Jump to content
naturian

HX Edit (2.81) and Helix Native starting with with a "blank" screen and crash

Recommended Posts

Hey Fellas,

 

i have one major problem. I can't use HX Edit and Helix Native on my desktop computer (Win 10 1903, i5 8600k, 32 GB Ram, 1080 GTX). I gets stuck when i start both respectively it show nothing. When i connect my Helix Floor to my computer the HX Edit detects the board and shuts down immediately after.

 

I installed an older version and in works until 2.60. I guess this error is due to the login to line 6. This doesn't happen on my Lenovo E460 with Windows 10. Resetting Windows is no option for me tbh. Repair installation didn't help too. 

 

Deactivating the firewall and the anti virus service (both Windows Defener) hadn't had any effect. 

 

Do you have any hint for me how to solve this? :( I don't want to configure my Helix on my NB, because of the squishy control. 

 

Regards

Marcel

 

HX Edit.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Native is a VST plugin. It doesn't run stand-alone, it requires a DAW or other VST Host.

 

Make sure that HX Edit is the same version as the Helix. If HELIX is on 2.6, that would explain why HXEdit works up to 2.6.

Since the computer is a desktop, make sure you're connected to one of the rear USB ports, as the front ports are actually a hub (usually).

Check in Device Manager to make sure that the computer sees the Helix. 

Why do you suspect the L6 Login?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know that native is a VST. But as I said, it loads with a blank screen in studio one 4, harrison mix bus and any other vst host and I can't do anything. Same with HX Edit. It doesn't matter if the floor is connected or not. The app doesn't start properly. That's why it can't be any driver, firmware or USB problem. The old Helix editor is starting but doesn't detect the floor. And as I've seen, the login came after ver. 2.60  (the version that used to work on my PC) what supports my claim. 

 

Any further suggestions?

 

regards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2019 at 2:00 AM, naturian said:

I know that native is a VST. But as I said, it loads with a blank screen in studio one 4, harrison mix bus and any other vst host and I can't do anything. Same with HX Edit. It doesn't matter if the floor is connected or not. The app doesn't start properly. That's why it can't be any driver, firmware or USB problem. The old Helix editor is starting but doesn't detect the floor. And as I've seen, the login came after ver. 2.60  (the version that used to work on my PC) what supports my claim. 

 

Any further suggestions?

 

regards

 

Just spitballing here, you may have done this stuff already.

  1. Did you also install Native 1.81?
  2. Have you tried explicitly uninstalling all of the Line6 software before reinstalling?
  3. Have you reinstalled "HX Edit" 2.81 and checked all the boxes so that it would install the new HX Edit, drivers, and Updater? Did you follow this by updating the Helix firmware to 2.81?
  4. You said "the old Helix editor is starting". This sounds like you have the wrong version of the editor unless you were just running a test with it. Even your screenshot looks like some ancient primordial version of the Helix editor although it is hard to tell as it is mostly white screen. Again, I would uninstall before reinstalling.
  5. I don't believe your Line6 login has anything to do with the inability of HX Edit to connect to the Helix. I know that Marketplace has added a new online component to HX Edit that did not used to be there but I don't believe a login issue would cause connection problems. If that turns out to be the case please let us know. Seems extremely unlikely though. If you are saying that a problem with your Native authorization is causing the crash I can't speak to that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey HonestOpinion,

 

1. Yup. But I have forgotten to mention, that both (Native and HX Edit) have never startened "before". I tried the AAX in Pro Tools too. Same result. No GUI appears, just a black screen

2. Already did that. Even deleting the files and registry keys manually.

3. Yup, followed all the instructions.

4. I downgraded the Floor from 2.8 to 2.6 and the connection and HX edit worked. After upgrading it back to 2.8, HX Edit showed up the "blank" screen (it was more a screenshot of the recent showen screen) and crashed immediately  when I connected the floor. Disconnect every Option in the menu bar was available (not faded out in grey) but crashed to when clicking on i.e. "File/Preferences". I installed the older HX Edit/Helix Editor after deinstalling 2.80 and it seemed to work out.  

