Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd500 Continuously Shows "update Flash"

ksturg

Loaded Line Monkey, HD Edit, drivers, etc. on the computer.  Updated the flash to 2.20.  Performed the global reset as per the knowledge base posting.  Display continues to show "update flash".

Rolled the flash back 2.02, and then up to 2.20 again (along w/ attempting global reset each time).  It does display "updating flash" as Line Monkey does it's thing.  LIne Monkey and HD Edit appear to recognize the HD500 (see image) but it's timing out. Powering up with the direction key down or to the right has no affect either.

Any tips/solutions would be appreciated.

Tks,

Ken

post-1630652-0-22668000-1388731861_thumb.jpg

Update: not sure how this would affect it, but guitar cable out (of HD500) = constant "update flash" message.  Guitar cable plugged in = normal display screen (with visual of effects/amp).  Reset power and holding nav pad up/down/right still does nothing.  HD Edit connects and sends edits to 500, though the little asterisk (not saved icon) still shows on the 500.  No functionality with any controls on the board except: Drive thru Master and the Expression Pedal. Occasionally, the display will sometimes switch rapidly and get stuck on bank selection.

Will be contacting customer support Monday.  Hate to think my board has failed after only 16 mos. of light use.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

the op's thumbnail shows no new updates available and version 2.2 as newest and installed and this is an old post. the help and info box shows this item up to date. the only error i see is regarding transferring tones. am i missing something? the only thing i can deduce is flash memory is blued out and the op mistakenly took that for meaning it needed updating.

It reliably works when a bad tone is the issue...

there could be other reasons why it would exhibit this behavior.

ok, so the well known "re-power-while-holding-down-the-left-nav-key" proc ocasonally does not solve the "continuous-re-boot/power-cycling-state" situation?

Sorry, I know it's not my topic and I should create the new but looks like moderators didn't approved it when I submitted a new topic and I have no ability to tell about this.

I have the same problem with continious reboot loop. Standard methods is not worked for me. Problem was appeared after my PSU is overvoltaged my HD500 (approx. 13V-17V instead 9V) and then PSU died. Currently there were two burned resistors, two dead capacitors and one dead quartz. After replacement power circuit is OK, all testpoints on PCB is OK, all power pulsations is OK (digital oscilloscope monitored) but I still have continous reboot.

PCB has LPC2220 onboard and thereis a 14-pin JTAG. Data is going in boot-time but symbols is not readable. I think there is corrupted firmware in 39VF6401B or corrupted EEPROM in 24LC256 and I dumped both chips with chip programmer but I don't know how to unpack this images (or build filesystem and mount?) On the other way firmwares in "Download" section is ~790kb size when 39VF6401B is ~8Mb and 24LC256 is ~256Kb memory size.

Can anyone help me? I need to know how can I get correct data from JTAG and maybe someone has correct dumps for this chips?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my English I'm a student and living in the other country and still learning. And sorry twice if I'm wasting your time but there is no Line 6 service centers in my country so looks like I need to repair it by myself with (or without) your help. Thanks again.

just to be clear... 2 different things being talked about here... "update flash" is different than the line6 logo reboot i was referring to...

I do not have specific examples of anything other than a bad tone causing the issue... 

but it could also be caused by corruption in the global settings, firmware, or hardware faults.

in the instance of "update flash" I've found that installing and updating from a different computer has helped me a couple of times.

might have to do with security software/firewall, or even malware disrupting the communication during the flash...

• 7 months later...

My HD500 has just started playing up. My edit software stopped communicating with the HD500, saying the HD500 needed to be version 1.30 or above (strange as its hardware). When I have attempted to update all software related to HD500 through Line 6 Monkey my HD500 unit just says "Update Flash". Have tried over and over (reboots/different flash versions/reboot HD500 unit holding down the different cursors on the unit etc..), but I simply get a timed out message when trying to update any flash software to the HD500 unit.

Is my HD500 now useless? I have spent 4 consecutive nights trying to fix it and looked up all manner of tips, but still it is unresponsive.

• 2 weeks later...

Same problem here...

an update to the latest firmware failed wirh connection error. After that the POD got the Power/reboot cycling issue...
Holding the right nav and powering up let me install the FW from a downloaded file.
The latest FW is on the POD, but now the "update-falsh" issue is present...

On monday i try it from an other PC ....

OK, i fixed the problem and maybe it is useful for someone...

After reading that many people facing problems with groundloops, i discovered that my Notebook-power supply causing the issues. 
I disconnected the Notebook power supply and holding down the nav rigth on powering up the POD.

With Line6monkey i done a normal FW  update and it worked.
After powercycling the POD there "sons of Plexi" coming up in LCD.

Maybe it is helpful to place the POD on a electrical non-conducting surface and pull everything from the POD but the USB.
If your PC/Notebook is the problem it can also be helpful to pull at least all additional USB-Connections and in case of using a Notebook to pull the power-supply.

