Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Native crashes Logic Pro x

drewster77123

Sounds like something wrong with the AU plug-in authorization.

If you go into Logic's Preferences>Plug-In Manager does Helix Native appear to be "successfully validated"?

While Native shouldn't need to "phone home" if you've already authorized it, you might want to make sure you have a good internet connection and see if that makes a difference. Turn off any network monitors or firewalls.

Some have had success by reinstalling the plug-in, then reauthorizing. Many have had similar issues, but I haven't read of a simple fix that works for everyone.

These sorts of problems are aggravating. I wish Line 6 would address them. Have you filed a support ticket with them? If they get enough complaints maybe there will be results.

After the plug-in is validated (according to Logic) it should run without problems even with no internet connection, so I'm not sure what's wrong. I've been running Helix Native on Mac OS 10.12.X for quite awhile with no issues, so am not able to replicate what you're seeing. Sorry....

yes I have filed a support ticket, their response Seems like a big pain in the lollipop. 

"Hi, I'm sorry about the trouble with your Helix Native. Below are files paths for a number a files that need to be deleted in order to get your Native up and running again. Please remove them all, and then perform a reinstall of the latest version of Native. Plug-in Binaries, please remove these files. /Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins/Line 6/Helix Native.aaxplugin /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/Helix Native.component /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/Line 6/Helix Native.vst /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST3/Line 6/Helix Native.vst3 Resources. You’ll see a data and res folder; just delete the Helix Native folder for a clean slate. /Library/Application Support/Line 6/Helix Native/ User Data This folder contains the user data for Helix Native. This includes the Preset and Impulse Response libraries, local license file (Purchases.dat), user preferences (Helix Native.prefs), and various logs. WARNING as of this writing, it isn’t necessary to delete the PRESET_LIBRARY and IR_LIBRARY folders when uninstalling. Before deleting these folders, be sure to make a backup! Remove the .dat and .pref files. ~/Library/Application Support/Line 6/Helix Native/ *Note this ~/Library is your user library and is hidden by default. You need to hold Command/Shift/and Period to access. Once all these files are removed, re install Native from a new download of the latest version. https://line6.com/software/ Please let me know your results. Thanks, Line 6 Support"

• Sad 1

hey guys, this problem is directly related to your wifi network...   it crashes anytime there is not a valid connection.   I've got a few tickets going on about it.  They say that it should not happen once it has been authorized - not exactly!  I'm running a few more tests tonight and i will relay my experience.

Gsharp9

the problem is with Helix Native.  it happens in external plugin hosts, it happens in Logic, it happens in reaper.  This is not a mac problem.  tried on multiple platforms....  same outcome.

this need to be fixed immediately.   For now i have a $400.00 coaster that can't be used in any live setting.... or at all

G

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, me too.

Soo disappointed with the Line 6 Helix Native Trial.  When are they going to fix this?

I have just had to uninstall the Helix native plugin

It does not perform reliably on my system, it just hangs with the Catherine wheel of death when I try to open it.

My System is a 2018 Macbook Pro 2.9Ghz i9 core, 32Gb of 2400Mhz DDR4, Running Logic Pro X 10.4.4

Using an Hx Stomp v2.71.0 as an interface.

And YES my internet connection is fine.

Obviously not going to buy this  until its fixed.

Edited by elmorejames
Format and extra info

I'm having the same issue. After installing and thoroughly enjoying Native for a few days, the above-described issue happens. I've tried deleting the plugin binaries then reinstalling, the terminal command as described per the service ticket I started on this topic with Line 6 as well as the reset and rescan within Logic. None of these "solutions" make Native do anything other than cause the spinning wheel until I force quit Logic. I'm baffled as to how Line 6 hasn't come up with a solution to this yet.

I'm baffled too. Maybe the copy protection Line 6 has created for Helix Native is causing the problem? I don't know.

Native is working fine for lots of Logic users, but others are routed through the gates of Hades. I'm sure you've probably tried to troubleshoot a bunch of stuff, but you can try eliminating as many other variables as possible so you're just dealing with Logic Pro X (with a fresh project) and Helix Native. No audio interface or other plug-ins or previous projects. And delete Logic preference file(s).

Apple provides step by step processes here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200260

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201199

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Shmeeuc said:

I'm having the same issue. After installing and thoroughly enjoying Native for a few days, the above-described issue happens. I've tried deleting the plugin binaries then reinstalling, the terminal command as described per the service ticket I started on this topic with Line 6 as well as the reset and rescan within Logic. None of these "solutions" make Native do anything other than cause the spinning wheel until I force quit Logic. I'm baffled as to how Line 6 hasn't come up with a solution to this yet.