4. I have received my Floor last week and this problem appeared on the first start. This means I wasn't able to authorize my computer like I was to on my notebook. It didn't even set a token in the .prefs file. That's why I think has to do with the login screen respectively any setting on my PC

 

Sorry for not telling you what I already tried i even can't remember what I tried :'D 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, naturian said:

...

4. I downgraded the Floor from 2.8 to 2.6 and the connection and HX edit worked. After upgrading it back to 2.8, HX Edit showed up the "blank" screen (it was more a screenshot of the recent showen screen) and crashed immediately  when I connected the floor. Disconnect every Option in the menu bar was available (not faded out in grey) but crashed to when clicking on i.e. "File/Preferences". I installed the older HX Edit/Helix Editor after deinstalling 2.80 and it seemed to work out.  

4. I have received my Floor last week and this problem appeared on the first start. This means I wasn't able to authorize my computer like I was to on my notebook. It didn't even set a token in the .prefs file. That's why I think has to do with the login screen respectively any setting on my PC

 

Sorry for not telling you what I already tried i even can't remember what I tried :'D 

 

 

 

The title of your topic refers to HX 2.81 but you mention only 2.8 here.  The latest revision to 2.80 is 2.81. You mention "crashed immediately when I connected the floor." Are you physically connecting the Helix while HX Edit is already up and running? If so, not that it should crash it anyway, but I would instead connect the Helix first, turn it on, and then start HX Edit. Btw, assuming you have restarted your computer at some point.

 

Not sure what you mean by "Disconnect every Option in the menu bar was available (not faded out in grey)..."?

 

I assume you mean you have not been able to authorize your computer with Native. I would definitely resolve that just to eliminate it as a possible problem.

 

Just wanted to reiterate that you must get the versions of HX Edit, your firmware, and Native matched up if you want everything to play nicely together. Whether you rollback or not. That means for example if you want the latest and greatest you need HX Edit 2.81, firmware version 2.81, and Native 1.81. If you can't remember at this point what you have tried I would uninstall and reinstall again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, naturian said:

Sorry for not telling you what I already tried i even can't remember what I tried :'D 

 

I know that feeling!

At this point I only see two choices:

 

Call tech support and see what they say. Another user with problems said that they had him delete a bunch of stuff that the uninstall didn't catch, and it solved his problem.

I know you don't want to do it, but it's Windows. Sometimes it just gets hosed so bad that nothing but a fresh install will do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, HonestOpinion said:

Just wanted to reiterate that you must get the versions of HX Edit, your firmware, and Native matched up if you want everything to play nicely together. Whether you rollback or not. That means for example if you want the latest and greatest you need HX Edit 2.81, firmware version 2.81, and Native 1.81. If you can't remember at this point what you have tried I would uninstall and reinstall again.

 

My previous post assumes that you've done all this (but don't remember for sure). If not, then this is what you need to do first. I'm sure that tech support will say the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, HonestOpinion said:

 

The title of your topic refers to HX 2.81 but you mention only 2.8 here.  The latest revision to 2.80 is 2.81. You mention "crashed immediately when I connected the floor." Are you physically connecting the Helix while HX Edit is already up and running? If so, not that it should crash it anyway, but I would instead connect the Helix first, turn it on, and then start HX Edit.

 

Sorry. I mean I tried all the edits in ver. 2.70/2.71/2.80 and 2.81. Only 2.60 starts properly. It's only about the start. I dont get any GUI like it should, just a "frozen" or blank screen - however i should describe this phenomenon (watch my uploaded screenshot made with on my notebook, where HX Edit and Native starts properly). It doesnt depend on the Helix because HX Edit doesnt even start in a way. Can you follow me? It's really hard for me to describe this error.

 

Quote

Not sure what you mean by "Disconnect every Option in the menu bar was available (not faded out in grey)..."?

 

I can go through the upper menu bar with my mouse and click every single option on my desktop, because it's not grayed out, unlike on my nb.

 

Quote

I assume you mean you have not been able to authorize your computer with Native. I would definitely resolve that just to eliminate it as a possible problem.

 

Okay, that was my only suggestion I had to this problem, because Native behaves exactly the same like HX Edit.

 

Quote

Just wanted to reiterate that you must get the versions of HX Edit, your firmware, and Native matched up if you want everything to play nicely together. Whether you rollback or not.

