Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Bricked my Stomp Day 1

Ratch99

Well, I got the my HX Stomp today and set it all up. Downloaded the latest HX Edit for Mac which immediately prompted me to update the Stomp to firmware 3.5.

i did so and about 5 mins in got an error on HX Edit. It asked me to switch it off and on and try again. I did so - and now I have a messed up screen and no sound whatsoever. All the buttons and switches still work but that’s moot.

E80D7FE2-AEAF-412F-A2BA-553F9C59F31D.thumb.jpeg.5d57096f840f373c65933f0bee33d660.jpeg

62C8CEFF-2AB5-4BBE-AE5E-56E7E5EFC379.thumb.jpeg.ef81df6205fc0eafde34a8446ab89bd0.jpeg

As it’s firmware, I assume there’s no way to go back?

What now?

Assuming that you are NOT plugged into a HUB:

When HX Edit was updated it also installed the latest version of the L6 Updater.

Re-do the update using the L6 Updater.

Be sure to follow ALL of the directions EXACTLY, including the post-installation manual reboot.

If you ARE plugged into a hub (L6 is VERY specific about NOT doing that!), plug your device directly into a port on your MAC.

If your MAC doesn't have a compatible port I guess you do whatever MAC people do in that case.

• Upvote 1

When I installed HX Edit nothing else was installed. I have no L6 updater. Is that a separate app?

I’m not using a hub. My MacBook Pro still sees the HX Stomp as an audio interface over USB as does the HX Edit software.

But there’s no sound and the screen is illegible.

I’ve tried to restore it from HX Edit and manually reset but nothing.

Super annoying tbh as I didn’t get to do a single thing with it.

On 3/2/2023 at 5:13 PM, Ratch99 said:

When I installed HX Edit nothing else was installed.

On Windows it installs a few things... MAC, I don't know. 

Don't worry.... go the Line 6 website and download the Updater for your system. 

There are many instructions available about unbricking an HX with updates so I won't repeat them here. 

If this is a new unit and you can't get it updated... you should have warranty. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/2/2023 at 4:13 PM, Ratch99 said:

When I installed HX Edit nothing else was installed. I have no L6 updater. Is that a separate app?

I’m not using a hub. My MacBook Pro still sees the HX Stomp as an audio interface over USB as does the HX Edit software.

But there’s no sound and the screen is illegible.

I’ve tried to restore it from HX Edit and manually reset but nothing.

Super annoying tbh as I didn’t get to do a single thing with it.

I told you how to fix it. You seem to have tried everything but.

On 3/2/2023 at 4:07 PM, rd2rk said:

Re-do the update using the L6 Updater.

Be sure to follow ALL of the directions EXACTLY, including the post-installation manual reboot.

• Downvote 1

The updater available is for OS X and is compatible with:

Mac OS X, macOS Sierra, macOS High Sierra, macOS Mojave, macOS Catalina, macOS Big Sur, macOS Monterey, macOS Ventura

If you don't have one of those you'll need to open a support ticket.

Good Luck!

We do know and we do mostly agree; the download page is sloppy and unnecessarily convoluted, and the front page OS indication is stuck on old gen operative systems. Yes, the firmware update procedure it can be a pain in the arse and can still randomly go wrong for some unclear reason, even for veteran users (like me, and happened more than once). But it is what it is, and L6 doesn't give a damn of what we say over here....so take a big breath, and follow the above indications. Good luck! :)

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/3/2023 at 11:00 AM, SaschaFranck said:

Did you read the update instructions? That was to be expected.

Hi,

I just double checked the Release Notes for 3.50, because I understood that the “Boot Failure - Entered Update Mode” was to be expected, but the notes specify that this is on HELIX/RACK/LT only.

This is also the case with v2.80 when the Core was modified.

Awesome that you're back in business!  That must have been scary. 

The main advice in all of this, take it from a computer programmer:

Never ever update your firmware or completely re-do your setup right before an important gig.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  With any firmware update, give yourself ample time to make sure there are no issues whatsoever.  The last thing you need is for your HX product or any other piece of equipment to give you unexpected results live.  I've seen too many posts here where somebody decided to upgrade right before a gig and [temporarily] bricked their Helix... and then they are trying to desperately fix it.

For example, I was quick to jump on the 3.15 bandwagon, but soon realized that there were serious bugs that affected bypass behavior of my wah pedal... Those bugs were not addressed until (supposedly) 3.50.  So I quickly reverted back because I did not feel like dealing with various workarounds and other headaches involved. 

So, want stability and expected results? Stay away from the very last update, unless you have test-driven everything and you are confident every single preset still works. ... that if you change one preset, it does not mess up other presets (which was the issue for me on 3.15).  There are always bugs that pop up where the existing behavior of various blocks, or other things changed between firmware versions. 

No matter what change I make, I always re-test every single preset to triple-check everything still works correctly. 

On 3/3/2023 at 8:50 AM, datacommando said:

Don’t worry - he was cross posting the same issue here:

Ah, I missed that one, as his first post was concerning stuff of which I know nothing.

Sometimes it takes a village... ;-)

• Haha 1

With some gear you can just run a firmware update again to solve a problem, but other gear will get bricked if any error occurs. I HIGHLY recommend an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) for your computer. Power glitches happen more frequently than most people realize. A UPS can usually deliver power for long enough to complete a firmware update if it's covering only your computer and a monitor.

Also, if you have SSDs in your computer, they're very sensitive to power issues. Operating without a UPS is a gamble regarding the life of your SSDs.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1