Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Correct Way to Perform HX Stomp XL Factory Reset

ucnick

I repeatedly tried to do a factory reset on my HX Stomp XL by holding down C and D switches while powering on, it doesn't work, just... boots up normally. Tried A and B, A and C, B and D, A and C, yadda yadda yadda. What is the correct way to do a factory reset that will work? I'm paranoid about bricking it by doing something wrong. Appreciate the help. Thanks.

5 hours ago, ucnick said:

Anyone?

Found these listed by Line6 here

"HX Stomp XL

1. Foot switches C + D performs a factory reset while pressing on holding boot-up. (Resets Globals, Presets, IRs).

2. Pressing and Holding down the "Page >" Button while powering up will put the HX into update mode. This update mode is helpful if the update is interrupted, and the HX Stomp will not boot properly. You will see a blank screen (no visual feedback on the display)."

Don't own the XL but maybe it is telling that https://helixhelp.com/tips-and-guides/universal/reset-options doesn't have any reset options for the XL yet. My guess is that the next firmware revision or a future one will work more in and/or document them. Might be something additional there already that a call to Line6 or a posted question on TGP might be able to shed some light on.  I would have expected the reset options to be similar to the HX Stomp but there are those extra switches so maybe not. If the above options are not sufficient or not working have you tried the combinations for the HX Stomp? Not that I am recommending that but I doubt you'll cause any harm as long as you have backups.

• Upvote 1

On 4/4/2021 at 10:50 PM, ucnick said:

I repeatedly tried to do a factory reset on my HX Stomp XL by holding down C and D switches while powering on, it doesn't work, just... boots up normally. Tried A and B, A and C, B and D, A and C, yadda yadda yadda. What is the correct way to do a factory reset that will work? I'm paranoid about bricking it by doing something wrong. Appreciate the help. Thanks.

Hi, 

As pointed out in the post from “HonestOpinion”, above, the Footswitches C & D should perform a factory reset. You said that you have tried this without success, which seems odd. You also say that it “just... boots up normally”. What do you expect it to do? If it boots up “normally” then it’s working.

I’m slightly amused, and confused, by your comment - “I'm paranoid about bricking it by doing something wrong.” - yet proceed to blindly start to push footswitch combinations at random. That could have left your unit totally FUBAR.

I’m also intrigued as to why you would need to perform a factory reset on what, to all intents and purposes, is a brand new device? You didn’t say what disaster you encountered that would require this sort of reset.

If you have tried the recommended factory reset and it hasn’t worked, then you really need to contact Customer Support and explain the situation to them. Your unit is covered by warranty.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

EDIT:

I must have been only half awake before - You could try the “Safe Boot” option and re-flash the firmware, see if that works!

Edited by datacommando
Edit
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Gee thanks. I'm so glad I was able to amuse you. 

Never mind. I thought someone may actually want to be helpful. Obviously a mistake.

Thanks for the passive aggressive stuff. Have a great day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The reset options for the HX Stomp XL are exactly the same as they are on the HX Stomp.

Helix Help will be updated with this information in the next update to the site. There are a lot of moving parts for this next update so I'm tightening things up to make sure I have an awesome release for everybody to enjoy.

In the meantime, here is a screenshot of the reset options for the HX Stomp and HX Stomp XL:

image.thumb.png.602538d5bb0d42c68e2b898b567b81a6.pngHelix H

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, ucnick said:

Gee thanks. I'm so glad I was able to amuse you. 

Never mind. I thought someone may actually want to be helpful. Obviously a mistake.

Thanks for the passive aggressive stuff. Have a great day.

If I may suggest; for basics like that, google is working great. Then there is Knowledge base, on this same place; https://line6.com/support/page/kb/general-faq/line-6-device-factory-reset-procedures-r435/

I need to reset the presets. Mine (got it yesterday) came loaded with factory presets all titled "New Preset"; with Fx, blocks, amps, etc. all set up. Just, no preset titles. Kinda weird! Seems to have the latest firmware on it.

Pretty awesome little unit though. I've got the HX regular on my other board, this one is going on my Friedman board.

For amp fx loop stuff; comp, gate, eq, boost, modulation, delay, verb; and looper. The 6 button looper is a major upgrade.

I make do with the HX using a two button trs switch, a two button midi (DMC micro) and expression pedal thru the DMC.

And using the DMC for looper on the HX does work well enough- alot better than the one button version.

But the XL looper 6 button option is way better.

Also, adding a two button trs switch (I had a Boss FS-7 which works fine) for FS7, and FS8 is very useful, specially having dedicated mode and tap temp buttons assigned. Really makes using it alot easier now! My buddy uses the smaller board with the HX, so we'll be able to come up with some cool presets; using them same way on his rig. I've got a Friedman, he uses a Boogie. 

x0cZjvx.jpg

CQFNRy5.jpg

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, spelljammer1 said:

I used C and D.

Hi,

That’s correct, that is the info posted above from “HonestOpinion”, who directs anyone who needs to know to the official posting of reset procedures in the link provided.

47 minutes ago, spelljammer1 said:

I also needed to reset it because everything didn't have a label

Did the reset using “C & D” solve the problem for you?

• 4 months later...
On 4/9/2021 at 8:02 PM, datacommando said:

Hi,

That’s correct, that is the info posted above from “HonestOpinion”, who directs anyone who needs to know to the official posting of reset procedures in the link provided.

Did the reset using “C & D” solve the problem for you?

I was having the same issue - no presets. I powered off the unit, then held C & D, powered up, It worked for me!!!!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mauijet said:

Same problem here. Why are we getting new units with all the factory presets labeled “new preset”?

Updated to latest firmware, didn’t fix. 

Someone most likely installed new firmware and used the footswitch reset combination that erases all the presets instead of the one that does the factory reset. To do the factory reset, hold down footswitches C & D while powering up. That will give you all the factory presets.

• 6 months later...

The problem is that stores like Sweetwater are installing the latest firmware before shipping the units out. When this is done, it erases all the presets. Thats why people (like myself) get a brand new unit with updated firmware and no factory presets. Not cool.

• 1 year later...
On 4/5/2021 at 7:50 AM, ucnick said:

What the instructions fail to emphasize is that you must HOLD DOWN the C & D buttons throughout the entire bootup procedure until you get a message warning that this will factory reset. Switching 'on' while 'holding C&D' then letting go before the ENTIRE bootup will result in a standard reboot with  your old settings intact.