Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Ampilifi 150 Vibration Issues

Carlos_Danger

That would drive me crazy too. If it were my amp that were vibrating I'd open her up to try to fix the problem, and then if I couldn't fix it for sure it would have to go back to the store. If you do decide to open her up take some pictures of the innards and post them--I haven't seen anyone do that yet. I'd love to crack mine open (I have the 75) but because it's working so solidly (not a hint of a rattle or vibration) I'm thinking it's probably best not to. Hope you make out well.

I am going to bring it back and get a non vibrating one

Hi, Did you take your amp back? Mine has started to have the vibration issue you mentioned. Weirdly enough it also only happens on certain notes.......especially the A note on the sixth string. The vibration is very irritating and the back panel just keeps buzzing but it is not as bad during music playback. Just wondering if you did exchange your amp do you still have the same problem with the new one. Is it possible that we have had the amps turned up too loud?

Hi Carlos. I haven't experienced this issue, but with three amps in this thread showing these symptoms, I'm really curious.  Can you expand on what you know at bit ...  At what volume level were you playing? What type of "tone" (overdriven, clean, metal?) Where there any songs you played from your Music Library that was causing the same problem -- and at what volume? You mentioned you "hit certain notes"... which notes are they?   Thanks in advance.  Since this is a new product, any info like this could help others better understand their amps.  AE

Hi Carlos. I haven't experienced this issue, but with three amps in this thread showing these symptoms, I'm really curious.  Can you expand on what you know at bit ...  At what volume level were you playing? What type of "tone" (overdriven, clean, metal?) Where there any songs you played from your Music Library that was causing the same problem -- and at what volume? You mentioned you "hit certain notes"... which notes are they?   Thanks in advance.  Since this is a new product, any info like this could help others better understand their amps.  AE

Hi Archtopeddy. I can tell you when my amp start's to vibrate. Guitar input 75% Volume of amp around 50 to 60%. No music playing. All tones seem to activate the vibration but even clean tone played on neck pick up at this level produces very bad vibration. Back panel and where the channel controls are suffers the worst. If I hold a note and let it sustain the amp goes into total buzz mode.  I have the 150 model.

Am I correct in assuming that it's been all 150's that are exhibiting the vibration problem? I own a 75 and it's solid. In the past, I've had amps that have rattled and vibrated, and I've always just gone inside to find / fix the issue e.g. extra glue, screws, blocking, cable ties, etc. I recently did this with my Bugera V5. I think it's just the nature of the beast -- like car dashboards -- guitar amps like to rattle and vibrate but usually easy to fix once you isolate the problem. Don't be afraid to get in there to find out what/where the problem is then fix it ... you've got nothing to lose ... especially if you like the amp. I'm sure Line 6 would back you up on it especially if you report back to them what the problem was.

Hi Archtopeddy. I can tell you when my amp start's to vibrate. Guitar input 75% Volume of amp around 50 to 60%. No music playing. All tones seem to activate the vibration but even clean tone played on neck pick up at this level produces very bad vibration. Back panel and where the channel controls are suffers the worst. If I hold a note and let it sustain the amp goes into total buzz mode.  I have the 150 model.

Thanks Sonny.  It's getting too late here to test the amp at these volumes, but I'll give it a go tomorrow and see if I have the same issues with my 150.  AE

Thanks Sonny.  It's getting too late here to test the amp at these volumes, but I'll give it a go tomorrow and see if I have the same issues with my 150.  AE

Ok cool. I use a LP style guitar if that's any help, as I have already mentioned in an earlier post clean, distortion, it don't really matter it's when you sustain a note, it goes absolutely nuts when using notes from around the 5th fret to say the 12th fret. Bottom three strings seem to be the worst offenders. Thanks for testing in advance. Very helpful. :)

Funny, I never pushed my amp to the level where I noticed it, but upon checking -- sure enough when amp is set at 75 % volume, it gets a cab buzz happening, in my case the low G note on the E6 string.  So I kept pressing parts of the back until I was able to isolate the location. In my case, it was where the top of the cover overlaps near the right side of the back panel.  I wedged a 2mm pick in there and it "muffled" the buzz shortening its duration -- however, still have some buzz.  Things that make you go hmmm... I don't play at those loud levels much and generally I've been happy with the amp, so do I look at the situation as glass half empty (buzz...) or glass half full (AMPLIFI with new spare pick holding accessory)?  I'd post a picture but I can't figure out how.  Maybe Phil can help me here...   AE

Hi, Did you take your amp back? Mine has started to have the vibration issue you mentioned. Weirdly enough it also only happens on certain notes.......especially the A note on the sixth string. 