Now i`m going to test the new firmware... :-)

Greats from germany

• 4 months later...

I have same exact problem, I bought my unit new when they first came out and it has been barely used since then, I can usually get passed the update flash error if I plug in a guitar cord but it still acts flaky and then does same exact thing next time I plug power in. I can see that firmware is updated to latest version and I tried rolling back firmware and then reinstalling latest firmware on my mac instead of PC windows 10 PC with a different USB cable with no change in update firmware error. I have never had a product that cost $500 new fail in this way. 

unplug everything.... restart computer and plug the usb that goes to the pod into a different port.... plug the power and usb back into the pod and flash again.

still can not solve the problem. if i power up the POD HD500 without guitar in jack plug in it shows "UPDATE FLASH". but if i plug in the guitar jack is shows my last patch but footswitch button doesn't work. i can't switch my patch or hold for tunner. all buttons don't work except the drive, bass , mid , treble and volume button. 

unplug everything.... restart computer and plug the usb that goes to the pod into a different port.... plug the power and usb back into the pod and flash again.

I guess you didn't read my post, I used a totally different Computer and OS/ from Windows 10 to Mac OS X with and a different usb cable and still same error after rolling back firmware and then updating back to latest.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is the solution for all of you who have problems with no sound anymore and only in the screen the text Update Flash. 

1: Uninstalled everything Line 6 related from your computer

2: Reinstalled everything, manually by downloading direct from the Line6 site

3: Downloaded the current flash update from the website directly to your computer

4: Open Monkey and instead of letting Monkey do the install as it usually would, there's the option to "Install from file" button. Click on it. Now the downloaded file comes from your own computer instead of installing directly through Monkey and the L6 server.

5: Follow the instructions, and your POD will be operational again. 

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

Sorry guys... I m having the problem and nothing seems to fix it... Is there someone that knows exactly what is the cause...? I m starting to worry because I really need my Hd 500, but I need to know that is a reliable device... I see posts from years ago... Why line 6 hasn't discovered the cause yet...?

Well Dude, there "may" not be one cause. It could your power supply, corrupt memory, bad memory etc. These are some fairly complicated electronics and that means more things can go wrong but all in all they are pretty solid.

Have you tried a safe mode reflash? Try it keeping your patches (if you haven't backed them up), if it fails try again but choose to overwrite all in case a bad patch is causing the problem.

Its been a while since I had to do this so it should be the down arrow key. :)

Power on while holding down the down arrow key -> safe mode reflash

Power on and Right arrow = Test mode and Safe mode. You should be able to test things and safe mode reflash here too.

Power on and Left arrow = global reset - one to try first.

I hope I got those arrows correct.

-B

Well Dude, there "may" not be one cause. It could your power supply, corrupt memory, bad memory etc. These are some fairly complicated electronics and that means more things can go wrong but all in all they are pretty solid.

Have you tried a safe mode reflash? Try it keeping your patches (if you haven't backed them up), if it fails try again but choose to overwrite all in case a bad patch is causing the problem.

Power on and Right arrow = Test mode and Safe mode. You should be able to test things and safe mode reflash here too.

-B

Looks like you got them right. :) With one exception. Right arrow is just a test mode, no safe mode in there, although one of the menu entries is "flash", or something like that. As far as I can tell, that entry just does some sort of internal check on the memory where the firmware is placed.

-B

Thanks! Should I do this after reinstalling the flash memory...?

Hey! You should try the safe mode reflash first. Download the flash file to your pc first and choose the "flash from file" option.

Trying a different power supply would be one of the last resorts unless you happen to already have a spare.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to hijack and old thread, but my pod hd500x has started boot looping on the line6 screen. I can get to the update flash screen with the appropriate method, but my laptop doesn't recognize my pod at all. Upon taking it apart, I've discovered that the 24lc256 microchip has fallen out, but I don't know where it goes.. Is this something I can fix on my own? Thanks so much for any help at all (I really need this to work again :/)

Just to tell you the end of my story (my HD 500 was continously showing "update flash") I had to replace the main board and here in Italy it costs 160 euro. Now my pod is back and it works... I have to say that I'm a little bit pissed off beacuse the guys from the support could not tell me what the problem was, why did that happened and how to prevent it... Also the told me that in case like these if you reinstall the flash memory and the pod is still not working there is nothing left to do... you have to replace some components... in my case this wasn't so cheap!
So if this happens it seems to be always an hardware problem... even if I found a lot of people tlaking about software...

.... Upon taking it apart, I've discovered that the 24lc256 microchip has fallen out, but I don't know where it goes.. Is this something I can fix on my own? .....

I would take/send it to an authorized service center. You may be really comfortable and confident working with electronics and soldering but without the actual schematics of how the microchip is to be connected (proprietary information you're not likely to get) you could make things worse and potentially destroy other components. It's certainly not something I would tackle but then again I'm not comfortable with soldering electronics to begin with.

• 1 month later...