Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Jtv 59 Pod 500 Dt 50 Acoustic Sounds

I have owned this set up for a few months and need a little direction….The songs that i write have acoustic guitar and electric in them ( 1 guitar player) i am having a tough time getting a nice acoustic sound out of my DT50,pod 500,and variax. I always have to set up an amp in the pod 500 which when i need the volume that i need it sounds like an electric guitar on clean am i way off base any ideas. also i need to go from an acoustic sound and with the flip of the 500 foot pedal go to a more distorted marshall type sound but i get a nasty noticeable click to do so any ideas???    Thank You 

I hate to break it to you  - but the DT-50  is not very good as a clean , non distorting, wide frequency response amplification system for accurately reproducing acoustic guitar tones.

Instead, the Line-6 L2M StageSource Powered PA Cabs that connect to the POD HD500 using L6 Link is the suggested approach gear wise for best sounding Acoustic Guitar Models with the JTV Variax / HD500 combo.

http://line6.com/stagesource-l2m/  

file_r16903.jpeg

The DT50 Tube Amp with its Celestion Guitar speakers  excels at Traditional Electric Guitar tone for Blues, Rock, Metal  - and like a typical guitar amp, it can only reproduce 65-7kHz  - not full range 20-20kHz as the Line6 L2M StageSource Powered PA Cab  -thanks to the High Frequency Horn -  missing in the DT-50 Tube Guitar Amp 

• Upvote 2

I have owned this set up for a few months and need a little direction….The songs that i write have acoustic guitar and electric in them ( 1 guitar player) i am having a tough time getting a nice acoustic sound out of my DT50,pod 500,and variax. I always have to set up an amp in the pod 500 which when i need the volume that i need it sounds like an electric guitar on clean am i way off base any ideas. also i need to go from an acoustic sound and with the flip of the 500 foot pedal go to a more distorted marshall type sound but i get a nasty noticeable click to do so any ideas??? Thank You

If you're running 2.0 on your JTV, that click you are hearing when you switch patches came as a free gift with the firmware update. Everybody hates it, but it ain't going anywhere until the next update...maybe, if they feel like addressing it. There are other threads discussing it somewhere on here. Rolling back to 1.9 gets rid of it...at the moment thats the only fix I know of.

As for the acoustic sounds...its a long wait for a train that ain't coming. No electric guitar amp is gonna be convincing. They just dont't have the frequency response.

• Upvote 2

As cruisinon2 says - the click is present with JTV firmware v2.0 and rolling back to v1.9 does get rid of it.

I have a support ticket open with L6 - they tell me they can't reproduce it - even though many on the forum have reported the same problem - so they want me to upload an audio/video demonstrating the problem for them to pass on to the engineers - however I have not had time to re-install v2.0 to reproduce the problem, also I am reticent to do so because v2.0 firmware install seems to be flakey and it may require several reflashes to work and then I will have to roll back to v1.9 because I just cannot stand the click!  Also, as many people have reported it, I don't really see why they need an audio to prove it exists - and it s the same type of click everyone gets when they switch to the acoustic bank anyway - so why can't they just forward to the engineers for research and fixing?    Beats me.

Anyway - if you are experiencing the issue and have got some spare time and don't mind uploading a demo recording of the problem then that will be most helpful and I can then point L6 at the hard evidence that they have asked for.   Thanks in advance - but don't worry if you can't oblige.

:)

• Upvote 1

As cruisinon2 says - the click is present with JTV firmware v2.0 and rolling back to v1.9 does get rid of it.

I have a support ticket open with L6 - they tell me they can't reproduce it - even though many on the forum have reported the same problem - so they want me to upload an audio/video demonstrating the problem for them to pass on to the engineers -

I believe "rubbish" is the term our friends across the pond would use in a situation such as this. If you're actually playing mid-patch change, it's as clear as day. If you mute the strings, then switch, it's less obvious, but still there. I suppose it depends on exactly  how they're "testing" it...

