Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

is a helix lt just a pod go with more resources?

mmoore67

Hello

Looking to buy a helix trying to decide between the full version and the lt

looking at videos it looks like the setup and pages in the software looks like my pod go

the pod go is great and everything, but keep running out of dsp

plus it has extras on top of that, like the two different signal paths

If anyone has any info they would like to share that would be great

Thanks a lot

Michael

Hi, this video may help highlighting differences.  The video is a bit old and some things might be out of date a bit (hx stomp can do up to 8 fx depending on dsp limit with most recent update for example).  But yes, they are mostly similar in sounds with different dsp and routing capability.  I think there may be a few differences in some models or fx available (can't recall which, but I think I remember somebody mention there were a couple differences), but more similar than different excluding dsp, routing, and layout.

8 hours ago, mmoore67 said:

Hello

looking at videos it looks like the setup and pages in the software looks like my pod go

plus it has extras on top of that, like the two different signal paths

If anyone has any info they would like to share that would be great

Thanks a lot

Michael

I used the GO for about a year...mostly for writing and getting arrangements scratched out...On a few projects I am working on the producer used some of my GO demo tracks. I recorded dry and wet and once arrangement is worked out i delete the wet and put native on the dry tracks. But the lack of midi was my main problem...Also having to spin up patches in Native is kind of a drag. I have some Source Audio stuff that I am really digging and needed to get it integrated proper, but I love the form factor of the GO. embedded midi host didn't seem sensible for my situation.

I ended up going HX Stomp XL....basically laid out like GO without an expression pedal and it has 2 chains. It integrated with the Source Audio stuff very nicely...I thought about the LT and FULL a lot...It could work for me just fine, but my pedalboard would be a bit larger than I would prefer. The thing is, if I were to spend that much on an LT, then I might as well go full helix and get the scribble strips...It's a lot to consider. best of luck to you.

18 hours ago, mmoore67 said:

Hello

You have that in reverse.... the POD Go software resembles the HELIX software, but with a lot more limitations :) 

18 hours ago, mmoore67 said:

The HELIX units can also run out of DSP if you are not careful,  but with two processors you can certainly run more, and spread out the resources as required.

To answer the TITLE of this thread...  "is a helix lt just a pod go with more resources?"

No, it's a lot more than that. The Helix LT has the same resources and abilities as the Helix Floor and Rack... it just has less "hardware" features. 

The POD Go is a convenient (and great sounding) little package, but it also has the most "software limitations" of the entire line. 

On 7/31/2021 at 4:47 PM, mmoore67 said:

That's one of the biggest differences, IMHO. Having two DSPs in the Helix (and LT) makes a world of difference. These days I'm using the Poly Capo extensively, and it eats a lot of DSP power, something that makes it really hard to apply without the two DSPs.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rachmaninoff said:

That's one of the biggest differences, IMHO. Having two DSPs in the Helix (and LT) makes a world of difference. These days I'm using the Poly Capo extensively, and it eats a lot of DSP power, something that makes it really hard to apply without the two DSPs.

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^  Is really something to pay attention to when it comes to live performancea in bands that perform a lot.  We've all been there when the singer, at the last moment, decides they need to drop a song down a full step or two.  For the Helix Floor or LT that's no longer a problem as long as you're not using spillover.  But it's almost impractical for the most part on a single DSP unit like the Pod Go or HX Stomp without some serious surgery or restructuring of the preset.  It's not the answer to all questions regarding changing keys, but it is a viable and useful solution in many cases and it has come in useful for my performances quite a bit since it's introduction.