Not weird at all...all solid objects have some dominant resonant frequency. Play that frequency loud enough, and you'll shake it apart. We've all seen the opera (ugh... ;) ) singers who can crack the wine glass with their voice. Same thing is going on here. Somewhere in the bowels of the amp, something's rattling, apparently at 100Hz. . . Google "Tacoma Narrows bridge" for the worlds most unfortunate example of this.

But I digress...I've got a Marshall 25th Anniv. cab that had a nasty rattle once. Don't remember what note set it off, but the fix was easy. This thing has a 2"x2" wooden post, that I suppose is there to support the back panel. It's screwed into the front panel where the speakers are mounted, and just sits against the back panel when it's in place. I guess it just worked itself loose after many years of use. I cut a square of material from an old guitar cloth and just stuck it on the end of the post to tighten the fit a little, put the back panel back on, and it hasn't vibrated since.

Thanks Cruisin' for the explanation of dominant resonant frequency. And that was a cool fix on your Marshall.  Unfortunately, these AMPLIFIs are built in a way that seems to discourage taking a peek inside. For me, it'd feel like taking a screwdriver to the foreboding Monolith in 2001, A Space Odyssey.  So for now, the wedged pick is my best 'place-holder' answer.  Maybe someone else has opened up this hermetically sealed box and can tell us what the innards look like -- anyone?  AE

Well the Amplifi 150 is going back to the store. I cannot stand it any longer the vibration from the cab is really that bad. Getting it exchanged so will report back, but don't hold out much hope. A friend of mine also bought the 150 amp and we checked his out at the same volumes and sure enough along came that buzzing, though I must say it was not as extreme on his amp as mine. It's such a shame because I'm really enjoying this amp but it will be restricted to lower volumes from now on to keep my sanity. Lol. Unless the new one is as solid as a rock.

Edited by sonny666

Hi Sonny666 -- Regarding the buzz, please let us know soonest what you find with another 150. I have a 30 day return with Guitar Center and my days are down to single digits.  I'm torn between keeping it (since I don't play heavy music or music that's that loud) or trading for a lighter, more conveniently sized 75 since I bought the 150 for the extra "umph" for live performances.  If it's going to buzz, I wonder if I really need it over the 75.  Frankly, I think I could live with either choice -- but choose I must, and soon!  AE

Thanks Cruisin' for the explanation of dominant resonant frequency. And that was a cool fix on your Marshall.  Unfortunately, these AMPLIFIs are built in a way that seems to discourage taking a peek inside. For me, it'd feel like taking a screwdriver to the foreboding Monolith in 2001, A Space Odyssey.  So for now, the wedged pick is my best 'place-holder' answer.  Maybe someone else has opened up this hermetically sealed box and can tell us what the innards look like -- anyone?  AE

Lol...yeah, "no user serviceable parts inside". Never seen an Amplifi in person...is it a plastic enclosure, or some kind of composite material? I think when there's a bunch of plastic parts all shoved together, this kind of vibration issue is more likely to happen. Less problems with a big wooden box...at least that you can tinker with it, if need be.

Every combo amp I have owned has had some sort of resonance or buzz.  If it's not too bad, live with it.  Any time you pack stuff in a box with a bunch of speakers it's likely to have a few resonance buzzes.  It's very hard to prevent.  Guitars do it too.

Absolutely raged on my 150, no buzzes or rattles.   Went so far I have a lot of other things accross the room buzzing like crazy so I had help to spot and assure nothing coming from this 150.  Perhaps there are good ones and bad ones.    I am not using a tele or strat or single coils, heavy low end used with dark guitar with high end humbuckers and emgs too.  Played it like a raging high gain stack was in the 150.  Now usually the drums are rattling so bad there are going to be buzzes and rattles in a live situation or even practice.  I can see where recording with buzzing would be a problem.  Beat it to death trying and no buzzes as I too wanted to be sure.

So, I decided I would take a look inside my 75 by removing the back panel--simple enough since it's just 6-screws... Right? Nope! The screw located next to the power connector appears to be thread-locked (those rascals!).  Five of the screws did come loose but even those were on really tight ... I just can't get that 6th one loose, and I don't want to strip the head trying.  An impact screwdriver would be the only hope but I don't own one so no pics from me ... for now at least.