That means for example if you want the latest and greatest you need HX Edit 2.81, firmware version 2.81, and Native 1.81. If you can't remember at this point what you have tried I would uninstall and reinstall again.

 

Thanks I will check every option again and see if the error is in the deep of the system.

 

15 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

 

I know that feeling!

At this point I only see two choices:

 

Call tech support and see what they say. Another user with problems said that they had him delete a bunch of stuff that the uninstall didn't catch, and it solved his problem.

I know you don't want to do it, but it's Windows. Sometimes it just gets hosed so bad that nothing but a fresh install will do.

 

Thanks. Gonna check that after. :) Yeah I'm very sure a restore will do it, but my system works nevertheless flawlessly. Reinstalling all the programs, plug-ins etc. is a horror scenario... *puke* :)

Unbenannt.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Addition: After deleting every Line 6 app and folder and installing Native 2.60 it worked. Upgrading Native to 2.81 same "error" occures. :( Same with HX Edit. As seen in the image below, HX Edit starts flawless.

 

 

Unbenannt.JPG

 

Addition 2: Last working versions of Edit and Native are 1.70/2.70 for me. I called the tech support and they reported, that this issue i known in two, three more cases.. So it looks like a deeper problem. Thank you anyway for your help. I will wait for the next bug fixes and hope, that this problem will get solved.

 

Regards!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
 
32 minutes ago, naturian said:

Thanks. Gonna check that after. :) Yeah I'm very sure a restore will do it, but my system works nevertheless flawlessly. Reinstalling all the programs, plug-ins etc. is a horror scenario... *puke* :)

 


Well, I'd suggest that it isn't flawless since you are having an issue that you think a system restore will fix! :) Just kidding!

Are you running Windows 10 Pro, or better? If so, have you tried installing HX Edit in the Windows 10 Sandbox, just to see if it works correctly there? Not a solution I know as you'd lose it when you shut the sandbox down, but it would at least "prove" that it is something in your current Windows setup that is causing the issue?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no Native 2.60 or 2.80, the latest version is 1.81. What you are showing there is HX Edit 2.60. What version of the firmware were you on when you took this screenshot? What version of the firmware were you on when you tried HX Edit 2.81? Have you tried disconnecting the Helix from your PC and rebooting it? This has helped a lot of people by resetting the USB connection. Also try every USB connection on your PC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, HonestOpinion said:

There is no Native 2.60 or 2.80, the latest version is 1.81. What you are showing there is HX Edit 2.60. What version of the firmware were you on when you took this screenshot? What version of the firmware were you on when you tried HX Edit 2.81? Have you tried disconnecting the Helix from your PC and rebooting it? This has helped a lot of people by resetting the USB connection. Also try every USB connection on your PC.

Sorry i mean 1.60. and 1.80. 

 

I reported the Tech Support that HX Edit works until 2.70 and Native until 1.70. From HX Edit 2.71 and Native 1.71 it stopped working. :) I never connect the Helix to the PC because it's not a Hardware issue. The programs/plug-ins themself doesnt work. Only in the above-mentioned versions (Native 1.70 and HX Edit 2.70). 

 

The device and HX Edit works flawless in combination with my Notebook. Even with the floor disconnected HX Edit 2.71 and above starts flawlessly.

 

37 minutes ago, foxmeister said:


Well, I'd suggest that it isn't flawless since you are having an issue that you think a system restore will fix! :) Just kidding!

Are you running Windows 10 Pro, or better? If so, have you tried installing HX Edit in the Windows 10 Sandbox, just to see if it works correctly there? Not a solution I know as you'd lose it when you shut the sandbox down, but it would at least "prove" that it is something in your current Windows setup that is causing the issue?

 

 

But that's a clue at least :D

 

Yeah I'm running Windows 10 Pro 1903. Just give me a second. I'll try it running in sandbox. It might has to do something with the OS. But why would All versions of Native and Edit work until 1.70/2.70 if it's an OS based problem? :/

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I  couldn't get HX Edit to run in the Windows Sandbox, so it looks like that is a bust.

