Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

non-line6 guitar with a neck profile like a jtv-59?

its not that i don't love my 59, its that i think i'm loving it to death -- i practice a couple hours/day, plus playing a few times/week, and with the nasty finger vibrato i have(which i won't give up), i know i'm wearing the crap out of my frets -- would love to have a second guitar with a similar neck to the 59, doesn't matter what it sounds like, just for practice -- i actually made templates of the neck and "fattened" the neck on a cheap epiphone special using bondo, came out ok, actually improved the sound of the epi, but the guitar has the wrong feel to be a 59 clone

if anyone has any suggestions, other than changing my technique, would be appreciated -- i keep a search going on ebay for a non-functioning, damaged, or stripped 59, but if anything, seems to be less out there than last year(my 59 was a blem from gc for 800, i now feel lucky to have gotten it at that price)

yeah, i've done refrets on my guitars, even have a stewart mac fretbender, and eventually that will happen, but i'm trying to catch the wear before it happens, delay the refret job -- instead of wearing  the crap out of my baby, figure i'd beat up a less valuable(to me) guitar, save the 59 for playing, recording -- just using the practice guitar for my core practice, scales, exercises, etc., often not even plugged in.

and i admit to a "bad" perpendicular finger vibrato, a shaking if you will, that i refuse to give up in my lead playing -- i've seen what that can do to a guitar in just a few months, its like filing the frets down

its not that i don't love my 59, its that i think i'm loving it to death -- i practice a couple hours/day, plus playing a few times/week, and with the nasty finger vibrato i have(which i won't give up), i know i'm wearing the crap out of my frets -- would love to have a second guitar with a similar neck to the 59, doesn't matter what it sounds like, just for practice -- i actually made templates of the neck and "fattened" the neck on a cheap epiphone special using bondo, came out ok, actually improved the sound of the epi, but the guitar has the wrong feel to be a 59 clone

if anyone has any suggestions, other than changing my technique, would be appreciated -- i keep a search going on ebay for a non-functioning, damaged, or stripped 59, but if anything, seems to be less out there than last year(my 59 was a blem from gc for 800, i now feel lucky to have gotten it at that price)

Have it re-fretted with stainless frets and it will last for years on end without need of fretwork...not quite forever, but FAAAAAAAAAAAR longer than nickel- silver frets. Slowly converting all my guitars. Bending is effortless on stainless frets. Feels like glass. Wish I had done it years ago. Do it now, thank me later...

• Upvote 2

that could be the way to go -- don't think i'd want to do it myself, i hear the finishing is tedious -- probably be close to what i paid for the guitar, but worth it

Yes, you can expect it to cost a bit more than a re-fret with traditional fret wire, but it shouldn't equal the cost of the guitar. Unless you stole it, lol. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Have it re-fretted with stainless frets and it will last for years on end without need of fretwork...not quite forever, but FAAAAAAAAAAAR longer than nickel- silver frets. Slowly converting all my guitars. Bending is effortless on stainless frets. Feels like glass. Wish I had done it years ago. Do it now, thank me later...

Amen - I have a MTJ that has stainless frets and I absolutly love them. If I'll ever have to refret my JTV 69 I'll put on stainless steel frets for sure.