Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

No Support - Why I won't buy another Variax even though I love them

Geez Cruini, since when you become such a fanboy??

Did you had an old gen. Variax? The cheapest model (300) was better constructed than the jtv 69.. No knobs were loose or falling down. no strings go to electronic, no strings fall from the fretboard... Many things were better constructed... What tend to fail most was rge piezo, that JTV has improve (little). Regarding my 300 or 700, both are in perfect working condition and no problems until now (10 years of my 700).

Bought the 69 and all mishaps happened... I am here from 2007 (with different name) and I see that construction complains are more often than what was for the old Variaxes.

Clay is trying to explain the lack of quality control (that is true) , and in the end, his voice and people that complain like him are the one that make the product to improve... And since he bought this product, he has every right to complain about it if something is wrong.

Peace.

Call me what you like. The whining gets old. And in my experience, complaining never improves anything. It just leads to more complaining. But go ahead, I surrender...you guys win.

Call me what you like. The whining gets old. And in my experience, complaining never improves anything. It just leads to more complaining. But go ahead, I surrender...you guys win.

Actually, suggesting Line 6 to fix things that they have the power to fix does do something. We have the right to complain about getting an inadequate guitar.

• Upvote 1

Round and round we go...

As intricate as the JTVs are...it's not the space shuttle. Wouldn't a better question be "How likely am I to need service on the thing in the first place?"

Survey says: Not very...

ummm, actually, there were numerous issues with the JTV's when they first came out. Both with the 69's and the 59's. So, the track record would indicate that there will likely be need for service in the future, with later generations of gear. If you need proof, there are plenty of threads here going back years, documenting issues.

I own a JTV 69 and like it a lot but.....I had to send it back to Line6 for a problem with the bridge. They fixed it and life goes on. You shouldn't minimize the OP's feelings on this. It's a legitimate concern and I suspect the OP posted in order to give Line6 a message that they need to work on customer service centers or they will begin losing customers.

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

Just a bit of an update... Thanks, Line 6 for supplying details in this thread of a third party service center that's in the same country as me. I will follow that up and let the forum know how I go on (although at the moment, touch wood, I have no technical problems with the JTV).

It's interesting that out of all the posts, this is the only one that suggested a solution for my potential problem.

For the other posters, thanks also for your contributions. Seems I'm not the only person who is confused by the message from a company that produces a great but technically complex product, markets it worldwide, but provides little or no support for any customers that buy the product outside the US.

I'll probably look to Roland when it comes time to replace or repair the JTV. I don't think their product is quite as good, but the service backup seems better.

In the meantime, if anyone has any experience to share about getting Variaxes fixed in the UK or Europe, I will welcome any input.

it was also the only post from the support manager that works for line6....

as in the only person likely to have that information handy....

so it's not that "interesting" since you posted the question on a forum full of users without such knowledge.

if you ever have a direct question for Line6 you should open a support ticket or pick up the phone.

http://line6.com/company/contact/

the forum is useful for gathering ideas and experiences of other users.

It's interesting that out of all the posts, this is the only one that suggested a solution for my potential problem.

• Upvote 2

I will point out, again, that in your initial post you did not ask for any help or information. You simply expressed your frustration and said goodbye. The main reason that the responses did not offer solutions is that you did not seem to want any. In fact, if you meant what you wrote, you were no longer going to be around to read the responses.
  • Upvote 1

I'll probably look to Roland when it comes time to replace or repair the JTV. I don't think their product is quite as good, but the service backup seems better.

Hmm, well apart from the fact that I've never found the COSM system that Roland keep sticking with particularly good, you'll find that the Roland's UK office is just a sales and distribution place, the servicing as far as I know is not done on-site anymore (and hasn't been for some time) and is handled by approved third party engineers.

So no different to the Line 6 business model really. I'm afraid this is how everything is going in the UK and rest of the world.

• Upvote 2

Hmm, well apart from the fact that I've never found the COSM system that Roland keep sticking with particularly good, you'll find that the Roland's UK office is just a sales and distribution place, the servicing as far as I know is not done on-site anymore (and hasn't been for some time) and is handled by approved third party engineers.

So no different to the Line 6 business model really. I'm afraid this is how everything is going in the UK and rest of the world.

Yeah, don't get why they keep using technology over a decade old, meanwhile every other company out there adapts to new technology to improve their modeling and products. They do have some really good products, but a lot of them are hit and miss.

Just a bit of an update... Thanks, Line 6 for supplying details in this thread of a third party service center that's in the same country as me. I will follow that up and let the forum know how I go on (although at the moment, touch wood, I have no technical problems with the JTV).

For the other posters, thanks also for your contributions. Seems I'm not the only person who is confused by the message from a company that produces a great but technically complex product, markets it worldwide, but provides little or no support for any customers that buy the product outside the US.

I'll probably look to Roland when it comes time to replace or repair the JTV. I don't think their product is quite as good, but the service

In the meantime, if anyone has any experience to share about getting Variaxes fixed in the UK or Europe, I will welcome any input.

Dont be too sure about that. 20 years ago a Roland service tech in LA old me the problem I was having doing basic sequencing with my $1100 GR-1 guitar synth was possibly all in my head.Three phone calls on my dime and three days later a technician told me the trith. And that was that the unit did not do everything the manual said it could . It did not send all the midi information down the 13 pin cable as the manual said it did. Roland may have more service centers but you better have a good backup if you give it to them as you wont see it for about three months if you are lucky lol! I had a Roland VG strat for a couple of years. My Variax 500 kills it in every way. The build quality was good but the tones were poor. I own 2 GR55s. I also have a GR20 and have owned a VG8 and a lot of other Roland stuff.It is made very well yes. I just received a mint condition Variax 500 and I cant believe what a resonant instrument it is . Plays great! Nice tones.Looking at a JTV for myself now. I hope the OP gets this sorted out. I guarantee you that Line 6 will do a lot more than Roland would to make it right.

• Upvote 1