Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Mapping all parameters to snapshots quickly?

tjbassoon

Let's say I have a pedalboard layout designed, and I basically want to be able to freely adjust anything and everything through different snapshots. Basically so that I can switch to Snapshot 2 (or whatever) and change knob positions for half a dozen different knobs and effects and have them stick in that snapshot. I know how to do this, but it seems tedious to have to set the controller for every parameter to snapshots manually. Is there a way to just turn that feature ON for everything in a preset?

10 minutes ago, tjbassoon said:

Let's say I have a pedalboard layout designed, and I basically want to be able to freely adjust anything and everything through different snapshots. Basically so that I can switch to Snapshot 2 (or whatever) and change knob positions for half a dozen different knobs and effects and have them stick in that snapshot. I know how to do this, but it seems tedious to have to set the controller for every parameter to snapshots manually. Is there a way to just turn that feature ON for everything in a preset?

No, because there's a limit (64, I believe) to the total number of parameters that can be assigned to snapshots in a given patch... and you wouldn't need an overly complicated patch before you accumulate more than 64 adjustable parameters. 

2 minutes ago, themetallikid said:

If I'm not mistaken, and I very well might be.....I think if you save a block as a 'favorite' it saves the controller assigns?  No?

It does not... It saves the footswitch assignment, that’s it.

6 minutes ago, phil_m said:

It does not... It saves the footswitch assignment, that’s it.

Is the Exp Pedal considered a 'footswitch' and not a 'controller'?  Only asking, I'm going off memory, but I have my fave wah and I'm pretty sure it assigns pops up with the bypass (auto engage settings) as Exp 2.  I know the sweep of the wah auto assigns when you add a block, but the bypass part doesnt....I'd have to check after work. 

And I know that the button assigns do for sure as I have the Looper saved as button 7 for 'drop in' help when editing a preset.  

2 minutes ago, themetallikid said:

Is the Exp Pedal considered a 'footswitch' and not a 'controller'?  Only asking, I'm going off memory, but I have my fave wah and I'm pretty sure it assigns pops up with the bypass (auto engage settings) as Exp 2.  I know the sweep of the wah auto assigns when you add a block, but the bypass part doesnt....I'd have to check after work. 

And I know that the button assigns do for sure as I have the Looper saved as button 7 for 'drop in' help when editing a preset.  

Yeah, the Wah, Pitch Wham, Volume, Gain and Panner blocks are the exception. Even when you insert them from the regular menus, they come in with control assignments tied to either EXP1 or EXP2. That’s Line 6’s way of trying to make them a little idiot-proof. I believe if you change their control assignments from the default and then save the block as a Favorite, that the Favorite would still come in with the default assignments, although I’m not positive.

Too bad.... And unfortunately I can't really even see reusing the same settings for many different presets to make it helpful if copy/past in the editor even helps at all either. At least it's not too hard to map the controller when going into a new snapshot once you learn the order of things.

As you are no doubt aware the easiest way to do this right now is to create a preset with all of your most frequently used blocks and assignments and use it as a template to create new presets.

I have long thought that adding a function to at least add all the parameters for a given block simultaneously would be helpful. There are some blocks such as amps where I consistently find that there are only a couple of parameters I don't want assigned to snapshots but want the majority assigned. Easier at that point to assign the block's parameters en masse and then unassign a couple of parameters.

I like the idea of enabling Favorites to include assignments but you would need to find a way to reconcile that with the possibility that selecting that Favorite exceeded the 64 controller limit in the selected preset.

15 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

As you are no doubt aware the easiest way to do this right now is to create a preset with all of your most frequently used blocks and assignments and use it as a template to create new presets.

I have long thought that adding a function to at least add all the parameters for a given block simultaneously would be helpful. There are some blocks such as amps where I consistently find that there are only a couple of parameters I don't want assigned to snapshots but want the majority assigned. Easier at that point to assign the block's parameters en masse and then unassign a couple of parameters.

I like the idea of enabling Favorites to include assignments but you would need to find a way to reconcile that with the possibility that selecting that Favorite exceeded the 64 controller limit in the selected preset.

Here's an ideascale I added awhile ago which addresses this I think. Vote it up!!

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Snapshots-one-click-multi-parameter-assignment/869909-23508

• Upvote 1

Well, that's helpful, but more helpful for me is finding out from a comment there that press and turn a parameter sets that parameter to snapshots! That's mostly all I really want to do anyway: when I'm in a snapshot, change the parameter and have it stick. I just need to press it down while I turn! Awesome!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tjbassoon said:

Well, that's helpful, but more helpful for me is finding out from a comment there that press and turn a parameter sets that parameter to snapshots! That's mostly all I really want to do anyway: when I'm in a snapshot, change the parameter and have it stick. I just need to press it down while I turn! Awesome!

The press and turn the knob thing has been part of snapshots pretty much since they first appeared. Definitely a great method if you are working directly on your device. Discovered this one too for HX Edit. Shortcut: In HX Edit, highlight any parameter by clicking on its value or title and hit the letter "S" once and it will be assigned to snapshots. Hit "S" a second time and it will unassign that parameter from snapshots.  Handy shortcut and I find it faster than right-clicking the parameter and selecting 'Snapshot' from the bottom of the pulldown(should be at the first or second position in the pulldown IMHO).

Occurs to me that if they added a Shift-Select and Ctrl-Select ability to HX Edit such that you could select multiple parameters on a block at one time, assigning them to snapshots could be done in a single keystroke.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

The press and turn the knob thing has been part of snapshots pretty much since they first appeared. Definitely a great method if you are working directly on your device. Discovered this one too for HX Edit. Shortcut: In HX Edit, highlight any parameter by clicking on its value or title and hit the letter "S" once and it will be assigned to snapshots. Hit "S" a second time and it will unassign that parameter from snapshots.  Handy shortcut and I find it faster than right-clicking the parameter and selecting 'Snapshot' from the bottom of the pulldown(should be at the first or second position in the pulldown IMHO).

Occurs to me that if they added a Shift-Select and Ctrl-Select ability to HX Edit such that you could select multiple parameters on a block at one time, assigning them to snapshots could be done in a single keystroke.

Ooooo. Thank you for that shortcut tip. Is there a list of shortcuts somewhere? I couldn't find one in the manual. One thing I do not like about things these days is more and more products will have functions that aren't well documented at all. It seems like it takes someone to accidentally discover something.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2021 at 8:38 AM, brue58ski said:

Ooooo. Thank you for that shortcut tip. Is there a list of shortcuts somewhere? I couldn't find one in the manual. One thing I do not like about things these days is more and more products will have functions that aren't well documented at all. It seems like it takes someone to accidentally discover something.

HX Edit has a large number of keyboard shortcuts available and all listed together. If you go to HX Edit's menu and select 'Help' --> 'HX Edit Application Pilot's Guide' you will find a list of shortcuts starting on page 65. It is extensive!

For shortcuts on the device they are not gathered together in one place. In the Helix manual for example, they appear instead within gray boxes scattered throughout the doc.  I find the easiest way to scan them all quickly is to use the find function(Ctrl-F in Windows) and search on the keyword "Shortcut". Maybe someone will cut & paste them all into a condensed single document at some point.

The helixhelp site has some useful tips:

https://helixhelp.com/tips

Old but a few tips in here  - https://media.americanmusical.com/ItemFiles/Manual/LIN_HELIXFB_2shortcuts.pdf