Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Loving new Models !!!!!

sosmusic

Not yet :(I prefer wide, flat frets (jumbo). My bass came with some small fender style frets. That is the reason I am refreting.

Unfortunately last time I did this on my guitar (same luthier) took about 1 and 1/2 months!

As for you friend duncan, cosmetics is not a problem for frets. ;) If they are sharp or not constant, resulting in fret buzz (not from setup!) small decay of notes, breaking string at the same position every time, then it is time to visit a luthier. If you are lucky, with a small lima he can fix it. If not, needs refreting.

Micro Mesh polishing clothe is a good way to clean and remove the dents without cost for your fret.

Regarding amps, I found that 5150 is the new fav. of metalheads on forum, and before that the Mesa. That is the reason I choose these 2. Anyway, the results you listen was not post processed and non EQ was used at all.

Hope you found something useful here, take care 

Aris.

@duncan

• Upvote 1

I feel sorry for todays youth. If they can't learn it in five minutes on youtube, they give up.

Combine an attention span brought to you by Playstation, with an educational system that only teaches them how to take an endless series of standardized tests, rather than critical thinking skills, what do we expect?

• Upvote 3

I liked the tone from the first half, the 5150. It's somewhat bright sounding, but it's also has a unique grittiness to it, which is what I like. The second half, the mesa, seems a little too distant and dark, doesn't sound like it would fit well in a mix.

Did you get your bass back? By the way, how do you know when it needs re-fretting? The frets on my jem are visibly dented, but still works ok.

I liked the tone from the first half, the 5150. It's somewhat bright sounding, but it's also has a unique grittiness to it, which is what I like. The second half, the mesa, seems a little too distant and dark, doesn't sound like it would fit well in a mix.

Did you get your bass back? By the way, how do you know when it needs re-fretting? The frets on my jem are visibly dented, but still works ok.

??

By the way, how do you know when it needs re-fretting? The frets on my jem are visibly dented, but still works ok.

It needs new frets when there isn't enough meat left on them to grind out those dents you're seeing. At the very least, it sounds like you need a grind and polish. If you let it go too far, you'll eventually have intonation problems...the open strings will be in tune, but some fretted notes will end up a little flat, others a little sharp depending on which side of the fret the dents slope towards. Chords in certain positions will become a mess.

When you're ready for a re-fret, consider stainless frets. The job will be more expensive, and a lot of luthiers won't do it, because the frets are many times harder than conventional ones and they're a pain in the arse to work with, but you'll never have to do it again. They're basically maintenence free. You'll wear out before they will.

Also bending notes is effortless...it's like playing on glass. Surface of the frets is many times smoother than conventional ones. I've only got one guitar with the stainless frets, but every time I switch to another axe without them, it feels like I'm dragging the strings across sand paper. Huge difference. Gonna convert them all as necessary...I'd do it sooner if money was no object.

• Upvote 2

It needs new frets when there isn't enough meat left on them to grind out those dents you're seeing. At the very least, it sounds like you need a grind and polish. If you let it go too far, you'll eventually have intonation problems...the open strings will be in tune, but some fretted notes will end up a little flat, others a little sharp depending on which side of the fret the dents slope towards. Chords in certain positions will become a mess.

When you're ready for a re-fret, consider stainless frets. The job will be more expensive, and a lot of luthiers won't do it, because the frets are many times harder than conventional ones and they're a pain in the arse to work with, but you'll never have to do it again. They're basically maintenence free. You'll wear out before they will.

Also bending notes is effortless...it's like playing on glass. Surface of the frets is many times smoother than conventional ones. I've only got one guitar with the stainless frets, but every time I switch to another axe without them, it feels like I'm dragging the strings across sand paper. Huge difference. Gonna convert them all as necessary...I'd do it sooner if money was no object.

Thanks for the most informative response. Something to think about instead of an upcoming modeler, either from Line 6 or Fractal's AX8 at the beginning of October.

Back to the topic as I could go on and on about frets for days.

Finally played some new amps at low volume through my older Atomic Reactor Powered Wedge that I have not used for about 1.5 years.

Tones are quite good and later today my oldest son will play one of my strats through this rig while I tweak and level patches.So far so good! I am starting a new job that will require killer tones direct and use IEMs for monitors so these new amps will be very helpful!

I've been running the new Shiva preamp with my DT25 and it is simply brilliant...  By itself its nice but change the cab and mic and holy crap, it just gets better...  add a touch of compressor, a little analog delay and reverb... wow... 

adding the Red Witch distortion from my Zoom MS100BT in the FX loop in front of the Shiva is pure magic.

I play in about 6 different bands.I am the first call "sub" guy in my area.My main trio is called Wild Hare.I also play in a band called Sugar that put up a bunch of youtube stuff recently.Sugar is a soul/r & b band with a female singer . I don't purposely shoot video of myself but lots of people do at these gigs I play at. I am not on Facebook or anything like that so probably looking up the band Sugar out of Central California would be best.I will try to see if any of the bands I work with might be able to point me to a link or something.

Thanks for asking I really should be more serious about that kind of thing.If you really want to hear some things I have recorded look up the band Follys Pool and the album Out Of A Dream.They have youtube videos too.

Sugar.... Odd they chose the name of a pretty famous other band (Bob Mould from Husker Du).....

But I'll definitely check you out, love your posts.

You know I never even thought about that Husker connection.The band was named by the singer and drummer neither of which would know anything about Mr. Mould.I also do an acoustic duo 2 or 3 times a month with the singer.I will have to aske her if she knows about "Sugar".

Thanks for asking I really should be more serious about that kind of thing.If you really want to hear some things I have recorded look up the band Follys Pool and the album Out Of A Dream.They have youtube videos too.

Nice work! was that recorded with the POD?  Its up on Google Play...