FWIW, I'm also running Windows 10 Pro 1903, and I've no issues with either Native or HX Edit.

 

Given they both exhibit the same issues, and that both present a "graphical" interface when running, I'm wondering if your white screen is indicative of a graphics card driver issue.

I'm running a GTX 1070, with driver version 431.60.

 

image.png.fe40c6fb3eb5f98ac529b2ed00a6246d.png
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, naturian said:

I know that native is a VST. But as I said, it loads with a blank screen in studio one 4, harrison mix bus and any other vst host and I can't do anything. Same with HX Edit. It doesn't matter if the floor is connected or not. The app doesn't start properly. That's why it can't be any driver, firmware or USB problem. The old Helix editor is starting but doesn't detect the floor. And as I've seen, the login came after ver. 2.60  (the version that used to work on my PC) what supports my claim. 

 

Any further suggestions?

 

regards

 

This thing with the “blank screen” came up  last week on the dedicated Helix Native pages of this forum.

 

I’m not a Windows user, but I will repeat here what I posted in that thread.

 

The only mention of this “blank screen” issue is with Windows computers. What I discovered is that it could be something to do with the graphics driver.

 

In fact this is the quote I found.

 

Known graphics card issue, update drivers and reinstall .NET framework”

 

Hope this helps / makes sense

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys,

 

sandbox isn't running due to 0x80070002, i'm still looking for a solution. I tried running HX Edit over the onboard graphics card but same pheonomenon affects. Drivers are up to date and .NET framework was reinstalled. Do you know which Framework HX Edit uses, datacommando?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, foxmeister said:

Given they both exhibit the same issues, and that both present a "graphical" interface when running, I'm wondering if your white screen is indicative of a graphics card driver issue.

 

Hi foxmeister,

 

Good suggestion. You may wish to check out my post above re: GUI and graphic card drivers in Windows to see if you can progress this and see if it helps  :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, naturian said:

Hey guys,

 

sandbox isn't running due to 0x80070002, i'm still looking for a solution. I tried running HX Edit over the onboard graphics card but same pheonomenon affects. Drivers are up to date and .NET framework was reinstalled. Do you know which Framework HX Edit uses, datacommando?

 

Hi,

 

Sorry, I’m not a Widows user, that quote is all I found - reference to the .NET framework. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, datacommando said:

 

This thing with the “blank screen” came up  last week on the dedicated Helix Native pages of this forum.

 

I’m not a Windows user, but I will repeat here what I posted in that thread.

 

The only mention of this “blank screen” issue is with Windows computers. What I discovered is that it could be something to do with the graphics driver.

 

In fact this is the quote I found.

 

Known graphics card issue, update drivers and reinstall .NET framework”

 

Hope this helps / makes sense

 

I wonder if changing the resolution might help with the blank screen?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, HonestOpinion said:

 

I wonder if changing the resolution might help with the blank screen?

 

 

Hi,

 

I’m a Mac Jockey so all I can say is - nothing to lose, give it a shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, HonestOpinion said:

 

I wonder if changing the resolution might help with the blank screen?

 

Didn't work. I'll try to fix the sandbox issue first. after i will give you a report..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't found any solution until today.. Guess it'll never be fixed because of the minor appearance of this problem. :( But hope dies last. Thank you anyway for your suggestions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, naturian said:

Haven't found any solution until today.. Guess it'll never be fixed because of the minor appearance of this problem. :( But hope dies last. Thank you anyway for your suggestions.

 

Hi, 

 

That's a rather negative attitude to take. Obviously, at some stage it will be fixed, but I don't think that Line 6  would have been able to test Native on every available configuration of Windows machines out in the big wide world.
 

May be you are looking at this from the wrong end of the telescope - it could be the problem lies with your computer. You have told us in you first post that Native works perfectly well on your Lenovo E460 with Windows 10. That would indicate the problem is not with Native.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m having the same exact issue, just to offer comfort ;).  I’m not running Native at all, never have. I’ve tried everything you’ve tried with no luck. I’ve given up, it’s in Line 6 hands at this point. FYI, I’m running AMD Radeon graphics, you are GTX. So it doesn’t sound like a graphics card or driver issue.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, naturian said:

Haven't found any solution until today.. Guess it'll never be fixed because of the minor appearance of this problem. :( But hope dies last. Thank you anyway for your suggestions.

