Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

[DOUBT] Detune to simulate Eb when in E (half step down)

lokimoto

Hey guys,

I am having a hard time, trying to set a half step down in Helix.

Back when I had the GT100, I just set the pedal bend option and it worked just perfectly.

I could use a guitar tuned in E and play song in Eb, without having the work to tune it half step down...

Is there an option in Helix close to it? I tried to use pitch, but, it doesn't sound right at all!

Any tip is welcome!!!

Thanks!

Get a Variax...the onboard detune FX are always gonna be lackluster for polyphonic stuff. It's really intended for single-note harmonies. Even the dedicated pedals that are supposed to produce polyphonic de-tuning, aren't all that great at it.

A Variax is your best bet, as the piezo outputs are isolated, so the tracking is better...but even that design is not without it's problems.

I think the Helix sound pretty good doing 1/2 step down with distortion. I bought Glenn DeLaune's patches and some of those have a 1/2 step down and I like it.  Don't know what the settings are off hand.

However, if you want another piece of gear to do this, you could try a Whammy DT or Drop.  I recently picked up a Whammy DT for practice and like it much more than I expected.  It can drop several half steps easily.  The whammy DT also has other great detune and octave settings.  I think these work best with some distortion and as the first pedal.

• Upvote 1

I considered the Variax, but another guitar? Already have 4 and it takes too much space for me.

Also, I would like to listen to my pup's sound (Seymour Duncan Antiquities in a Strat).

I have a Fender/Roland Stratocaster G5, but in the alternate tunnings, we don't have Eb, unfortunately!

I watched some videos on Youtube and the whammy DT seems to be a really good option, but I bought Helix to downsize and buy another gear for just a couple of song, it's a waste of money in my opinion.

Probably, I will keep tuning the guitar in Eb....just a bit more of work, but it is ok...

I have it set up as the first (or second) block with the pitch shifter at -1 for both with 100% mix just like Glenn Delaune and works perfectly. I build my preset after that and assign it to a switch. Easy as pie. Look it up on youtube.

I have it set up as the first (or second) block with the pitch shifter at -1 for both with 100% mix just like Glenn Delaune and works perfectly. I build my preset after that and assign it to a switch. Easy as pie. Look it up on youtube.

Yup, First in the chain!!!

Hey guys,

I am having a hard time, trying to set a half step down in Helix.

Back when I had the GT100, I just set the pedal bend option and it worked just perfectly.

I could use a guitar tuned in E and play song in Eb, without having the work to tune it half step down...

Is there an option in Helix close to it? I tried to use pitch, but, it doesn't sound right at all!

Any tip is welcome!!!

Thanks!

Did I misunderstand your original post? Aren't you trying to achieve an Eb tuning without retuning from standard, meaning a new-school rather than old-school approach?

So, according to you, if I like the vintage stuff, it´s implicit that I must tune the guitars they way I want and abandon technology?
If that´s what you think, I must be the craziest guy on earth.....vintage guy with a helix floorboard...

Nice one mate!

• Upvote 1

Not at all. You're putting words in my mouth.  You said 'Let's wait for something from L6'. I pointed out that it's already here - the best new technology way to do exactly what you want (and more) is to use a Variax.  But you want to keep your vintage guitars and use a pedal option for detuning. I understand this fully and in no way am I suggesting that you need to abandon technology.

Helix simply does not support what you want very well. You have other options, like non-Line 6 devices (e.g. Digitech Drop) that are designed to handle polyphonic pitch shifting. If you find that none of these other options appeal to you then you're left with old school retuning while waiting hopefully for this feature to appear in Helix someday. That's not abandoning technology - that's doing your research, discovering that the available technology isn't what you want right now, and continuing to use old school methods until and unless you find something you like.

• Upvote 1