Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Song With Hd500

bsheen

I thought I'd share this comp. I did with the 500.  The guitar part is short in comparison to the song length, so you might have to sit through a bit, but hopefully the song itself.  The 500 was used for the bass and guitar parts, all recorded direct via spdif at 48/24.

I'll post the guitar patches in the custom tone.

https://soundcloud.com/bsheen/the-odyssey

If you haven't already checked this one out, the 500 was used on this one as well.

https://soundcloud.com/bsheen/olympia

• Upvote 3

Yes liked Olympia a lot.

Thought you did a nice job capturing the different pacing of the three legs of a triathlon in the first song as well. Kind of reminded me of how well the John Tesh Tour de France music done. I found myself drifting back to my own swim, bike, run days.

Nice tones too.

If I didn't know better, I'd swear Olympia is a song I've never heard before...by Joe Satriani. That may or may not be a compliment depending if that was what you were trying to do, but I definitely like the song and to my ears it is exceptionally well done. Great guitar tone as well.

I also liked The Odyssey. I don't bike or swim, but I run five to seven miles daily and I couldn't quite picture the third part attached to the theme of running. It seems a little too meditative and calming, especially at the beginning. That might work later in that part though, when you reach the part of a run where you feel as if you have endless amounts of energy and could keep going and going and going, your senses and mind open up to higher degree of clarity. The beginning of the third part should express a little more uncertainty and struggle.

I really liked how the first section built up.  Adding one more instrument (or instrument section) per "motif" and tastefully done.  Have you taken any composition courses or are you just naturally this talented?  (I would be so jealous if that were the case).  My one criticism (and this is totally about my personal taste) is it was a bit long.  Overall, very impressive.

If I didn't know better, I'd swear Olympia is a song I've never heard before...by Joe Satriani. That may or may not be a compliment depending if that was what you were trying to do, but I definitely like the song and to my ears it is exceptionally well done. Great guitar tone as well.

I also liked The Odyssey. I don't bike or swim, but I run five to seven miles daily and I couldn't quite picture the third part attached to the theme of running. It seems a little too meditative and calming, especially at the beginning. That might work later in that part though, when you reach the part of a run where you feel as if you have endless amounts of energy and could keep going and going and going, your senses and mind open up to higher degree of clarity. The beginning of the third part should express a little more uncertainty and struggle.

I'll absolutely take it as a compliment, especially when its mentioned in the same sentence as him.  He's been the biggest influence on my playing.  So I'm ok with it.

I see your point of the meditative analogy and point of being a struggle, because it was for sure.  I was more going for the "holy crap" I am tired from swimming 2.4 miles, then biking 112 miles, NOW I have to run 26.2 miles... hence my attempt at giving the last portion of the song a repetitive theme followed by the build up to the finish. 

I really liked how the first section built up.  Adding one more instrument (or instrument section) per "motif" and tastefully done.  Have you taken any composition courses or are you just naturally this talented?  (I would be so jealous if that were the case).  My one criticism (and this is totally about my personal taste) is it was a bit long.  Overall, very impressive.

Thanks brue58ski,

Unfortunately I haven't taken any courses, I just do what my ears say to.  For some reason I tend to gravitate to writing longer songs, however this one actually had a purpose in that it had to reflect the 15 hour day it took me to swim, bike, run a 140.6 miles.

I see your point of the meditative analogy and point of being a struggle, because it was for sure.  I was more going for the "holy crap" I am tired from swimming 2.4 miles, then biking 112 miles, NOW I have to run 26.2 miles... hence my attempt at giving the last portion of the song a repetitive theme followed by the build up to the finish. 

Ahh. It makes a more sense now. I was thinking of each part as separate, but when the last part is taken in context with the other two, well, I don't really know how that would make a person feel. Some sort of meditative state? Like your song? Yea, it could be. Yikes! Just thinking about that... You must have one hell of a mental toughness to you.

Top of the line production and playing!I know you used the Pod for guitar and bass but what did you use for mixing if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks!  I use Sonar X3 now.  Olympia was Sonar 8.5.  I mainly use Sennheiser HD280 headphones and KRK ST6 near field monitors.  For the mastering I use a pair of high end towers I designed and built several years ago.  Interface is a Focusrite Saphire Pro 40.  To be honest though my office/studio is right below our bedroom so a majority is done with headphones.  The monitors I use more as secondary reference to make sure I'm on the right path.