight up unprofefessional it is to turn your back on the audiens(if racked) to tweek and tweek, or kneeling down over the floorboard...over and over.

It's not that difficult any more, and with just a teeny weeny out of the box mindset, one could easily look futher beoynd.

We are in the 21 century.

If you're talking about having an iPad editor, I would say that's not out of the question...

Beyond that, you could currently control basically whatever ever you want on the Helix with an iPad via a MIDI control. The Helix is a class compliant MIDI over USB device, so it will work with whatever MIDI apps you want to use with it.

I guess the thing is, though, that using your hands to control stuff on an iPad while playing guitar is really not all that easy. I've used the iPad app for the Behringer X32 system to control my mix for my IEM, and it is kind of a pain in the butt. Using your feet or the tone and volume knobs on the Variax is much, much easier than trying to hit things on the iPad.

@phil — so true. If you need knob or fader controls, I've found the tangible feedback of a MIDI controller with real faders and knobs is much better during live performance than using an iPad running MIDI control apps. I can grab a physical control and tweak it quickly while playing; with an iPad, you have to keep your eyes on where your finger is. Big difference. If you really need to control your Helix with knobs and faders while you're performing (and don't want to bend over like a plumber), a small inexpensive MIDI controller (Korg, Akai, Behringer, Novation, etc) can be mounted on a mic stand and cabled to the Helix.

Amplifi has Bluetooth editor controls. The real question is, does helix have a blue tooth inside? Anyone Tear one open yet ?

The Helix doesn't have a Bluetooth transmitter/receiver built in. The amount of raw data in a Helix preset is like 10 times as much as an AMPLIFi preset, so it would make any sort of BT syncing painfully slow.

• Upvote 1

Many different people, many different opinions. 

And yes, the reason why I love playing wireless, and ONLY wireless, is the freedom. And this is also my point here: The more buttons you have to push in order to do a simple task(at a job), the more it interrupts your performance. I've been playing with tons of pedals since 1975, and the last 10 with iPads to accompany me on stage. Tweaking while playing is not always the best solution, but the point is that when you DO have to...or in-between songs, its just SO much easier when your boxes are right there. 

I agree that hardware controllers are more intuitive(I also work as a producer, professional for 20 years now, so I know the differens), but making a piece of hardware that could cover all the options in Helix.... not an option. The big advantage with Ipad (pro), though it is two-dimensional, is the ability to mimic pedals and knobs....hundrets of them. And made the intelligent way, a chorus level could be just a finger on button, sliding down a bit.

My point is that in the lack of useable solutions, the iPad is like sendt from heaven. And NOT wireless. To many things can go wrong in a live situation with a dusin of wireless hardware around. 

• 1 year later...
7 minutes ago, jkuche said:

Hello, Line 6- Any progress towards running Helix Edit on Android or iOS?  Would a virtual workaround be possible?

Would really like to have this option.

Thanks, 

Jay

Idea Scale is the place for requests... we're all users here. "Official" L6 folks seldom make an appearance. 

Make sure that you have the latest iPad version for whatever you ask for- I.E. My iPad-2 worked great on the FH-1500 and then Line6 upgraded the software to only work on a much newer iPad. The same program looks wise,  and no way to reverse and undo it that I know of now.