 

6 minutes ago, spenserj87 said:

I’m having the same exact issue, just to offer comfort ;).  I’m not running Native at all, never have. I’ve tried everything you’ve tried with no luck. I’ve given up, it’s in Line 6 hands at this point. FYI, I’m running AMD Radeon graphics, you are GTX. So it doesn’t sound like a graphics card or driver issue.  

 

Have you contacted support? What did they tell you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, datacommando said:

 

Hi, 

 

That's a rather negative attitude to take. Obviously, at some stage it will be fixed, but I don't think that Line 6  would have been able to test Native on every available configuration of Windows machines out in the big wide world.
 

May be you are looking at this from the wrong end of the telescope - it could be the problem lies with your computer. You have told us in you first post that Native works perfectly well on your Lenovo E460 with Windows 10. That would indicate the problem is not with Native.

 

 

It's not meant to be that negative as it sounds, but it has a very minor appearance.. Tech Support told me that they have 2 or 3 more reported cases with the same issues in Europe. I use native 1.70 for that period to the next update. Not sure if my PC is the problem, but it's very mysterious, that Native and HX Edit work flawlessly until 1.70/2.70 and not on newer versions. 

 

21 hours ago, rd2rk said:

 

 

Have you contacted support? What did they tell you?

I did. watch my upper sentence. As i remember there were no cases in the USA only in Europe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same issue here.  Just jumped from a Mac to Windows 10, fresh install of 10 home 1903. Updated my HX Effects & Edit to 2.8.2, Native 1.82.  Screen popup with capture of my background applications.  Logged a ticket. Rolling back does not seem to help.   Seeing if anyone has had any relief with this issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same issue here. Also a European user. I followed the patch notes to the letter.  Even formatted my HD and re-installed Windows 10 (1903) in an attempt to fix. I'll open a ticket and report if it gets sorted out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same issue. I'm in the US. I've contacted support. I've gone back and forth with them trying the usual stuff that I've already tried. Has anyone gotten to the bottom of this yet? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

same issue here, ( From France) windows 10 1903 on PC

I used  HX stomp since i bought it with HX Edit without any issue for 6months, i did the necessary with Firmware 2.82 and everything was perfect till last week.

I experiement no conection between HX Stomp and HX edit ( no device connected message), i tried to reload HX edit many times nothing!

I'll also open a ticket and the answer was to press FS2 and FS3 switch and power on the Stomp....

The issue is evidently another thing but what?

I report if something new happens.

 

Sorry for my poor English.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, refagaem said:

The issue is evidently another thing but what?

 

Unlike the Mac World (they have their own set of problems), Windows is relatively unstructured in the sense that manufacturers can do pretty much whatever they want, and users have trillions of HW and SW options. All of these variables have gazillions of possible interactions. Add to that the monthly Windows updates and the unfortunate fact that the New Regime at Microsoft doesn't give a rat's patootie about individual users' needs (the money is with corporations in the cloud), we're pretty much on our own out here.

 

I say the above because although I occasionally have problems, I have a long history with Windows, and have no problem reading and deciphering manuals and technical documents, so I can usually resolve my issues quickly. This is not the case for many Windows users, many of whom should be using MACs. That's not meant to be insulting. It's just a fact that due to Apple's strict enforcement of standards, life is easier over there. Plug and Play means just that, whereas here in Windows World it's known as "Plug and Pray". Also, MAC Support personnel are, for the most part, knowledgeable adults. If you've ever tried getting help from Microsoft you know that you need to go up to at least the third tier to find one of those. 

 

Now, consider that L6 support folks are stuck in the middle of that mess, it's easy to see how difficult it is to separate the Helix bugs from the Windows bugs.

