Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Being able to latch switch between 2 Snapshots

Music4life928

Hello,

NEED HELP...PLEASE!

I have an HX Effects and I am using Command Center to program a button inside a preset to flip between snapshot 1 and snapshot 2. I have the button programed on PRESS/RELEASE so that when I PRESS it goes to snapshot 2 and REALEASE it goes to snapshot 1. I currently have it set as follows, and when press the button it LATCHES to snapshot 2, then when I want I press the button again it RELEASE and it goes to snapshot 1, this is what I am looking for!

The issue is, I set this up in one preset, and when I went to another preset to repeat this process the button is only momentarily switched, NOT latching.  What did I do right the first time that I am messing up on repeat?

I don't see how you have it working as described.

If you set it to PRESS/HOLD, then set PRESS to SS2 and HOLD to SS1, then when you press and release it will switch to SS2, and when you then press and hold it will return to SS1.

49 minutes ago, Music4life928 said:

It isn't set to PRESS/HOLD, it is set to PRESS/RELEASE and working latched, I just can't repeat it in other presets.

As I said, I can't see how you did it in the first place.

16 hours ago, Music4life928 said:

when press the button it LATCHES to snapshot 2, then when I want I press the button again it RELEASE and it goes to snapshot 1

On HX Stomp, I can only make it work like this:

Command: HX Snapshot

Behavior: Press/Hold

Press: Snapshot 2

Hold: Snapshot 1

Means: On short press you get to Snp2, on long press you get back to Snp1.

You could toggle snapshots via CC Toggle: CC#69

But – at least on the Stomp – that doesn't seem to work internally, you'd need to patch MIDI I/O or use an external MIDI switch. (I'm using DMC.micro to switch snapshots.)

I have used the PRESS/HOLD but this is definitely set with PRESS/RELASE 

The kicker is this is what I want it to do but I can’t replicate it. So it sounds like I have an anomaly. I wish this was a feature, it is super helpful. Seems like this should be a setting.

I will look into the CC commands.

10 hours ago, Music4life928 said:

So it sounds like I have an anomaly.

Hi,

When weird stuff starts to happen, and you cannot figure it out, try a factory reset.

Make a back up first.

HX Effects

Button Combination

Description

Holding FS3 + MODE

Will clear all Presets and IRs

Holding FS4+FS5

Will reset Global Settings

Holding FS5+FS6

Will reset Presets only

Holding FS6+TAP

Will Perform factory restore (reset, Globals, IRs, and Presets)

Holding the right arrow ">"

Will put the unit in a fail safe update mode. Use this when the HX Effects is in an un-recoverable state

Hope this helps/makes sense.

I appreciate the help, but I want to repeat the anomaly or whatever happened though, not delete it.

I was hopping someone else had come across this and had a tip how to get it to latch, instead of momentary ... secret hand shake, nod, wink ... something 

42 minutes ago, Music4life928 said:

a tip how to get it to latch, instead of momentary ... secret hand shake, nod, wink ... something 

Well, according to the HX Effects 3.0 Owner’s Manual - page 39 - Controller Assign

FS1-FS6

Stepping on a Stomp mode footswitch can toggle between a parameter's min and max values.
Selecting FS1-FS6 will display Knob 3 (Switch Type). Turn Knob 3 to select "Moment[ary]" or "Latch[ing]." Momentary means the value will change for as long as you hold the switch. Latching toggles between Min and Max values every time you press the switch.

That seems to be the only reference to the terms “Momentary” & “Latching”.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/23/2021 at 1:39 PM, Music4life928 said:

The issue is, I set this up in one preset, and when I went to another preset to repeat this process the button is only momentarily switched, NOT latching. 

It sounds to me like your Footswitch "Type" is set to "latching" on the preset you like, but is set to "momentary" on the other presets that are not "latching".

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Music4life928 said:

I appreciate the help, but I want to repeat the anomaly or whatever happened though, not delete it.

