Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Suggestion Box?

bobdobbs

Is there a place to get suggestions to Line 6 for the next update for helix? If so I have a couple that i've been thinking about.

• Text colors: I understand that you wanted to color code the effects/amps etc. But red text (amp) on black is an absolute nightmare on my eyes, as are all the other colors other than the delay (im color blind which doesnt help, Im sure there are a few others here that are in the same boat). You can put a color coded box around the item but please change all text (and sliders) to white on black and maybe if a parameter is snapshot dependent make it yellow on black. This would be a MASSIVE UI improvement for me 
  • HX edit stand alone mode: Most of the time my computer is not attached to the Helix. but ill have an idea for a preset. I think it would be kinda cool if HX edit had a stand alone mode. where I could construct a patch without it being connected. I really dont care about hearing what it will sound like. I just want to get an idea down and than tweak it once connected. 
  • Block change behavior in HX Edit: I find myself mistakingly changing the contents of a block because i have it selected while perusing through the various other blocks. it would be nice if you could only change a block by double clicking on another one in the list.  

This is where you go if you're serious about suggestions for changes and improvements:

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/index

Before posting a new idea, please search to see if it's already been proposed. If 100 people vote on the same idea presented 20 different ways, it looks like only 5 people care about it!

Also, post your ideas one at a time. I for one NEVER vote for multiple combined suggestions.

20 hours ago, rd2rk said:

This is where you go if you're serious about suggestions for changes and improvements:

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/index

Before posting a new idea, please search to see if it's already been proposed. If 100 people vote on the same idea presented 20 different ways, it looks like only 5 people care about it!

Also, post your ideas one at a time. I for one NEVER vote for multiple combined suggestions.

And thank you, researching now

So apparently im in some sort of endless loop with ideascale. I signed up but never got confirmation email, when i hit resend confirmation it just says member already verified by email.

and nothing in SPAM

21 hours ago, bobdobbs said:

• HX edit stand alone mode: Most of the time my computer is not attached to the Helix. but ill have an idea for a preset. I think it would be kinda cool if HX edit had a stand alone mode. where I could construct a patch without it being connected. I really dont care about hearing what it will sound like. I just want to get an idea down and than tweak it once connected. 

Just so you understand, you already have such a thing available to you..it's called Helix Native.  Anything you design in Helix Native can be imported as a preset into your Helix unit.

The problem with trying to do this with HX Edit is that HX Edit has no built-in intelligence or understanding of modeling at all.  It's simply a pretty interface that uses the abilities and intelligence built into the Helix unit for everything it does, and that's why it's free.  It would be simpler to make Helix Native work as a standalone program outside of a DAW.  But you'd still have to pay for it since that's a pretty extensive piece of software.

Just to be totally clear, Helix Native is not a stand alone product. It is a VST plugin that generally will only work in a DAW. There are stand alone VST programs out there that you could use but the program itself is not a stand alone program. And the VST stand alone products that I've used (free) are kind of a pain. It is also expensive (IMHO) if you don't have the license to buy it with a new Helix product. $499 if you don't own a Helix, $99 if you bought your Helix new OR if the owner of the Helix you just purchased didn't use the license that went with it. Right now this is the only way to do what you want to do.

Totally know about helix Native. it's not an option really.  I think you may be missing what i'm trying to accomplish.

I would use HX edit JUST to pre-build a patch while not connected. This not to tweak and fine tune by ear, that's for when HX edit is connected to my floor unit guitar and amp.

If there were a stand alone mode you could build the patch that you want, assign all the footswitches/snapshots/paths/order (all from the comfort of your bedroom/bus stop/train station/office). Once you create something you than connect it to your helix/guitar/amp and than do your final tweaking.  Allot of the menusha of assigning footswitches and management of helix I don't want to do while my guitar is in my hands. I'd rather do it when i'm not trying to be creative. Menu diving is a buzzkill. Plus there is the ergonomics issue, I play standing and reaching forward to my computer while my guitar is around my neck can be a bit painful (spinal stenosis is a lollipop). 

30 minutes ago, bobdobbs said:

Totally know about helix Native. it's not an option really.  I think you may be missing what i'm trying to accomplish.

I would use HX edit JUST to pre-build a patch while not connected. This not to tweak and fine tune by ear, that's for when HX edit is connected to my floor unit guitar and amp.

