Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Antares Auto-Tune for Guitar Pedalboard

ColonelForbin

Another competitor in this market is the (yet to be released) Antares Auto Tune for Guitar Pedalboard. Has some weird options, like, strum your guitar, tell it to "tune", and it pitch corrects the guitar without having to physically tune the notes on the guitar. I still can't wrap my head around that, but it's a cool idea.

They are calling that feature String Tune. There is another feature that is called Solid-Tune Intonation. And it also has alternate tuning and virtual capo; will be interesting to see how this compares to the JTV and the Boss GP-10, etc.

"Less-than-perfect intonation muddies your guitar's tone. But by using our new Solid-Tuneâ„¢ Intonation system, an Auto-Tune for Guitar equipped guitar constantly monitors the precise pitch of each individual string and makes any corrections necessary to ensure that every note of every chord and riff is always in tune, regardless of variables like finger position or pressure or physical limitations of the instrument. "

"With Auto-Tune for Guitar, tuning your guitar is a breeze. You can tune all six strings instantly with the push of a button (no motors or gears required). Simply strum the strings, trigger String Tune via a button or an external controller, and your guitar is instantly in tune. It’s really that simple.

Now you can focus on your performance. No more fumbling to fix tuning in the middle of a song. And whenever there's a need to quickly and reliably tune your guitar - a quick push of a button and you’re instantly in tune."

"Using Auto-Tune's world-standard pitch detection and extremely high-quality pitch shifting, Auto-Tune for Guitar lets you quickly select from among familiar alternate tunings as well as dramatic new tunings that would be physically impossible without Auto-Tune for Guitar.

From popular tunings like drop D, open D, open G, and DADGAD to previously-impossible tunings like six-string bass, split bass/guitar (i.e., just the bottom string shifted an octave down), twelve string, and the best polyphonic octaver you've ever heard, Auto-Tune for Guitar gives you access to virtually any tuning you can imagine, along with some you may have never imagined. All without the need to stop and physically retune or swap guitars."

Tunings

Baritone Seven String  

Twelve String Octaver      

Bass Bass Split    

DADGAD  

Drop D

Double Drop D      

Open E

Open G  

Open A

Open D      

Looks interesting... My first reaction is that that's a huge pedal to be dedicated solely to tuning and guitar modeling. There's no other effects or amp modeling there, so I guess you'd have that on the floor beside your pedalboard or modeler. That gets to be a lot of floor real estate.

Looks interesting... My first reaction is that that's a huge pedal to be dedicated solely to tuning and guitar modeling. There's no other effects or amp modeling there, so I guess you'd have that on the floor beside your pedalboard or modeler. That gets to be a lot of floor real estate.

Yeah, it does seem like a rather large board! Seems like it's been a work in progress for them, the release date has been sliding back all year,and not a peep on the price point.

I noticed they have that technology inside a Peavey guitar; it's $500.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--PEVAT200

They also seem to have a 'luthier kit'

http://www.autotuneforguitar.com/products/products.php?category=Luthier_Custom_Kits_7

Definitely intriguing options coming through the 13 pin world; that Boss GP-10 does some cool stuff giving you the option to send all six strings to your DAW via USB, each to it's own track in the recording software.

I can see the Line6 gear that will eventually come along being on par with these types of multi-string processing. I think that the 13 pin gear gives you a different result than the piezo style which the JTV utilizes. Pros and Cons for each I would guess; I have no complaints about the JTV model qualities, they are all outstanding. Just different than the Boss / Roland stuff.

I have read people saying the 13 pin piezo guitars, like Godin, don't always work as well with the GR-55 / GP-10, etc; something to do with the frequency ranges of the piezo vs the hex. I haven't studied up enough to know all the technical specifics!

Maybe i'm a troglodyte, but if you can't tune your guitar and keep it in tune, maybe you should learn that basic skill instead of a bandaid solution like a pedal.

On a totally unrelated topic; check out the Jimmy Castor Bunch song "Troglodyte - Cave Man"!! :)

Yeah, I hear ya; AutoTune for Guitar does beg the comparison to singers like Britany Spears and One Direction, who cannot perform or record without vocal autotune.. I like the concept, but again, as you said - there is a reason we pay luthiers (or learn to do it ourselves!) so our guitars are properly intonated and setup, and we learn how to play "in tune". Bending notes, in tune - whereas this gadget claims to do all that for you. Interesting, for sure. But, could be a disaster for guitarists who would learn to play out of tune and carelessly, since the magic box makes you "in tune" no matter what..

On a totally unrelated topic; check out the Jimmy Castor Bunch song "Troglodyte - Cave Man"!! :)

Yeah, I hear ya; AutoTune for Guitar does beg the comparison to singers like Britany Spears and One Direction, who cannot perform or record without vocal autotune.. I like the concept, but again, as you said - there is a reason we pay luthiers (or learn to do it ourselves!) so our guitars are properly intonated and setup, and we learn how to play "in tune". Bending notes, in tune - whereas this gadget claims to do all that for you. Interesting, for sure. But, could be a disaster for guitarists who would learn to play out of tune and carelessly, since the magic box makes you "in tune" no matter what..

I like the idea for being able to drop-d during a cover set but other than that I do agree not needed (never been a big fan of seeing the headstock tuners during a performance either mind you)  :)

Loved that tune - one day a "what's in your mp3 player" game would be interesting!

-B

• 2 months later...

Interesting, no word yet on this thing, though it's definitely "real", there are photos of the test peeps using one..