I was hopping someone else had come across this and had a tip how to get it to latch, instead of momentary ... secret hand shake, nod, wink ... something 

That's cool. As long as you're planning to never update your device again. Because when you do, you're probably going to lose your "anomaly".

You COULD report it as a BUG, but ask that, if they find the problem, would they please implement it as a feature?

It's kind of a programmer's joke to describe a bug as a feature.  For a bug to actually BECOME a feature would be novel indeed!  :-)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, codamedia said:

It sounds to me like your Footswitch "Type" is set to "latching" on the preset you like, but is set to "momentary" on the other presets that are not "latching".

Problem is that there's no way to get to that setting when using CommandCenter to assign a Stomp Switch to change Snapshots, it only works when assigning a FS to a parameter of something.

I just tried setting the same FS already assigned to change snapshots to also control a parameter of an amp, setting it to equal Min/Max Values and "latching", thinking that maybe that would make it Latching for both functions. No dice.

• Like 1

I can do this easily with MIDI from an external controller, but apparently, Toggling CCs from HXS are restricted to values of 0-63/64-127.

0/1 sends:

Each and every time, and the LED doesn't change after the first press.

Very educational bug, this!

I first tried this using USB out to a MIDI Monitor, then back, and the above was the result.

BUT.....

OK - if you loop the MIDI Out to In, then set it up in CommandCenter per the attached example, it works!

Basically, you're sending a Toggling CC#69 with values DIM=0, LIT=1.

Of course, if you're using other MIDI devices, it could get complicated, but there ya go!

Music4life928.hlx

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

hello

I also have an HX Effects and I am using Command Center to try to program a Footswitch button inside a Preset using MIDI to change from Channel 3 to Channel 2 WITHOUT changing any effects in said Preset.  But NOTHING seems to work.   Don't know what I'm doing wrong.   Can anybody help ???

31 minutes ago, RODX21 said:

hello

I also have an HX Effects and I am using Command Center to try to program a Footswitch button inside a Preset using MIDI to change from Channel 3 to Channel 2 WITHOUT changing any effects in said Preset.  But NOTHING seems to work.   Don't know what I'm doing wrong.   Can anybody help ???

No idea what you're talking about. Change channels on what? MIDI channels? Amp channels? What amp? Be specific.

• Like 1

so I programmed my HX effects PRESET 26A,  with 6 effects to turn on while at the SAME TIME, my amp switches over to Channel 3.   USING MIDI.       that works PERFECT !!!

26B-26C-26D have other effects set differently 

what I'm trying to do is 

Enter into PRESET 26A and just have a Footswitch that will change to channel 2 and/or back to channel 3 without changing any effects whenever I want !!!!

to me it sounds simple   BUT the question is 

IS IT DOABLE 

THX

1 minute ago, RODX21 said:

IS IT DOABLE 

Yes.

AND - if you'll be specific about AT LEAST the MIDI messages required to do so, I can even tell you how.

If I knew what amp you're using, I'd look it up in the manual to be sure I'm telling you correctly.

• Like 1

Synergy Amps SYN-30 is the amp. 

From the Manual

Continuous Controllers

The SYN30 also responds to MIDI continuous controller (CC) messages. These MIDI messages are typically used for “instant access” buttons on more advanced MIDI controllers – buttons that can be set up to directly select amp channels. When using CC messages, you don’t need to go through the programming process described above.

CC Number            Function

56                            Select Channel 1

58                            Select Channel 2A

59                            Select Channel 2B

64                            Mute

(  I call #58 Channel 2 and #59 Channel 3 )     

When selecting a channel using CC messages, only a message with a CC value of 64 or higher will have any effect. Messages with a CC value of 63 or lower is ignored. The Mute CC (#64) will mute the amp if a value of 64 or higher is received, and will unmute the amp if a value of 63 or lower is received. 

Thank You

You'll need two Snapshots. You set the default Snapshot to call a default channel for that preset on Instant Command 1, then use a single Stomp FS to switch between them using Press/Hold.

See the attached example preset.

RODX21.hlx

• Upvote 1