Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Amp noise - modelled or physical issue?

baldgeezer

Hi - new to the Helix and after plugging in my guitar to the input, and then cycle through different factory presets I hear varying amounts of buzz in the output. This sounds very similar to what I would hear from a physical amp so I'm assuming this is actual modelled buzz rather than a connection issue? E.g. Essex 30 has far more than Soupro. Note - I am only using headphone output so there is no potential for ground loops with external amps etc.

-Dave

To me, there are different types of noise. Buzz is something I'd normally associated with a ground loop or 60-cycle hum. Then there's hiss which is more like a white noise that you'd hear with any amp, to some extent. It could be thought of as the noise floor. On a high gain amp, you're raising the noise floor a lot, so there's generally more of that hiss. So if you're hearing more hiss with some amps compared to others, yes, that's normal.

4 hours ago, banthorpe said:

new to the Helix and after plugging in my guitar to the input, and then cycle through different factory presets I hear varying amounts of buzz in the output.

When you cycle through the tones, turn the volume on your guitar down to make sure the noise you hear is the actual model, not from your guitar. 

1 hour ago, codamedia said:

When you cycle through the tones, turn the volume on your guitar down to make sure the noise you hear is the actual model, not from your guitar. 

Plugging the guitar direct into an amp I have here results in no buzz/noise so it's definitely in the helix models

2 hours ago, banthorpe said:

Plugging the guitar direct into an amp I have here results in no buzz/noise so it's definitely in the helix models

To me what you're describing sounds normal. It's hard to know what exactly you're hearing "buzz" wise, but if the original amp has it, the model does too.

One thing I like to make sure people know about, most of the amp models have some interesting parameters meant to simulate these sounds. For example, the "hum" parameter recreates the actual hum of an amp. I'd make sure you've toyed around with the hum, bias, bias x, sag, drive, and other settings on each amp to see how they react to see if it's related to the buzz you're hearing.

Also, keep in mind that the Helix has a built in noise gate which you can activate to reduce a bunch of additional fuzziness - useful in the same way a traditional noise gate is useful.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, banthorpe said:

That doesn't tell you anything definitively.

If you are plugged into the helix and hear noise, turn down the guitar.

DID THE NOISE GO AWAY?

• NO: Then it could be the Helix
  • YES: It's your guitar... regardless of whether or not it does it with your amp. 

• 2 years later...

Hi!

I see no mention of the hum and riddle parameters.

The parameters are deliberately there to mimic the noises a tube amp produces,

but you can turn them off if you don't like the effect.

Hum is the hum coming from the powerstage and IP transformer,

Riddle is a low end buzz coming from a pushed amp when the transformers

have a hard time following up ;-)

22 minutes ago, ChristianBoddum said:

Hi!

My single coils are noisier than my double coils, and if I move around to different places in the room (or face different directions) I sometimes get different amounts of noise.  I'm around alot of electrical stuff here around my computer though.  Turning down the guitar volume, as others have mentioned, should help isolate.  In the amp parameters there are noise-like parameters like hum/ripple you can manipulate too to see effects.

On 7/24/2021 at 7:28 PM, ChristianBoddum said:

Hi!

Sorry but that's not correct,

Hum is noise at the mains frequency generally caused by grounding issues in the amp

Ripple is noise at 2x mains frequency caused by insufficient smoothing of the rectified ac from the power transformer.

Hum can also be caused by magnetic coupling between the power transformer (PT) and output transformer (OT) but that would just be bad design, there isn't an IP transformer.

Craig

Hi!

I've had a bad noise issue for a while, not coming from the amps or AC (I tested using an AC powerbank) but get this;

I just found out that 80% of the pulsating noise that was driving my crazy was coming from a Bluetooth dongle for a wireless mouse!!

Now there is still some noise/hiss to fight but it is manageable and acceptable. Phew!!