If there were a stand alone mode you could build the patch that you want, assign all the footswitches/snapshots/paths/order (all from the comfort of your bedroom/bus stop/train station/office). Once you create something you than connect it to your helix/guitar/amp and than do your final tweaking.  Allot of the menusha of assigning footswitches and management of helix I don't want to do while my guitar is in my hands. I'd rather do it when i'm not trying to be creative. Menu diving is a buzzkill. Plus there is the ergonomics issue, I play standing and reaching forward to my computer while my guitar is around my neck can be a bit painful (spinal stenosis is a lollipop). 

On the contrary, I think you miss my point.  HX Edit has no knowledge of what blocks (effects, amps, cabs, etc.) are available, no knowledge of the impact the inclusion of a block has on DSP, no understanding of what a snapshot is, or the difference between an amp and a fuzz box or a compressor, or an output block, no understanding of the rules of how many splits you can have on a signal chain, no knowledge of parameters, and the list goes on and on.  It only knows to how to present things to the user that Helix tells it about and how to respond to the Helix's directions if it says OK or "that's not allowed".  Without an actual Helix attached, it's going to be a picture of two signal chains that you can do nothing with.  Every action it presents to you is an action that is controlled and authorized directly by the Helix unit.  It is the pure definition of a "dumb terminal" program. The only "smarts" it has is it knows how to interact with a computer filing system for backups, imports and exports.  But even then it needs a Helix to export from or import to.  That's the entire extent of it's intellect...and that's why you get it for free.

There is no requirement for you to have a guitar in your hands to build a preset.  I rarely have a guitar in my hands when I lay out a preset.  Once I've laid out a preset I pickup a guitar and start setting parameters.  I don't even need HX Edit for that.  Just the Helix itself.

45 minutes ago, bobdobbs said:

You would need a computing device of some sort in your hands to operate the desired stand-alone version of HX Edit. Since you are not requesting an iOS or Android version of HX Edit you must accept that this device be a computer - MAC or Windows - and presumably a laptop for ‘your bedroom/bus stop/train station/office’. So given that you already have such a device all you need to do is load a VST hosting app (like a DAW) on this computer and run Helix Native. As stated before, I believe you already have your solution. What am I missing?

Perhaps what you’re really asking for is a stand-alone version of Helix Native, one that is not embedded as a VST. That’s a much more realistic possibility than a stand-alone HX Edit.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, silverhead said:

You would need a computing device of some sort in your hands to operate the desired stand-alone version of HX Edit. Since you are not requesting an iOS or Android version of HX Edit you must accept that this device be a computer - MAC or Windows - and presumably a laptop for ‘your bedroom/bus stop/train station/office’. So given that you already have such a device all you need to do is load a VST hosting app (like a DAW) on this computer and run Helix Native. As stated before, I believe you already have your solution. What am I missing?

Perhaps what you’re really asking for is a stand-alone version of Helix Native, one that is not embedded as a VST. That’s a much more realistic possibility than a stand-alone HX Edit.

I Guess.....

just not looking to spend another 99 bucks. 

Aaahh....   not a technical or usability issue at all. It’s a cost concern. I can understand that. Perhaps you should submit an Ideascale request to have a stand-alone version of Helix Native, not HX Edit. In fact that is probably already an Ideascale suggestion. Search for it and vote it up. As I said that’s a much less costly thing for Line 6 to develop and there’s already a precedent. Pod Farm is both a stand-alone and plug-in product. 

Meantime, well.... you know your option. How badly do you want this now? Is the cost worth it to you?

• 1 year later...

I checked a little bit before I posted this to see if someone had already said this and I didn't see it, so here we go:

Global Settings Presets

So I have been playing guitar for a bit now, and I am a part church player and part bedroom player. The way that I do the global settings is wildly different between the two. For example, I like to assign the bottom four foot switches to snapshots and the top for to presets when playing at church, but at home (where I experiment with sounds) I like them to all be presets (or stomps, but I can do that with the mode switch). Also, I use different ins and outs and general preferences at church than I do at home. I just think it would be super cool if there were like two or four "Global Presets" that I could easily switch to between venues. Thanks for your time! (Also, if there might be a way I can already do this it would be great to know!)