Same here. I am really puzzled. I started Logic in my guest account on my mac and the screen for logging in to Helix came up, so that's a thing.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2019 at 9:57 AM, soundog said:

I'm baffled too. Maybe the copy protection Line 6 has created for Helix Native is causing the problem? I don't know.

Native is working fine for lots of Logic users, but others are routed through the gates of Hades. I'm sure you've probably tried to troubleshoot a bunch of stuff, but you can try eliminating as many other variables as possible so you're just dealing with Logic Pro X (with a fresh project) and Helix Native. No audio interface or other plug-ins or previous projects. And delete Logic preference file(s).

Apple provides step by step processes here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200260

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201199

Thanks for your feedback, soundog! I tried a few of the tricks from the links you sent such as reseting preferences, dragging Logic to the trash then reinstalling. The one thing that did work is logging out and signing in as a guest on my computer. I'm glad this worked and I'm not sure how it correlates to a solution when not signed in as a guest. Thanks again for the links on the Apple side of this puzzle!

Also, thanks rbrown1973 for your feedback that you success with this route as well!

• 1 month later...

this is completely absurd....  SERIOUSLY !!!   The problem most of the time is that Logic is looking for wifi (phoning home) for some reason.   even if it plays nice with Logic, if you turn off wifi and open the plugin, you are doomed.  This is on Line 6 - NOT APPLE.

THEN .... yesterday i get this absolutely stupid response from line 6 support, and i quote....

I agree with you that this is something that should be resolved. I would like to help you further, but unfortunately I don't have a solution for you right now.
You may need to wait for the next update to become available. This is an issue that I've seen with other Mac users, and right now we don't have a fix available.

DUBFOUNDED!    really????   This is the response???

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem.  Brand-new Helix user, just got my license yesterday, and now it does not work.  Spinning beach ball and crashing Ableton Live every time.  It worked just fine for a few days during the trial.  This is incredibly frustrating -- I have a project that I need this for today and tomorrow.

I assume the answer is "no," but is anyone aware of a solution to this?  I have tried deleting files as recommended to other users mentioned above (and in other threads), but that has not worked for me.

8 hours ago, rbrown1973 said:

What worked for me was to create a new user account on my Mac. Then open logic and everything worked. 

I just tried this, but then I was prompted to re-authorize Ableton Live, and reauthorize my other plugins, and it's frankly too much to do for a non-permanent solution.  Won't I have to do the same thing every time I log in as a Guest?

I also tried the instructions sent to me today by Line 6 and they didn't work, either.  Quite frustrating for a $400 piece of software (or any software at all, really)!

On 6/12/2019 at 11:11 PM, hamiltonj2 said:

I just tried this, but then I was prompted to re-authorize Ableton Live, and reauthorize my other plugins, and it's frankly too much to do for a non-permanent solution.  Won't I have to do the same thing every time I log in as a Guest?

I also tried the instructions sent to me today by Line 6 and they didn't work, either.  Quite frustrating for a $400 piece of software (or any software at all, really)!

Hi hamiltonj2,

I don’t understand why, if you had a fully functional Helix Native running in demo mode, it stopped working and developed the “spinning beach ball of doom”, for no apparent reason. Something must have got screwed, because when you paid for the full version it should have been simply a question of registering the demo to unlock the full version. The only issue that I encountered was when I paid for the full version it still continued to show “demo mode” until the 15 days trial period passed. Then it worked as normal and thankfully no crashes.

I really do understand your frustration, but a bit more info may help to narrow this down. It would help greatly to know what computer platform hardware, OS and version of Ableton Live you have. Do you have any anti-virus or firewall active that may have interfered with the on-Line registration verification process?

Regards

The same thing happened to me. When I pursued line 6, they eventually “did something on their end”, to quote customer service, and it worked again. It’s not anti virus, it’s something to do with the hand shaking on startup. I tried other DAWs as well. The only solution was a new user account. 

Datacommando, I didn’t create a guest account, I created a new user account and just used it for music until they fixed the problem. If reauthorizing your stuff is

all you have to with a project deadline, I think it’s a small price to pay. (I don’t mean to diminish your frustration, I had it too)

there is no fix that truly fixes this problem.   It's bizarre to me that Line 6 has not handled this.

I have even worked with Apple on this glitch...   it's all in Helix.  They should have created a different way to verify the product from day one.  It is poorly designed on that front.

there are ways to use it and keep it from crashing, but it limits full functionality if you are not connected to wifi.

i finally, after MONTHS of trying just went to a full floor model and completely took it off all my systems.

Same problem here.

Running Mojave on a 2015 MBP 13" Retina and Mac Mini 2018.

I have been drooling over the Helix floor board for weeks now. Reading reviews and forums only to find opinions praising the sound and others saying it still sounds digital and fizzy like most modelers are plagued with. 