Hi Sonny666 -- Regarding the buzz, please let us know soonest what you find with another 150. I have a 30 day return with Guitar Center and my days are down to single digits.  I'm torn between keeping it (since I don't play heavy music or music that's that loud) or trading for a lighter, more conveniently sized 75 since I bought the 150 for the extra "umph" for live performances.  If it's going to buzz, I wonder if I really need it over the 75.  Frankly, I think I could live with either choice -- but choose I must, and soon!  AE

Received the replacement today and yes the same problem still exists. I think that my mind is made up though, I really like the amp and if I did exchange it for another product I actually would miss it. I will just have to play at a lower volume ( to my neighbors relief ) so I don't send myself crazy. The ease of use I really enjoy, the plug in and play aspect of the product is great. The editing app is a breeze to use, and as a portable speaker it's fab. So the vibration at high volumes sucks but the good I suppose out weighs the bad.

These comments below helped me make the decision to hang on to the 150.  Thanks for your thoughts!  AE

Every combo amp I have owned has had some sort of resonance or buzz.  If it's not too bad, live with it.

Now usually the drums are rattling so bad there are going to be buzzes and rattles in a live situation or even practice. 

So the vibration at high volumes sucks but the good I suppose out weighs the bad.

Yup, I had it cranked for a while, but I never get it over halfway either listening, or playing as a general rule. No buzz heard by me when I was all the way up.  We played both clean(the JC120 patch) or the Joe Walsh tone. It didn't buzz with the other modelers going thru the aux either.

Ok, I screwed around some more with the JC120 patch cranked all the way up just now. Played single notes all over the fretboard and no vibration. The same with chords. So there you have it, no buzzes on mine...there is some hum, but not as much as a cranked tube amp!

• Upvote 1

I have the 75 with no buzzes, so I really have no dog in the fight. Having said that, if it were me and I really liked the amp I'd hang on to it until the "new" is worn off of it and eventually track the buzz down and fix it with a shim, some epoxy, or whatever it takes to make it stop. I have a single 15" bass cabinet that I've been playing through since 1988 with the torn-off corner of a Duracell battery box stuffed under the grill so it won't rattle. That thing rattled from the day I bought it, and one day I couldn't stand it any longer and crammed my "temporary" fix under the grill. It became the sweetest, most sexy, round bass tone I ever heard, and since then it's been all over North America, and can't imagine playing a gig without it.

..... I've been playing through since 1988 with the torn-off corner of a Duracell battery box stuffed under the grill so it won't rattle.

Ah Sandman .... I see you used the "deluxe solution" ... beautiful.

..... I've been playing through since 1988 with the torn-off corner of a Duracell battery box stuffed under the grill so it won't rattle.

Ah Sandman .... I see you used the "deluxe solution" ... beautiful.

LOL. Yup, the "working musician" solution is more like it, and I'm glad somebody got a kick out it like I did. Actually I've been meaning to fix it... since 1988. I'm definitely going to get to it one of these days. ;)

Seriously, it just never became a problem again so I didn't worry about it. I read somewhere that Pat Metheny toured for years using a toothbrush to hold his guitar strap on after the strap button pulled out of his guitar. I must have been subconsciously inspired.

Hate the vibration and I know I will eventually loathe this amp over it. 

This statement is what made me want to tell the story because if I had given up on my rattling bass cabinet early-on, I would have passed up on the best bass tone I ever heard. I really liked the cabinet, so I waited until it wasn't so "new" anymore and finally "fixed" what was bothering me about it.

..... I'm definitely going to get to it one of these days. ;)

Well, there is this saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it" ...... maybe we should modify this in your case to say ... "if it was fixed once, don't fix it twice" .. lol

I am a big believer in not messing with things if they are working ..... I remember a guy saying once "if my rig is working properly I don't even blow the dust off it" .. words of wisdom.

My 150 has the vibration issue.

I've corresponded with tech support at Line 6.

Great guy, very helpful.

He said he checked it out and the one he has there does it too.

He thought that it is not a problem because most amps rattle and that the volume of the amp would "drown out the rattle".

In the case of my amp, the vibration can clearly be heard along with the lovely guitar sound.

I was wanting to use the amp for recording, and I don't think it will be a good choice for that.