Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Just received Helix. Expression pedal feels stiff

Dylanguitar

Just got my Helix in the mail today. The expression pedal feels somewhat stiff. The action is way stiffer than my x3 or any of my standalone wah type pedals. 

Is this normal to the Helix? Is there a way to manually adjust it so it works a bit more easily?

Thanks!

Dylan

I was disappointed with the mechanics of the expression pedal also. Found it very rough. Although you can adjust the tension, I found it's either too loose or too tight, with no in-between. Thanks to forum member ice9mike, he found a way to fix this: http://line6.com/support/topic/16433-exp-squeaks-when-i-put-my-foot-on-it-to-use-it/?p=127929. I did this, it's easy enough to do. Just a lot of small screws to remove. I used chapstick for the lubricant. It makes a night/day difference.

But, if you don't feel comfortable removing the bottom plate of Helix, then don't.

• 1 month later...

Out of the box my pedal was noisy and tight too. I found that the adjustment is very course and micro amounts of turning on the hex bolt go a long way (most likely course threads on the bolt?). I went ahead and went a bit over loose (floppy pedal) and VERY SLOWLY worked my way back to the tension I wanted. I have it where I want it now and the noise is a bit better. I'm gonna leave it alone and see how it goes. Live playing it's not an issue - but in the studio, running direct, it might become one?

Maybe Line-6 will read this and re-evaluate its design or settings for changes on the production line. Or maybe not   :P

But since you do have "External controller pedal input options" just use the stiff "built-in" pedal as an overall volume pedal and use the more accurate feeling "Mission" external pedal (you did buy a Mission pedal, right?) for Wah etc etc...

• 5 years later...

There's a Mission Line 6 pedal that is only for the Helix Rack and one that will work fine with Helix floor and most other Line 6 units. The difference is the toe switch. It requires a separate input for the switch on/off which Helix floor does not have. For a unit like this where they thought of SO MUCH that users would want, seems a pretty big oversight to me.  

BUT...not an issue. You should be able to configure your external expression pedal to behave like auto-on.

23 minutes ago, johnnyvlee said:

There's a Mission Line 6 pedal that is only for the Helix Rack and one that will work fine with Helix floor and most other Line 6 units. The difference is the toe switch. It requires a separate input for the switch on/off which Helix floor does not have. For a unit like this where they thought of SO MUCH that users would want, seems a pretty big oversight to me.  

BUT...not an issue. You should be able to configure your external expression pedal to behave like auto-on.

Hi, 

FYI. This was discussing the stiffness in the Helix Floor onboard pedal movement.

Not sure if you realise, but you have just made a post to a thread that has been dormant for 5 years.

• 2 years later...