Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix HX effects, not Updated to latest version?

Gkf9

I've just got my Helix HX and downloaded the latest version of Helix Edit, but my HX only updated from 2.5 something to 2.95 something after being prompted that there was an update.

Any ideas why it didn't update to 3.0.1? 

TIA

2 hours ago, Gkf9 said:

I've just got my Helix HX and downloaded the latest version of Helix Edit, but my HX only updated from 2.5 something to 2.95 something after being prompted that there was an update.

Any ideas why it didn't update to 3.0.1? 

TIA

If you downloaded the latest current version of HX Edit(3.0.1) then down in the bar at the bottom of HX Edit you should see a prompt for the latest 3.0.2 version of the firmware.  If you don't you can go to the top menu bar and select 'Help' --> 'Check For Updates'.  If neither of these approaches work then I would consider backing up, running a global reset and trying again. You might also try uninstalling HX Edit and reinstalling HX Edit 3.0.1 again and see if the proper firmware update shows up in HX Edit. If all else fails you can download the Line6 Updater and update your firmware manually.

Update: Reread your topic title and it appears you have the HX Effects. Have edited my post accordingly.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

You didn't mention how you went about the upgrade.  With my HX Effects, I downloaded the latest HX Edit from the main downloads section of the line6.com website and installed that.  It puts the most recent version of line6 updater, drivers, and of course hx edit.   Next you connect your HX Effects to the computer, and back it up.  You can skip that step if you haven't created any patches.    

After that, run the Line 6 Updater.  It will prompt you through the process and will likely suggest you install firmware 3.02 (The latest I have installed on mine).  

Always start with the HX Edit download in the future.   

I imagine it failed because you had such an old version of the HX Edit installed on your computer.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, bobcoss said:

You didn't mention how you went about the upgrade.  With my HX Effects, I downloaded the latest HX Edit from the main downloads section of the line6.com website and installed that.  It puts the most recent version of line6 updater, drivers, and of course hx edit.   Next you connect your HX Effects to the computer, and back it up.  You can skip that step if you haven't created any patches.    

After that, run the Line 6 Updater.  It will prompt you through the process and will likely suggest you install firmware 3.02 (The latest I have installed on mine).  

Always start with the HX Edit download in the future.   

I imagine it failed because you had such an old version of the HX Edit installed on your computer.

I downloaded the latest version of Helix edit 3.0.1, connected to the Helix HX effects unit, it then prompted me for an update, all went well, but it only updated to 2.95.

Maybe I should try the updater?

39 minutes ago, HonestOpinion said:

Little confused as to which device you own but it appears to be the Helix. If you downloaded the latest current version of HX Edit(3.0.1) then down in the bar at the bottom of HX Edit you should see a prompt for the latest 3.0.1 version of the firmware.  If you don't you can go to the top menu bar and select 'Help' --> 'Check For Updates'.  If neither of these approaches work then I would consider backing up, running a global reset and trying again. You might also try uninstalling HX Edit and reinstalling HX Edit 3.0.1 again and see if the proper firmware update shows up in HX Edit. If all else fails you can download the Line6 Updater and update your firmware manually.

As far as I know the previous owner factory reset the unit.

I'll try your other suggestions, thanks for your help.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bobcoss said:

Yes. You need to use the Line 6 Updater to get the best results. 

There is a pinned topic in this form that emphasizes it.   Backup using HX Edit,  update using the line 6 updater.

Funny to see in the other thread, about exactly same topic, someone saying exactly the opposite. :)

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, PierM said:

Funny to see in the other thread, about exactly same topic, someone saying exactly the opposite. :)

The Line 6 updater, wouldn't update either to the latest version. 

As of HX Edit v3.01 you should always begin the update process from HX Edit. It will detect that updates are available and manage the entire process for you. The only reason you should use Line 6 Updater now is if something unexpected happens and the automatic update procedure fails.

This is especially important now that v3.10 has been released. If you haven’t already downloaded and installed HX Edit v3.01 start there. 

I have seen a ridiculous number of people on the Facebook groups and here complain that they got the notification in HXEdit that 3.1 is out, and followed the prompts from HXEdit to upgrade and then couldn't see the the new models because their HXEdit didn't update.   I stand by my original recommendations.   Download and Install the newest version HXEdit first. 

Once you have it installed, you can use HXEdit to update if you want.  It is nice that the update process from HXEdit prompts you to do the backup and gives the instructions, but this is really no better in my opinion than just doing it the original way.    I've see way too many confused people because they end up with a Helix with the latest firmware, but HXEdit is not updated.

Happy updating everyone!

• Thanks 1