Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Midi Tempo Sync Issue

ppoceiro

Hi.

I own Helix LT with the latest firmware.

I use it with my DAW. The Helix is set to receive tempo from the DAW via midi cable connections.

It works but the issue is the tempo in Helix is not in sync with the DAW.

Sometimes the tempo is spot on and in sync.

Most of the times the tempo is correct but not in sync.

Sometimes the tempo doesn't match by 1 or 2 bpm.

Does anybody use this feature and working correctly?

Is there a workaround?

The exact same thing happened with my POD HD500X and I never got it to work.

I ended up sending MIDI CC messages of tap tempo to the pod.

It's really not that uncommon for there to be a little bit of drift or for the BPM display to not match exactly when you're syncing with MID clock. There are limitations in how precise MIDI clock can be.

What do you mean by " most of the time the tempo is correct but not in sync"? What's not in sync?

It's really not that uncommon for there to be a little bit of drift or for the BPM display to not match exactly when you're syncing with MID clock. There are limitations in how precise MIDI clock can be.

What do you mean by " most of the time the tempo is correct but not in sync"? What's not in sync?

I realize the limitations but if you have a song with the same tempo from beginning to end and helix reports 118bpm instead of 120 you'll have big drifts by the end.

How can I reduce these drifts without making tempo changes? I tried but wasn't convinced it worked. I placed more markers in the song, in the DAW with the same tempo to check if helix received that information but couldn't be sure it was...

By "most of the time the tempo is correct but not in sync" I mean that helix reports the same bpm as the DAW but with tempo LED out of sync with the metronome from the DAW and it kind of sucks because it's distracting if your playing with the metronome but keep seeing the LED out of sync.

But it's not a question of turning the LED of. I know I can do that. It's more a question of can I turn of the metronome and just look at the LED and stay in time with the band?

I just set my tempo manually in Helix to match what my DAW is set to. They don't have to be "synched" if you are not doing any mid song tempo changes. The tempo in Helix just sets the time interval for time based effects. They start timing upon articulating a note, and not based off of a "master" clock signal. 

That's interesting!

Time based effects start timing when you play a note and not in sync with the tempo led?

Never noticed that. But did noticed that even with the led out of sync from the metronome my delays and phasers sound in sync with my playing .

So I guess you're totally right!

Even so... It sucks not having the led in Helix sync with the tempo.

By the way did you tried send the tempo from the saw to helix through midi?

I noticed my helix froze when I did that and had the tempo set by snapshot....

Cheers

I'm always surprised how many people are bothered by the blinking LED. I honestly never look at it while playing live, and I've certainly never been able to use it as any sort of visual metronome. I don't possess that skill, I guess. On some pedalboards, I've had up to five different blinking LEDs going at the same, all at different rates... I just never really look at them.

• 10 months later...

Question is much seriously, that you first imagine.
I have +/- 1-2 bpm float around Master Sync Tempo from REAPER DAW. Doesn't matter - USB or MIDI sync I used to. This tempo changes non-linear in time, and Tempo chaotically jumps from 95 to 96, sometimes 2bpm steps...
Each time I have the HORRIBLE glitch with slight pitch changes of my delays repeats the sound. Like a frog in a wah, or deep modulated chorus.  It can easily ruin reamp take or make my live sound stupid.
Do anyone experience same glitches with delays? Almost every delay pedal can't change BPM without pitching already produced repeats sound. If you play ambience-rich sound, you can't ignore this aspect...

Any Ideas?...

On 7/29/2018 at 12:45 AM, TTRESHH said:

Question is much seriously, that you first imagine.
I have +/- 1-2 bpm float around Master Sync Tempo from REAPER DAW. Doesn't matter - USB or MIDI sync I used to. This tempo changes non-linear in time, and Tempo chaotically jumps from 95 to 96, sometimes 2bpm steps...
Each time I have the HORRIBLE glitch with slight pitch changes of my delays repeats the sound. Like a frog in a wah, or deep modulated chorus.  It can easily ruin reamp take or make my live sound stupid.
Do anyone experience same glitches with delays? Almost every delay pedal can't change BPM without pitching already produced repeats sound. If you play ambience-rich sound, you can't ignore this aspect...

Any Ideas?...

Hi.

Unfortunately I learned to live with the floating bpm when syncing with my DAW.

The glitches you refer I suppose have something to do with the great job they did when modeling the delays. They reproduce what you can do we a delay pedal when changing the delay times while your playing. Specially noticeable with the transistor tape or cosmos echo delays. But most if not all do it.

You have an option on global settings that affects this behavior. Not sure what the section is but there's an option for delays that you can toggle between realistic and transparent. The option realistic (or something like that) gives you those "glitches" and reproduce the realistic model of the delays. The option transparent hides those glitches.

I maybe wrong but I believe these settings also affect other time-based effects like phasers.

Try it out.  

hello for me the helix dosen't manage the tempo very well. I use midi sync with a Daw and the helix give the tempo to my other FX. And nothing work as they could do.

Use a square tremolo 1/4 and you will hear that he is not on time. The tempo is good but not the depart point. The led is blinking very strage too when you choose another snapshot she stop and blink but she blink near on the upbeat. It's not a probleme if the blink is just an infomration but for me the blink and the tempo are link so if the led is blinking like random the fx too.

I think the tempo is a big trouble on the helix we have to speak about that because line 6 has to solve it quickly.

(sorry for my bad english)

• 7 months later...

Hey hello,

i'm new to Helix stuff, and i'm afraid that i just discover that there is NO delays that i can sync to the clock (sent by my DAW) ? 

Even if the Helix is recognizing the Tempo i send from my daw, the delay just don't follow it ? You've got to "tap" the time manually ? 

please tell me that i'm wrong 

thank you for your help

1 hour ago, dampa said:

Hey hello,

i'm new to Helix stuff, and i'm afraid that i just discover that there is NO delays that i can sync to the clock (sent by my DAW) ? 

Even if the Helix is recognizing the Tempo i send from my daw, the delay just don't follow it ? You've got to "tap" the time manually ? 

please tell me that i'm wrong 

thank you for your help

You need to change the delay time parameter from milliseconds to a note value. On the unit itself, simply press the knob under that parameter, and you’ll see it switch. Delay time will now be synced with incoming MIDI clock.

• 5 months later...

I just purchased an LT and updated to 2.81. The first thing I did was dial in a 1/2 note synced ping pong delay with a long feedback, as I use this a lot. I have my LT MIDI synced to Ableton. Two things are happening

1. No matter what I have the global setting at, I still have artifacts in my delays. Authentic results in the more analog-type pitching and "transparent" results in horrible digital glitching.

2. After about the 3rd/4th repeat, the delays get out of sync. It starts getting about 1 beat too early.

The delays don't seem to do this if I just set the tempo on the Helix. I supposed I can get away with this as a workaround, but there really seems to be some kind of syncing issue. Previously I was using a TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay MIDI synced in the exact same way. The thing stayed rock solid on it's syncing with no weird artifacts