I currently use Amplitube 4. S-Gear, Bias FX 2 and some POD farm stuff. (Oh, also have an ancient Digitech GNX 4 not seeing much use these days)

That being said, I was a former tube snob for over a decade.

Anyway, I decided to download the Helix Native 15 day free trial to decide for my self with my own gear and playing style to see if the Helix is as good as I was hoping it was.

Day 1)

Installed Trial and loaded it yup into Logic Pro X and Mainstage through a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 and KRK 100 W monitors (My normal "desktop" gear) and started trying out some of the factory patches and get a feel for the gui.

After playing well into the night and still had not found anything that blew me away and wanting to drop $1600 + tax called it a night.

Day 2)

Spinning Wheel in both Logic and Mainstage.

Came to the Forums here, tried all of the suggestions and the ONLY one that worked was logging into a new guest account. This is BS that this has been going on as long as it has and gives me concern about the quality of coding and support at Line 6 in general.

I still have not found any patches (Factory anyway + some Ownhammer IR's I have) that are compelling me to pull the trigger on the Helix hardware at any price point but I need to dig much deeper than I have so far.

The most authentic to me is still S-Gear and not by any small margin. The sound and playing dynamics are just more accurate in my opinion.

This locking up is apparently tied to the authentication system somehow reading this thread.

Another fine example of the "Pirates" are having fun playing while the paying customers are left paying the price of a broken copy protection scheme.

RiffRaff

• 1 month later...

Downloaded the trial version (1.81 Mac OS), which states that it's compatible with 10.10.5 and up. It's working fine on all my DAWs... until I switch internet off. Of course, we all know what happens next... Unable to open existing instantiations of the plugin, or add new. All DAWs, though, see the plugin as validated... so... I suspect that the plugin is continually doing a call-out, and when that fails it fails. Turn on the internet, and guess what... Helix Native all of a sudden works! Turn wifi off, and guess what... 

6 minutes ago, absde said:

Downloaded the trial version (1.81 Mac OS), which states that it's compatible with 10.10.5 and up. It's working fine on all my DAWs... until I switch internet off. Of course, we all know what happens next... Unable to open existing instantiations of the plugin, or add new. All DAWs, though, see the plugin as validated... so... I suspect that the plugin is continually doing a call-out, and when that fails it fails. Turn on the internet, and guess what... Helix Native all of a sudden works! Turn wifi off, and guess what... 

The trial version requires an active internet connection.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2019 at 6:58 PM, phil_m said:

The trial version requires an active internet connection.

Got a reply from Line 6. " Humbert, I'm sorry you ran into a connection issue with HELIX Native. Helix Native requires an internet connection to initially authorize the license BOTH FOR THE DEMO AND FULL VERSIONS. Once the license has been authorized, YOU NO LONGER NEED AN INTERNET CONNECTION TO USE THE SOFTWARE. But, because of how the authorization works, YOU DO NEED AN NIC (NETWORK INTERFACE CONTROLLER) ENABLED. Do not disable your network card (wireless or LAN) when running Helix Native. If you want run without an internet connection, just unplug your LAN cable or disconnect from your WiFi network. Kind regards, Jason-Line 6 Support".  Essentially I have to keep my wifi card on but not necessarily be connected to the internet. Weird and disconcerting I would say. Kinda reminds me of the way Magix Samplitude works if you purchase a download copy.

On 8/17/2019 at 3:58 PM, absde said:

Got a reply from Line 6. " Humbert, I'm sorry you ran into a connection issue with HELIX Native. Helix Native requires an internet connection to initially authorize the license BOTH FOR THE DEMO AND FULL VERSIONS. Once the license has been authorized, YOU NO LONGER NEED AN INTERNET CONNECTION TO USE THE SOFTWARE. But, because of how the authorization works, YOU DO NEED AN NIC (NETWORK INTERFACE CONTROLLER) ENABLED. Do not disable your network card (wireless or LAN) when running Helix Native. If you want run without an internet connection, just unplug your LAN cable or disconnect from your WiFi network. Kind regards, Jason-Line 6 Support".  Essentially I have to keep my wifi card on but not necessarily be connected to the internet. Weird and disconcerting I would say. Kinda reminds me of the way Magix Samplitude works if you purchase a download copy.

Unfortunately, the procedure outlined above did not work. Instead of crashing, though, calling up Line 6 Native caused my DAWs to stall and exhibit the pinwheel of death for 30 min without change. Force quitting was the only way out. BTW, I am using a 2014 Macbook Pro 11.1 with Yosemite 10.10.5.

This verification system for this software is the dumbest thing ever. Regardless of what anybody tells you it does not work as they say it will. This cannot be an actual usable product until they change this idiotic verification process