For those looking to distract themselves with G.A.S. related issues, the manual is here:

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13067.0

http://www.snapagogo.com/uploads/source/3402014/1417989490_633926875_20141206_164018.jpg

I have played the 1st article of Antares Floor unit

1417989490_633926875_20141206_164018.jpg

- it will be on Display during 2015 Winter NAMM - contact Antares for details 

Meanwhile the ATG-1 Floor pedal owners manual can be downloaded here:

It has Breathtaking clarity, totally pro, highest dynamic range  - no need for a "N.S." Noise Suppressor  as required for many of the Roland Boss COSM Guitar Models .

I can say I'm blown away with the ATG-1's detailed PU Modeling, Acoustic Guitar emulations, and many other features, real time controls -   High dynamic Range and its incredibly pro build quality. The Expression pedal mechanism has nothing to wear out and built like a tank    

More details Coming as soon as I'm authorized to talk about it.

While demoing the ATG-1,  I got lost in composition ideas  - to be able to change the pitch / tuning / added 4th or 5th,  upper octave / lower octave - change the order of the 12 strings ( emulate the real Ricky electric 12 string and have Martin Acoustic guitar or a fingerstyle modes all with direct foot accessibility and / or Ipad control. with a Large clear Legible LCD display! I used my Godin xTSA with RMC Piezo, and the ATG-1's ability to go from vintage spank Strat to Dano Lipstick rockabilly, to Satriani Humbucker emulation  -feeding ATG-1 output into my Kemper or the Guitar In on Boss GP-10,or  a pair of real tube amps ( '66 Vox AC30 Top Boost and '66 Vibrolux Reverb)  as a test for stereo with each string panned in a stereo field array - amazing.

This will be a great product in 2015 .   Look for news during 2015 Winter NAMM - they will have an example for demo at the Hall Leonard booth, and contact Antares for invite to the Antares demo room suite at the Marriott 

http://www.autotuneforguitar.com/

1419356838_1738184558_ANtares2.PNG

I have played the 1st article of Antares Floor unit

- it will be on Display during 2015 Winter NAMM - contact Antares for details 

Meanwhile the ATG-1 Floor pedal owners manual can be downloaded here:

Sweet!! Looks really cool; will be interesting to see how this fits into the grand scheme of things. It does guitar modeling and pickup modeling, and of course the various alternate tunings, pitch shifting and the auto-tune / tuning correction. Very intriguing..

Thanks for the info Steve!

• 1 month later...

It's interesting...but I'll pass. At the end of the day, it's just another electronic doo-dad that can fail at the least oportune moment. I've got enough DSP going on as it is...and most stuff that promises "perfect" x, y, or z, turns out to be somewhat less than perfect. A properly set-up and intonated guitar won't have tuning issues, assuming that the strings aren't old enough to vote...

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Color me meh.. The company that ruined the music world for real singers now moves into the guitar market. It's a cute little gizmo, but sounds pretty phony in the vid. Plus, you have to buy another pickup system to use it. I can appreciate any company trying to make stuff easier for guitarists, but eventually the dumbing down of the world will have to end.

Although, imagine the insane bends you could produce by not bothering to tighten up your strings to pitch.

but eventually the dumbing down of the world will have to end.

Although, imagine the insane bends you could produce by not bothering to tighten up your strings to pitch.

Unfortunately, there's no end in sight...eventually, a room temperature IQ will be the new "normal".

Seems sorta like a Variax break out box.

The function to tune correct an out of tune guitar seems self defeating and a waste of DSP.

Unfortunately, there's no end in sight...eventually, a room temperature IQ will be the new "normal".

The I'll finally be a genius!!

Your statement reminds me of the movie Idiocracy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just read about this and I think the Solid Tune is the real gem... it's something I -wish- Line6 would implement.

Frankly, I have ALWAYS hated the intonation on most guitars. I am constantly futzing with tuning depending on the key I'm playing in and... like the guy in their video... I consciously avoid certain parts of the neck in certain keys because I know they'll sound 'sour' unless I re-tune for that key.

I've tried fanned frets and Buzz Feiten and they sorta work, but they are no panacea.

I own several Variaxes and I only use them occasionally. But if they solved this problem... if the intonation thing -really- worked? I'd pay real money for an upgrade to the software/circuit board.

I hope Line6 reads this. It may not be a 'sexy' feature, but it's no joke... and it's certainly not an 'I can't tune my guitar' deal. Playing in tune (especially with horns) has -always- been a problem for the guitar.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I just read about this and I think the Solid Tune is the real gem... it's something I -wish- Line6 would implement.

Frankly, I have ALWAYS hated the intonation on most guitars. I am constantly futzing with tuning depending on the key I'm playing in and... like the guy in their video... I consciously avoid certain parts of the neck in certain keys because I know they'll sound 'sour' unless I re-tune for that key.

I've tried fanned frets and Buzz Feiten and they sorta work, but they are no panacea.

I own several Variaxes and I only use them occasionally. But if they solved this problem... if the intonation thing -really- worked? I'd pay real money for an upgrade to the software/circuit board.

I hope Line6 reads this. It may not be a 'sexy' feature, but it's no joke... and it's certainly not an 'I can't tune my guitar' deal. Playing in tune (especially with horns) has -always- been a problem for the guitar.

I totally forgot about this thing! Just noticed Sweetwater now has them in stock.. $699

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ATG-1

ATG-1-large.jpg