On 8/2/2022 at 4:14 PM, CharBerr32 said:

I checked a little bit before I posted this to see if someone had already said this and I didn't see it, so here we go:

Global Settings Presets

So I have been playing guitar for a bit now, and I am a part church player and part bedroom player. The way that I do the global settings is wildly different between the two. For example, I like to assign the bottom four foot switches to snapshots and the top for to presets when playing at church, but at home (where I experiment with sounds) I like them to all be presets (or stomps, but I can do that with the mode switch). Also, I use different ins and outs and general preferences at church than I do at home. I just think it would be super cool if there were like two or four "Global Presets" that I could easily switch to between venues. Thanks for your time! (Also, if there might be a way I can already do this it would be great to know!)

Nobody from L6 hangs out here. This is where you go to requests and product improvement suggestions:

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/login

Search first so as not to dilute the votes when your ideas have already been posted.

• Upvote 1

Yes, DI has confirmed that the suggestions on Ideascale are part of their considerations. 

Yes, some things have been implemented - tuner improvements come immediately to mind.

No, you can't always get what you want.

So far, I've gotten everything I need, and a lot that I'll never use.

Many of the "most popular" requests on Ideascale are things that I couldn't care less about.

I hope that everybody gets what they want in v3.2. :-)

EDIT: FWIW - Even America's founding fathers didn't believe in pure democracy. Just sayin'!

it's another topic that you get more than what you want as it is..i wonder how many ideas came in the updates and added to helix. at first i understand like, people will write their wishes and the most voted ones will be considered to add to unit..unfortunately i doesn't seem like that...

On 8/3/2022 at 5:33 PM, chstd said:

it's another topic that you get more than what you want as it is..i wonder how many ideas came in the updates and added to helix. at first i understand like, people will write their wishes and the most voted ones will be considered to add to unit..unfortunately i doesn't seem like that...

I suspect it's a lot more than the number of votes that determine what features will be added.  The feature has to be consistent with what Helix is which is a modeler, not a sampler, or a synth.  The feature needs to have a BROAD audience appeal not just a numerical following.  Case in point, there are quite a few people that are into loopers and are very passionate about it, but it's not something that a large percentage of Helix users would necessarily appreciate or use.   It has to be consistent with the architecture that's been established.  Case in point loading HXEdit on a tablet or a standalone HXEdit are quite popular but are at odds with how HXEdit operates and would likely require a physical reworking of the electronics to operate not to mention a complete rebuild from the ground up of HX Edit.  I could go on, but I think you get my drift.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/3/2022 at 3:33 PM, chstd said:

Actually, that's not what I said. I said that I've gotten everything I needed and more, much of which wasn't even asked for on Ideascale.

Can you name another MI manufacturer who has something similar to Ideascale and consistently implements the suggestions received?

It took the Fractal kids YEARS to get their Klone.

This forum is primarily intended as first line user support - users helping users.

I'm always happy to help if you have a problem, but no one can help with complaints about Ideascale, it is what it is.

Take part, vote for what you like, or don't.

"If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice!"

• Upvote 2

On 8/3/2022 at 4:12 PM, DunedinDragon said:

I suspect it's a lot more than the number of votes that determine what features will be added.  The feature has to be consistent with what Helix is which is a modeler, not a sampler, or a synth.  The feature needs to have a BROAD audience appeal not just a numerical following.  Case in point, there are quite a few people that are into loopers and are very passionate about it, but it's not something that a large percentage of Helix users would necessarily appreciate or use.   It has to be consistent with the architecture that's been established.  Case in point loading HXEdit on a tablet or a standalone HXEdit are quite popular but are at odds with how HXEdit operates and would likely require a physical reworking of the electronics to operate not to mention a complete rebuild from the ground up of HX Edit.  I could go on, but I think you get my drift.

I'll add that two of the oldest requests on Ideascale are for an on-board clock and a coffeemaker.

One of those was a serious request that was re-posted just recently.

MANY of us are STILL waiting for our Free Pony!

• Haha 2

On 8/3/2022 at 10:33 PM, chstd said:

the most voted ones will be considered to add to unit..unfortunately i doesn't seem like that...

It is the only place where you are able to place requests for additional features, and they may actually be added to the Helix family.

As a website, it doesn’t seem to be that well maintained - as you have found. There are many things in there that have actually already been implemented in previous firmware updates. There are also other things that are simply going to be regarded as too weird to contemplate ever being included.

You may not like it - but it’s your only option. People vote for what they think might be good.

Hope this helps/makes sense.