 

I haven't had any problems for several Helix/Windows updates that reinstalling the drivers hasn't fixed. For those who've been less fortunate, my condolences and best wishes for a speedy resolution to your problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rd2rk said:

"This is not the case for many Windows users, many of whom should be using MACs. That's not meant to be insulting. It's just a fact that due to Apple's strict enforcement of standards, life is easier over there. Plug and Play means just that, whereas here in Windows World it's known as "Plug and Pray". Also, MAC Support personnel are, for the most part, knowledgeable adults. If you've ever tried getting help from Microsoft you know that you need to go up to at least the third tier to find one of those

 

Now, consider that L6 support folks are stuck in the middle of that mess, it's easy to see how difficult it is to separate the Helix bugs from the Windows bugs."

Please explain how this exonerates line6 from supporting a paid product?

 

This could be said for any piece of software that needs to run on Windows which still holds a very large majority of the market.  I am happy to lodge a bug or give any log info that the devs need to fix this issue or at least push it to the responsible parties.  I have offered up any information that I can, but Line6 has not asked me for anything and appear to be happy to sit on their hands on this issue that is affecting a number of users.  I have email from support that is separate from this thread that indicate there is no priority to resolving this, as there has been no update in quite some time.  

 

I have been having this issue since at least October.  I would have gladly bought the HX Native plugin if it would have worked on my Windows machine.  I have a Mac, but I prefer to use Windows(*gasp*) because it is my personal preference.  I will not purchase any more line6 equipment based on this level of support.  If it works, you're in luck. If it doesn't then IDK buy Apple I guess is the suggestion?  

 

edit. I wanted to add that this issue is on a new build of Win10 on a fully updated and registered HP workstation that is explicitly used for music production and the only issues that I am having are manifested within Line6 software. I do not use cracked software in any form on this system at all. Nor is it used for anything but production in Ableton and Reaper. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, massatari said:

Please explain how this exonerates line6 from supporting a paid product?

 

This could be said for any piece of software that needs to run on Windows which still holds a very large majority of the market.  I am happy to lodge a bug or give any log info that the devs need to fix this issue or at least push it to the responsible parties.  I have offered up any information that I can, but Line6 has not asked me for anything and appear to be happy to sit on their hands on this issue that is affecting a number of users.  I have email from support that is separate from this thread that indicate there is no priority to resolving this, as there has been no update in quite some time.  

 

I have been having this issue since at least October.  I would have gladly bought the HX Native plugin if it would have worked on my Windows machine.  I have a Mac, but I prefer to use Windows(*gasp*) because it is my personal preference.  I will not purchase any more line6 equipment based on this level of support.  If it works, you're in luck. If it doesn't then IDK buy Apple I guess is the suggestion?  

 

And most every piece of software ever written for Windows has at some point had problems on different Windows HW platforms and after SOME Windows updates.

 

It is NOT unique to Line6.

 

As stated, with the same OS as you, I (and most others) have no such problems. Therefore, it CAN NOT be purely a Line6 problem.

 

I have 3 very different Windows 10 computers (2 different laptops and an ancient DIY desktop) and they all work fine with Helix and HX Edit, every version since day one.

 

Maybe you need to get over your Windows preference and use your MAC?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

 

And most every piece of software ever written for Windows has at some point had problems on different Windows HW platforms and after SOME Windows updates.

 

It is NOT unique to Line6.

 

I think you're proving my point. This is a standard part of software development and support. 

 

Quote

 

As stated, with the same OS as you, I (and most others) have no such problems. Therefore, it CAN NOT be purely a Line6 problem.

 

I have 3 very different Windows 10 computers (2 different laptops and an ancient DIY desktop) and they all work fine with Helix and HX Edit, every version since day one.

 

Maybe you need to get over your Windows preference and use your MAC?

 

No thank you. I don't want to be forced into using a platform because of purchased software that does not work on an approved platform. 

 

edit: just pointing out that I"m not the one that started this thread. This is a legit issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

 

I have 3 very different Windows 10 computers (2 different laptops and an ancient DIY desktop) and they all work fine with Helix and HX Edit, every version since day one.

 

You have had 3 different configurations. 

4 hours ago, rd2rk said:

 

Windows is relatively unstructured in the sense that manufacturers can do pretty much whatever they want, and users have trillions of HW and SW options. All of these variables have gazillions of possible interactions. 

 

Out of a "gazillion" . 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, massatari said:

 

You have had 3 different configurations. 

 

Out of a "gazillion" . 