I hate to break it to you  - but the DT-50  is not very good as a clean , non distorting, wide frequency response amplification system for accurately reproducing acoustic guitar tones.

Instead, the Line-6 L2M StageSource Powered PA Cabs that connect to the POD HD500 using L6 Link is the suggested approach gear wise for best sounding Acoustic Guitar Models with the JTV Variax / HD500 combo.

http://line6.com/stagesource-l2m/  

file_r16903.jpeg

The DT50 Tube Amp with its Celestion Guitar speakers  excels at Traditional Electric Guitar tone for Blues, Rock, Metal  - and like a typical guitar amp, it can only reproduce 65-7kHz  - not full range 20-20kHz as the Line6 L2M StageSource Powered PA Cab  -thanks to the High Frequency Horn -  missing in the DT-50 Tube Guitar Amp 

I do have the L2M stage source speakers and yes they sound awesome plugged directly in to them so the next question i have is can i run the DT50,pod500,itv and the L2M all together with the pod somehow switching off the dt when i click a switch on my 500 the vise versa back to the dt 50 from the L2 with the click of a switch??? Thank You

I have a support ticket open with L6 - they tell me they can't reproduce it - even though many on the forum have reported the same problem - so they want me to upload an audio/video demonstrating the problem for them to pass on to the engineers - however I have not had time to re-install v2.0 to reproduce the problem, also I am reticent to do so because v2.0 firmware install seems to be flakey and it may require several reflashes to work and then I will have to roll back to v1.9 because I just cannot stand the click!  Also, as many people have reported it, I don't really see why they need an audio to prove it exists - and it s the same type of click everyone gets when they switch to the acoustic bank anyway - so why can't they just forward to the engineers for research and fixing?    Beats me.

Anyway - if you are experiencing the issue and have got some spare time and don't mind uploading a demo recording of the problem then that will be most helpful and I can then point L6 at the hard evidence that they have asked for.   Thanks in advance - but don't worry if you can't oblige.

:)

If you're running 2.0 on your JTV, that click you are hearing when you switch patches came as a free gift with the firmware update. Everybody hates it, but it ain't going anywhere until the next update...maybe, if they feel like addressing it. There are other threads discussing it somewhere on here. Rolling back to 1.9 gets rid of it...at the moment thats the only fix I know of.

As for the acoustic sounds...its a long wait for a train that ain't coming. No electric guitar amp is gonna be convincing. They just dont't have the frequency response.

I will try going back to 1.9 and see what happens…yes the clicks ridiculous in a live situation……Thank You

I do have the L2M stage source speakers and yes they sound awesome plugged directly in to them so the next question i have is can i run the DT50,pod500,itv and the L2M all together with the pod somehow switching off the dt when i click a switch on my 500 the vise versa back to the dt 50 from the L2 with the click of a switch??? Thank You

Yes, you can.  Just hook them up with L6 link: POD > DT > L2.  You can edit the patches in the POD on page 9/10 (L6 Link Audio) to use DT and/or L2. You can mute the one you don't want to use.  The only issue I know of is that the speaker mode of the L2 won't be saved in the patch if you're hooked up via a DT, but if you're just using the L2 for acoustic tones then leave it set to the Acoustic Guitar speaker mode.

Yes, you can.  Just hook them up with L6 link: POD > DT > L2.  You can edit the patches in the POD on page 9/10 (L6 Link Audio) to use DT and/or L2. You can mute the one you don't want to use.  The only issue I know of is that the speaker mode of the L2 won't be saved in the patch if you're hooked up via a DT, but if you're just using the L2 for acoustic tones then leave it set to the Acoustic Guitar speaker mode.

Very cool i will try this hook up tomorrow !! Thank You

How does the L2 do with crunch tones compared to the DT25?

They are very good, but personally I don't think they are quite as good as you can get with the DT25.  I use my L3t for acoustic models and switch to the DT for electric, which is why the L6 link issue I described above doesn't really bother me too much.