 

 

And your point is?

 

My point is that if this was a Line6 bug, surely at least one of my 3 different configurations would have manifested it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

 

And your point is?

 

My point is that if this was a Line6 bug, surely at least one of my 3 different configurations would have manifested it. 

 

 

 

I don't know how to do math on a gazillion, so lets call it a million.  What you're saying is that in 3 cases out of a million: if it didn't happen in these 3 instances, then it's not an issue?

 

You're confident that testing 0.00003 of a population would be enough for line6 to dismiss the issue as 'not my problem, works on my machine'?  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, massatari said:

No thank you. I don't want to be forced into using a platform because of purchased software that does not work on an approved platform. 

 

edit: just pointing out that I"m not the one that started this thread. This is a legit issue. 

 

22 minutes ago, massatari said:

How bout line6 fixes their software?

 

Let's see.... Windows is the platform used by the vast majority of PC users.

Therefore it follows that the vast majority of Helix/HX Edit users use Windows.

THOUSANDS of Helix/Windows users perform an update.

A dozen or less post here with problems that they can't resolve on their personal configuration of the Windows platform.

THEREFORE IT"S A LINE 6 BUG?

 

Sorry kids, that does NOT compute. If it was a Line6 problem we'd ALL be experiencing it, and my 0.00003 sampling would not be immune.

 

I'm not saying that it's not an issue. I am saying that there are so many variables involved in a Windows system that the fact that it's a small minority of users who have the problem points to conditions in their systems, and that Line6 can't possibly be expected to test for all of them. MICROSOFT can't do it, and they have a lot bigger development staff than L6.

 

I'm pressing this point because when you use comments like "they're sitting on their hands" and "how about L6 fixes their software" it strikes me (as a former software developer and LONG TIME user of computers, and Windows support provider, and L6 user) as just plain ignorant. They try harder than any other HW/SW company I've ever worked with.

 

NOTE:

IGNORANT means "not knowing", as opposed to STUPID, which means "not able to know." Ignorance can be cured, and we do it here every day.

There's no cure for STUPID.

 

The fact is, L6 support will work with you to solve your problem. Hell, if you live in Colorado, bring me your computer, I'll fix it for ya, FREE! THAT'S how confident I am!

 

But if you insist on coming from a position of "It can't possibly be MY problem, it MUST be a bug, and L6 doesn't care!" despite the fact that you're in the tiny minority of users who have the problem, well, is that ignorance or stupidity?

 

Probably just understandable frustration with not being able to do what we all want to do most, which is play our darn guitars!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/8/2019 at 5:53 PM, rd2rk said:

 

And most every piece of software ever written for Windows has at some point had problems on different Windows HW platforms and after SOME Windows updates.

 

It is NOT unique to Line6.

 

As stated, with the same OS as you, I (and most others) have no such problems. Therefore, it CAN NOT be purely a Line6 problem.

 

I have 3 very different Windows 10 computers (2 different laptops and an ancient DIY desktop) and they all work fine with Helix and HX Edit, every version since day one.

 

Maybe you need to get over your Windows preference and use your MAC?

 

No doubt these issues get really difficult to track down as the issue may lie with Windows, the motherboard drivers, one of the other peripherals or drivers, or even perhaps Line6. Although I don't see this much these days as compared to some years ago, sometimes it is caused by a driver grabbing an interrupt that is reserved by Windows either for, or by, some other device/driver. In essence making an unauthorized call/demand to the OS, hardware, or kernel. That means the permutations of hardware/software are almost infinite for what could be the root cause. It would also explain why it works on most every setup except for a select few.

 

A good start is swapping USB cables and updating MB drivers. From there troubleshooting by disabling or even removing device drivers one by one can be a next step. Disconnect any peripherals you can. I would remove and reinstall all of the Helix software/drivers before that making sure to check all the boxes in HX Edit upon reinstall. The problem when you are in a small minority of users hitting this issue is that there is a lot less incentive for Line6 to invest the resources to track the issue down. Particularly given the possibility that it is not their device causing the issue. For the user this means going through the troubleshooting steps(not necessarily helpful particularly if your graphics card is the source of a conflict) or just picking another computer to use with the Helix.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...